Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Went through it ages ago, so caveat lector because I don't know how it holds up on a re-read, but whilst we're talking superhero serials, I quite enjoyed Interviewing Leather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

sizuka2 posted:

Interviewing Leather is solid.

You know it's got a sequel running right now, Interviewing Trey?

I do, though I haven't given it a shot yet.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

28.xScion has Contessa's power, and the good guys need a way to beat that if they're going to beat him. If the Irregulars have something that trumps Contessa, then it should help against Scion as well.

Not necessarily. The way I understand Contessa's power, it shows her the route to the best possible outcome to any given situation. The key to beating it, therefore, is to create a situation where even the best possible outcome is pretty sucky. That's a lot harder to do when your opponent is an alien god who your powers are literally designed not to hurt. Seriously, Zion is so insanely overpowered that I really can't see a violent solution working against him.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Alternative option - he's called the Sleeper because his power is dormant and monstrously powerful. Just an ordinary guy whose buttons nobody wants to push in case they end up missing a universe or two.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Algid posted:

No, they knew that Coil and the undersiders were important, and that they couldn't interfere with their development too overtly. It's probably the same general sense Dinah got of Taylor.

Accord knew as well and he was trying to help them along, the Simurgh assassinated him for that. If we assume the Simurgh still wants to maximize conflict, and that Taylor is actually dead, it could just be that she needed an air gun to push her in the right direction. I somehow doubt the glass tube is somehow just an air gun though, so Taylor is almost definitely still alive. It also means her staying alive would result in greater conflict, which is not necessarily a bad thing considering how parahumans could literally take over entire worlds at this point.

There's a catch with that - Eidolon died between those two events, at which point the Endbringers basically gave up on everything. I don't think we can assume that the Simurgh was operating according to her original objectives when she saved Taylor.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Algid posted:

The difference wasn't just that Eidolon died, it was Scion killing everyone. They were meant to promote conflict by shoring up the weaker side and acting to test powers at critical point of conflict without just taking the shortest path and destroying their opponents.

Did they have a function that developed? I thought they just existed to be enemies for Eidolon to have a proper fight against.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tollymain posted:

Also she or her power kind of drives them nuts and they end up doing terrible things. I think she went through 3 boyfriends before they caught her on the 4th.

Teacher certainly implies that it's her fault, not her power's.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

veekie posted:

Yes, but having powers at all made her feel obligated to use them. They increased the scope of situations where she could make a difference somehow, even if it was just by gathering information and coordinating. Losing her powers make her stick to just plain human ambitions.

Which frankly are more than hard enough.

Plus they literally made her feel obligated to use them, especially after they malfunctioned, because passengers are specifically designed to drive their hosts to generate conflict, remember?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Baby Babbeh posted:

I also agree that removing her powers was kind of beside the point, since that wasn't really what made her a threat that could take down Scion. If you think about it, she didn't really NEED to mind control anybody to enact the solution she did, that was just an expedient way to get them to stop being assholes who get in her way long enough to do what needed to be done. Even with the limiter taken off her power was kind of C list, it was only because she was the kind of person who could be given a hard limit and IMMEDIATELY cheat around it that she was the S Class threat she became.

I think we do keep forgetting that her power by this point had become a hideous mind-cancer that was turning her into a megalomanaiacal monster as it was slowly killing her. Furthermore, powers of any sort dramatically reduce one's chances of a peaceful life because of the shards' influence driving their hosts towards conflict.

Let's not judge Contessa too harshly here.

• Locked thread