Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
Well, I just got done binging through this. I can't believe how long it was and at the same time I can't believe that I still want way more. I think it definitely dropped a little in quality after the whole Alexandria and Tagg (it would just be arc 27 and 28 that I need to spoil things for right?). It kind of felt like wildbow was trying to move the story along to his endgame and didn't want to go through the process of really fleshing out the PRT/wards as much as he did with the Undersiders.

That being said I really liked arc 27 and where 28 is going currently. I think I enjoy tattletale and imp as much or many than any of the other characters. I can't wait to see them kick rear end in the post-apocalypse. Hopefully things don't get back to the super epic scale of Endbringers and Scion all day everyday for a few arcs.

Also, in my head it totally makes sense that Scion recruited Eidolon to be his general or whatever as he leads one of the 5 groups. Scion was promising Eidolon worthy opponents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
I think it was definitely the pacing that was the problem. A common theme to some of wildbow's comments have been that he is still a junior author. I think he must want to get to his next project. I hope that if he ever does officially publish that he goes back and fleshes some things out a little and makes transitions between arcs flow.

Also, it took me like 2.5 weeks when I was pretty much reading as fast as humanly possible. Wildbow has said that it would finish around arc 30 or the end of the year. I'm hoping it is closer to the end of the year, because arc 30 will probably wrap up around the middle/end of October.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
God help me. I started a re-read. It is just so convenient to read a chapter and then study for half an hour and read another. It is really neat seeing how things get set up. Some of the foreshadowing for the large events and major players is pretty cool. Knowing Taylor's overall arc also helps, because I can see some of her little rationalizations that eventually lead her down the path that she takes. Seeing the line that she draws for herself between her cape and non-cape identity is interesting.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
In the latest chapter he seems to be going the same route that Jack had hookwolf go. He is experimenting with observing the emotional reactions of his kills. I wonder if he went back and talked to Jack again or if he is just trying out new things now.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
29.3 Grundulum, I wish taylor had just nicked him with the knife after he was unconscious. Or something to that effect.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013

Lprsti99 posted:

Regent noooooo :(

Just as the character was at his most entertaining too. I was starting to wonder if Imp was helping him out and maybe letting him lose a little of the sociopathic tendencies that he had. Turns out he did, but it cost him his life.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
Also a case of not really giving a poo poo most of the time.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
30 arcs was only ever an estimate. If I remember right wildbow said it would probably end around 30 arcs or the end of the year. He could add a couple more. Or there could be a bunch of interludes after the "end" of worm to wrap up all the Taylor adjacent plot threads.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

Dinah. She knows Taylor is alive because she can ask the question, Tattletale is trying to convince her that she's deluding herself.

Tattletale knows she isn't deluding herself because her power lets her know that Taylor is alive and fills in details.

I think Tattletale is trying to prevent Dinah from asking the right questions. Dinah only gets the information that she reaches for, she is kind of like Contessa in that you have to apply the power correctly otherwise it won't work very well.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
White bodysuit related.

In the comments wildbow got asked who the guy with the white suit was supposed to be. He just says it is a young man with red hair. That's enough confirmation for me. I now want the sequel to follow vista/clockblocker

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
Full disclosure, I like the fantasy genre a lot. I'm all in for this story. It sounds like a neat world. That mom is batshit. But also apparently kinda right?

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

I'm more than two-thirds of the way through Worm. It's really good; I like the messed-up and morally-ambiguous characters and creative uses of powers.

I'm not particularly enthusiastic about Peer, though. It feels kind of generic so far. Also surprisingly lacking in likable characters; I can feel sorry for Cynn, but the main character is a lazy and cynical goon (if I'm completely honest, I might see a little too much of myself in him), the Kith are aggressively rude "noble savages," and most of the other characters seem to be backstabbing aristocrats who don't care about anything bigger than the success of their family members.

