Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

SerSpook posted:

Or maybe I missed whatever it was that Defiant meant there. Hell, maybe he was threatening Saint with them.

I think he was threatening that the Undersiders could take him out, and Tattletale is would probably make better use of Dragon than Saint could, possibly even better than Dragon could, because of her ability.

Anyway, just caught up after a long binge read, absolutely loving it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

sirtommygunn posted:

This thread needs to be renamed Web Serials: Worm Declassified.

To try and get away from making the entire page a CIA document, I'll say that one of the big tics in Wildbow's writing that bugs me a bit is that he seems to love the word copacetic. It's not terrible, but it started to bug me as it got to the later chapters and I began to think 'Someone might want to show him a thesaurus.'

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Whee, looks like Bonesaw and Pancaea are going to have a little chat.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Well, I suppose that just happened. If there's any point that Skitter's going to have her second trigger, it'd probably be right about now. During Scion's update it seems that she was basically on the verge of it happening, plus the fact that she's come to terms with the passenger and herself- which was apparently one of the things keeping her back, and she was just abandoned by pretty well everyone.

Also, as I'm reading though this again, it's kinda cool picking up on all the really cool foreshadowing and hints that you notice once you've seen what happens. Like Pancaea's feelings towards Gallant and Glory Girl and the reactions and interactions that they have with each other.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Dietrich posted:

Scion Listened to Jack, maybe because he got the Communicator shard.

Didn't Taylor get that one too?

Taylor got the broadcaster shard didn't she? Which is similar to the communicator shard, but not quite the same.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Well, I was wrong, and it just goes to show that Wildbow can always say "Yes, it can get worse."

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Oh I'm sure it's possible, but still it's not like either of those two has a history of doing a very good job when it comes to rebuilding large portions of a person's body.

I disagree, Bonesaw has had quite a bit of experience doing so, it's just melding two whole people together is when she had a bit of trouble.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

A Simurgh interlude, it ends with her showing up at the same place that Scion is attacking.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Honestly, it doesn't bother me too much- Wildbow said that it wasn't counting towards the donation chapter count, and it's not a full chapter. I don't think it works as well at it would in a written book, but I think the impact would be pretty impressive in an ebook style or in a paper print.

Either way, I like it, and now I'm wondering why they're so impactful. The theory running around the forums there is that Eidolon is unwittingly creating the Endbringers with his power

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Cytokinesis posted:

It's not so much that it made him give up as it is that it shocked him so badly that it left him completely open for Scion to kill. Though we don't know yet whether that kill shot was intended for him or for Glaistig Ulaine though.

I'm guessing we're not going to know for another chapter or two anyway. As it's going to jump back to Skitter/Weaver's PoV and her whole issue of near death/getting her shard repaired thing that is probably going to happen.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

I was just thinking about Stephen King's Carrie and how similar Taylor's trigger event is to Carrie's first trigger.

It's obviously an homage.

That plus she basically said in chapter 1 or 2 that she could have gone all Carrie on the school, but she didn't want to. So she went all Carrie on the city instead.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I think it was Bakuda for me, when Wildbow really showed that no, (s)he wasn't going to pull any punches on the characters.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah, this chapter is showing Taylor spiralling hard out of control, her taken to the logical extreme. Which is why I think that her anchor is almost certainly going to be her father. Tattletale will find him, or his corpse, and end up showing him to Taylor, to try and pull her back into the real world.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Well, holy poo poo is really the only thing I can think of is that there are Not too many capes left across the world now- only about 5000 of them or so- Scion's been busy. Hopefully it's enough.

Otherwise, my reaction can only be summed up by :suspense:

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

And to think this all started with a girl getting shoved into a locker full of used tampons.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

So it looks like Taylor got one final name in the end: Khepri, the Scarab, the Rising Sun. Kinda fitting, really.

But holy hell that was an ending. Not often a piece of writing gets me to tear up.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 29, 2013

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

So taylor could have a painless, merciful death.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

NecroMonster posted:

Fatalistic and depressing.

Worm, boiled down to 3 words.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

So that's the reason why Imp's been getting smarter. Also, drat the Heartbroken have vicious power.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Shards still mature and splinter. So I don't see superheroes going anywhere any time soon.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Teacher said something along the lines of "Contessa shot her, she's dead". It looks like it got edited out.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Thriller

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

gently caress. Don't know if I want Boil or Pact more. Both come off really strong.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

That makes sense (though more the "was preoccupied with the end of the world" thing, since she was getting along well with the Undersides pre-Leviathan, which was the first near-death situation).

I'm curious as to why the Undersiders were still considered villains during the long time Taylor was with the Chicago Wards. There was mention of them negotiating with other groups, like Accord, and I'm trying to figure out what the gently caress those other villain groups were even doing in Brocktown if the Undersiders were negotiating them away from actual criminal activity. Are the Undersiders just villains by virtue of their past crimes and the fact they don't want to join the Protectorate (which might be the only way to absolve yourself of past crimes as a villain)? I remember Taylor negotiating some sort of peace/ceasefire with Miss Militia's Brockton Bay Protectorate, but I'm not sure if that actually means they stopped technically being villains.

Probably mostly because they were shaking down people for protection money, and weren't paying taxes. They were the mob minus prostitution and the trafficking.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

An optimistic ending isn't necessarily a happy ending either. Taylor had to lose literally everything in order to realize that she was a completely unrepentant monster, and is only starting to repair the burned bridges with her father. She realizes she was a complete utter and unrepentant monster that wrought more destruction than built anything, and is still struggling with the guilt of that. That's not exactly a happy ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

The point is that if events are predetermined, then there is no concept of free will in that universe.

• Locked thread