Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

SerSpook posted:

Well holy poo poo. That was a hell of an interlude.

Seriously, jesus christ.

That answered a few question while at the same time making a dozen more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
Well, I guess we can't complain that they were going to draw it out too long, heh.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
I love how, even with everything bleak, the story still retains some humor and charm.

Spoiler : Cockroaches 28 -1

I like that they're managing to regroup, even if they can't do much- the parallel earths thing is a good excuse to take Scion out of the story for a little bit, and honestly, I'm really curious what's going to happen when you have Endbringers that are showing up on a world without anything left to really destroy. This reads like a pretty good story reset in some ways, and it'll be nice to take the action down a level for a few chapters and get some new/cool development.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Skippy McPants posted:

28.1:

Love that bit about the Simurgh showing up and having nothing to do.

Heh, seriously, that might've been my favorite part.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Mr. Fowl posted:

I'm going to be disappointed if this isn't brought up, like how they eventually explained the origin of the unfortunate Assault & Battery name pairing :3:

Oh, god, I remember laughing like an idiot when I hit Battery's reaction to that whole situation.

"Wait! No! You can't do that!"

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
Well I can't say I expected this plan.

Cockroaches 28.3 Spoilers:
Let's just go talk to the Simurgh!

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
Oh. Dear.

Venom 29.7 Spoilers:

Well, I guess that explains how Cauldron was harvesting abilities.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
Venom 29.9 Spoilers:

"And then it all went wrong."

Oh gently caress, oh gently caress, oh gently caress. I'm pretty sure this is going to be bad.

A mass-manipulation power without any sort of regulation?

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
New Update!

About the end.. Oh, no. No, no, no. Not Dragon. :(

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
Jesus CHRIST, that most recent update.

Spoiler from it, there's a reference to The Sleeper when Taylor is world-hopping hunting for more power- that's one of the plot threads that they've said is being setting up for a potential sequel, right?

Regardless.. That was intense the entire way through. And the next episode looks like the showdown. Hell, I'm just glad that Dragon survived.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
Jesus.

The best part for me, as they've been building it up over several updates, was her recollection/speech suffering as she became less and less human.

Like, small typos at first, then stuttering, losing grasp on her anchors, and finally in this update outright forgetting names and replacing them with titles- dog girl, brilliant friend, faerie queen.

Not sure why, but that was just so effective to me at showing her deteriorating mental state.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
Wow. Just.. Wow.

That was a hell of an ending for Taylor- as much as I love the character, I'm very much glad that they didn't go for redemption, or rehabilitation.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
New update!

Man, I'm glad that Dragon gets a happy ending, even if it's bittersweet. She was always one of my favorite characters throughout the story.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
New Pact is a selection of readings from some of their basic books.

So, Rose being the familiar is even more obvious now. The book says directly that Others can draw power from a familiar connection, and use it to stabilize themselves even if they would otherwise be fading. That seems like a pretty direct hint, more so than what everyone else has been saying so far.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Lyon posted:

drat this latest update will be the one that finally got me hooked I think. I was going to read it no matter what because Worm was awesome (and I have a lot of free time) but now I'm invested.

Yeah, same here. I've found Pact a bit.. Unmotivated/slow so far, but the last update was cool.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
New Pact.

See, this is an improvement. I like this- a little more personality out of Blake, a temporary ceasefire with the whole Rose situation (although that'll obviously be a big storyline point eventually), and the plot moving forward. I'm hoping it keeps some of this momentum.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Tollymain posted:

Well, we've been talking about how he doesn't have allies, which wasn't quite true. He had allies, just none who knew enough to be of any help. Looks like that's about to change :getin:

I was so absolutely pumped when I read those last few lines.

This is gonna get gooooooood.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Lyon posted:

Great a unstable artist types being taught about magic... this won't lead to trouble.

Heh, that gives me a thought..

With all the stress that Blake put on these people being his family when talking to Evan, I want him to teach them, grow them around him as a support structure (like the other magical families we've encountered so far), and then roll back into Jacob's Bell and loving break faces.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Pavlov posted:

Oh wow, that chapter of Pact had a really good gimmick. It took me a bit staring in confusion to figure it out, but it made sense when I noticed that the last chapter was 6.10. We skipped chapter 11, and so did Blake.

Oh, jesus christ, I didn't even realize that. Fantastic.

Looking at this chapter, one of the things I'm coming to appreciate the most in the story is the way that Blake and Evan interact. In a story where everything is grim, and everyone is out to get you, I like that there's some level of trust there- the line where Blake asks Evan if he'll forgive him for using The Hyena, and Evan just sort of frustratingly goes, "Yeah, of course," was a bit of a relief (rather than more grudges and angst). And, likewise, the fact that Blake is willing to entrust so much to Evan- like giving him control over the sword.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
Best line from tonight's Pact entry:

“Maybe you didn’t, because you’re not even half as excited as I am about the idea! Imagine me doing everything I’ve been doing already, except I’m on fire.”

Evan remains my favorite character by far. :D

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
..holy gently caress, the twist in that last chapter was something I literally did not see coming in the slightest bit.

drat.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
New Pact update, and it continues to be fantastic stuff. I'm glad I stuck with this so far, because an iffy beginning has lead into this part, which is awesome.

Also, I absolutely loved that Blake outright described Rose as smug and condescending, because christ, it has become veeeery easy to hate her, and I really wasn't a fan before. The scene in the house was tragic though, especially Evan.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Wittgen posted:

I have been reading Twig update to update. This is the first Wildbow story I've read this way. I was too late to the Worm party and I couldn't stand reading Pact that way. But Twig is great. The arcs are more episodic and focused feeling. The characters' powers are almost 100% being perceptive and clever, and it's a lot of fun to read.

All of this is true, and on top of that, there are plenty of chapter that are more or less JUST character-building and world-building moments, as opposed to the %150 BALLS TO THE WALL ACTION of Pact (and later era Worm).

Twig is pretty solid; I'm enjoying seeing how it develops.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
Twig's been super enjoyable lately- but yeah, I sorta fall into the trap of not really having anything interesting to say about it, heh.

I do love that it has so much character interaction/development, which is something I felt Pact lacked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
I gave Unsong a try, and you guys are right, it seems solid- kind of a fascinating concept to explore.

And the Uriel chapter had me dying laughing, so.

• Locked thread