I think part of the reason that I liked the first chapter of peer was partially because there were these cliche characters. Near the end of the chapter the cynical goon is shown to have more of an intimate relation with the supernatural than he has narrated to us previously. At first he just seems unbelieving in the supernatural/the gods, but it turns out he is just trying to ignore that part of the world. I doubt that the archetypes will persist throughout the story. Considering the obvious amount of thought that was put into all of the side characters in worm I don't think that the characters that we are introduced too in this first chapter are quite as one dimensional as we are led to believe.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013

SerSpook posted:

To be honest I sat on the first chapter for like two months because it didn't seem very good. I kept reading on the strength of what others wrote, but it picked up pretty fast in my opinion.

I did the same thing. I wasn't really interested in reading about an outcast high schooler. Turns out I was wrong and that was, apparently, what I wanted to read.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
If this is his weakest story then I'm hopeful for what else there he has in his back pocket.

It's interesting that he shook up the status quo so seriously in his fantasy story after only 4 chapters (he said this would have been the 4th if he actually used it). I guess he shook it up for Taylor when he had her do villain stuff in the first few arcs, but it wasn't until Leviathan that things really went crazy. It seems like in this story he had poo poo get real a littler faster.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013

Grouchy Fish posted:

I gotta say I prefer Pact. Boil had a really neat setting but it lacked any real tension which is where Wildbow really shines as an author. That doesn't preclude tension from developing farther along Boil's timeline, but judging from what we have I think Pact is the winner so far. I guess it helps that the whole urban fantasy genre is a favorite of mine.

I haven't read pact yet. But, I don't really see how there is mo tension. She's setting herself up to be a terrorist. I was getting a lot of vibes similar to the first mistborn book.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
drat it, I was going to wait a little longer before reading pact so there would be more of a backlog. I failed and caught up over the last couple days. I'm still slightly confused, but excited about the magic system that wildbow created. I really need more updates.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013

Tollymain posted:

Bets regarding Blake choosing a stone as his implement? Show me your goonbucks :v:

Less jokingly, I wonder if Blake will find a loophole in the system that he can exploit? On the one hand, centuries of practitioners haven't found something like that, but on the other... his situation and motivation are a good bit more unique and dire than most. Who knows?

I think there will be some loophole. Wildbow liked to use powers in ways we didn't expect in worm. With how secretive and rare books about magic seem to be, you'd think if you found a loophole you'd keep it to yourself.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
It is many millions of words. I think the end count is like 20ish average book sizes. It's pretty good though.

If you don't like the first two arcs don't worry about it. Just keep going.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
Well, that's a pretty big cliffhanger.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
Solution to Blake's problem just find a sharpie and mess up the circle a little. Hopefully it backfires on the Duchamp's/Behaim's and there we go series over

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
Super intense stuff the last couple chapters. Now he has to figure out how to tell leanne the "secret".

Blake did all of this right before he was going to eat a real meal and sleep. He needs to take a break for a while. At least he got hood food earlier.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
Woops, I was phone posting and missed that typo.

I also was kind of wondering if wildbow had drawn a little inspiration from Butcher. He has probably read it or at least I would assume so. Butcher is one of the most successful urban fantasy writers around right now. If I was trying to write stories in a genre that I hadn't previously done a large work in, I would read up on what others have done.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
I think I need to take a break from Pact. I'm seriously bad at waiting to read stuff and I think I need a buffer to be built up so that I can read multiple chapters at once.

I'm glad he has moved back to Toronto to level up. It seems like it might be an interesting setting and it'll be nice to have Blake interact with people who he doesn't have to worry about whether they want to kill or screw him over. I'm kind of hoping that the Dionysus guy is cool about everything and just tells him "Hey, the Duchamp's don't want you to go back. Look how much awesome stuff is here. Here are a couple tricks; did I ever tell you about how I didn't really like my wife and we got divorced."

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
Everyone disliked Rose's lack of ability to affect the world and her complaining, including her! Looks like she's going to start to do more than just talk going forward.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
Don't forget Duchamps, they're not there right now. But, they'll definitely be back.

