Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

This thread needs to be renamed Web Serials: Worm Declassified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Elyv posted:

Don't forget about Mannequin! A brilliant tinker on the verge of solving world hunger and other such turned into a psychotic serial killer.

Didn't Tattletale say they were created? Seems like a pretty unlikely theory.

I'd consider it a little ridiculous how events seem to go out of their way to steer the world into a bad end if that wasn't the Simurgh's entire point of existence.

Tattletale has been wrong before, and this is a situation where it's tough to even get some correct information to start from so she's not extremely reliable. On the other hand, the clearly deliberate escalation with the two and a half new Endbringers strongly imply some kind of leadership with the Endbringers, which would likely come from whatever creates them.

Where do the new Endbringers chill out between attacks anyway? I thought it was pretty cool how the original three had a kind of solid-liquid-gas theme with their hibernation cycles but it doesn't seem like there's anywhere for these new ones to hide out.

Also, at what point in the story are we considering everything after that to be a spoiler? I'd think the death of Behemoth would be a good point, but it's been awhile since then so we could possibly consider that a non-spoiler.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 20, 2013

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Except Taylor's powers are literally a mind control broadcast. Also, Scion could hear Jack because he's Scion, none of the other capes could hear what Jack was saying, except for Tecton who was in melee range at the time.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 22, 2013

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Would web serials survive as it's own thread without Worm discussion?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Worm: Grue is likely to be eaten by a Scion

Worm: The only universal constant is lovely Star Wars prequels

Worm: Getting darker than Warhammer 40k

Worm: Your favorite character is about to die

Worm: This all started with a teenager getting pushed into a locker

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 27, 2013

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

It may have demoralized him in the sense that, since his powers only scale to his opponents level, he would never be able to reach the level he's currently at ever again. Considering he only "felt like himself" at full strength, it may be the realization that no matter what happens during the fight he will never get that feeling ever again.

I don't really like the theory that Eidolon or Scion created the Endbringers because there's really no evidence to suggest they did, mixed with the fact that they're on a very deliberate and planned schedule suggests that there's no way that either of those two are just accidentally/unwittingly in control of them.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Grundulum posted:

What is Eidolon's power again? It seems like recent developments are casting doubt on what I thought it was (i.e. whatever he felt he needed, limited to three or so different abilities at a time).

27.x spoilers: this new ability to draw powers from those around him seems pretty different from what he showed before. Could it be that he has the Cauldron powers and then something of his own? Or do the two powers tie together in a way I just can't see?

He gets somewhat randomly generated powers, usually adapted to whatever he needs, and can drop any of them to pick up a different power. They take time to charge up, and if he uses a power too much, it disappears forever. It's very comparable to a deck of cards, where he can choose to put a card back into the deck when he is done or discard if he uses it more than he should. the new ability he picked up basically let him put his discard pile back onto the top of the deck

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

stolen from the comments: The Simurgh descends from the sky. She marches up to a human baby. It is one of the last human babies on Bet. It is archetypal; in that moment, it is Everybaby, a shining slightly smelly exemplar of humanity as a whole.

She takes its candy.

The baby bursts into helpless, defeated tears as the Simurgh, victorious, flies away.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I don't really care too much for her, to be honest. Like, it's great for her that she got let out and all but I don't really find her to be all that interesting.

fakedit: Assault and Battery were fun, why couldn't you leave them alone Wildbow!?

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 1, 2013

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

hollylolly posted:

I was pretty (slaughterhouse 9 arc?)devastated when Battery died. Assault and Battery were minor side characters but they really felt like they had their own full stories that we were just teased with in her interlude.

I think Wildbow actually does have full stories with most of the cast written, but they are never to be released.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Sometimes when butterflies flap their wings to cause tornados on the other side of the planet, they look really pretty to anyone nearby.

To put it in a less dumb way, I doubt the Simurgh can create an entire chain of events that are 100% negative, so long as it is for the greater evil it still works.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Every time I ask "How could this possibly get worse" Wildbow is more than happy to tell me how.

Chances that this is just the Simurgh intimidating them/making them know who's in charge?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Maybe Contessa's death was somehow vital to defeating Scion

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Worm made me mourn the death of a sociopathic rapist and glad when one of the world's greatest heroes died.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

So why couldn't they just be hosed because they need a plan and have no way to get to the person with the plan before Scion kills too many capes for it to matter, rather than "Scion is on his way and will completely obliterate us in about five minutes"? I mean, Satyrical didn't seem to be in any rush.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

NecroMonster posted:

Lung and the Custodian can probably slow Scion down, but they are the only ANYONE there who stands a chance of doing even that. If you are as good as dead with no real options, why panic?

I meant he kills too many capes back at the other Earths, rather than him showing up at the facility.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

veekie posted:

Even when they needed an entirely unlimited power, Doctor Mother STILL mixed in Balance to limit the powers. Wasted time they didn't have.

It would have been poetic justice if someone had just knocked the balance mixture off the table and then force-fed her the other two vials. Since this is Worm, the power would have done absolutely nothing to save them, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Might be a better question to put in the traditional games forum, but I hear Fate is a pretty good all-purpose system, relevant thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3569741&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

• Locked thread