Blake's third option is flip-flopping himself with Rose or preserving his consciousness when he dies and "trapping" himself in the mirror world, right? Considering he doesn't like touching people anyway and his friends are now practitioners that doesn't really sound like that bad of a deal

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
Glad I wasn't the only one who was thinking along these lines. I really hope Evan sticks around. I think he is being set up to hang around for awhile.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
It really sounded like to me that Laird was making some kind of circle or symbol around himself with the objects he asked for. He asked for all of them before the Tallowman and Pauz came into play. He might be stopped by that. But, I bet he gets free at some point. If I remember right he never actually eats or drinks anything during the chapter. He may not have established his guest right and have to abide by fair play rules.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013

Saros posted:

Oh my god what a clusterfuck. Sucks to be you (not)Maggie! I wonder if she and Blake can be disenfranchised BFF's now.

Them becoming BFF's and gaining a bunch of power and coming back to kick rear end would be awesome.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
I hope that we don't really expand beyond Jacob's Bell/Toronto. I don't really need to see about practitioners in the US or wherever. I'd rather keep it tightly plotted and not try and have the scope expand too far.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
Man, this keeps getting better. I've read the last couple of updates at midnight and usually regret it the next day because I want to read it again. Without speed reading because I want to go to sleep.

I hope Blake ends up helping out Johannes. I think even if Rose makes a turn for the better she still shouldn't be in charge of anything large scale.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
Or Johannes messed with him time wise. Geez, entering Johannes realm really is extremely risky when you consider how powerful he really is within it.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013

builds character posted:

Sure but if she's rose sr just continued on rather than reborn? Then she doesn't have to have redeeming qualities and she can still wear her old clothes all the time. That's probably the weirdest bit for me. Why is she always wearing grandma's clothes? And they have the same name too. And she has zero of her own friends. There's obviously something funky going on. I assume it all ties back into the name scheme ("pact") at some point.

Why she has to wear those clothes is explained in this chapter. It is funky how she has zero friends. From a couple of her lines I seem to remember her being a little bit of a loner and raised to be manipulative. That could be a possible explanation for that.

It would be pretty metal if Rose senior was hard hearted enough to sacrifice a couple grandkids.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
There are a couple Toronto chapters that are pretty good. Then it dragged on a little too long. This last arc and a half has been loving fantastic with no end of greatness in sight.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013

NecroMonster posted:

I'm not 100% sure and I just don't feel up to looking it up right now, but wasn't there some implication that barbatorum or something barbatorum could do offered some sort of "proof against death" as well as some sort of method of disabling practitioners?

I don't think that was in the description of his powers. I can't remember where his abilities were talked about so I can't really look it up. That doesn't sound right though.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
Roxanne is totally going to be changed and get earwig super powers. It would be very un-wildbow to not have some kind of cost for going through the Drains. Every earwig that got in her is probably its own little drain spirit.

Grundulum posted:

I'm now really curious about what the Thorburn family will say to their remaining members -- and vice versa -- when they show up in the morning.

I'm way looking forward to this. I can see an epic freak out by the younger Thorburn generation on their older relatives.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013

Namarrgon posted:

Karma manipulation is definitely possible; see The Benevolent, but I think it was stated that Blake's karma got reset after falling into the Abyss.

Was it explicitly stated? I dont remember it. But, it is definitely a theory I ascribe to. It only makes sense since his Other side has almost completely taken over. His negative thorburn (human) karma doesn't apply to him anymore. Actually it is probably still on Rose. So, good luck to her if she tries to directly act against Blake.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
I felt like the lawyers were this huge thing in the beginning of the series and they've kind of just faded into the background. I wonder if wildbow regrets initiating that plot thread.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
That does sound really good. I'd hope that wildbow is thinking more about possibly publishing eventually. A bunch of discrete cases would set up better for that.

I stopped reading pact about 3/4 of the way through because I just wasn't interested anymore. I've really loved 1.1-1.3 of twig so far though. It's fun to be excited for the next update again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
I love the whole creepy children thing that the lambs have. It's just too bad Helen isn't there right now.

• Locked thread