Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Is it just me, or are those two basically the most tragic characters in the whole thing? Either or both of those powers, used judiciously and sensibly, could have basically fixed most of the worst problems in the world. Instead, they're a serial killer and a disturbed mind-rapist. Only Wildbow.

Don't forget about Mannequin! A brilliant tinker on the verge of solving world hunger and other such turned into a psychotic serial killer.

quote:

loving inscrutable ENdbringers. I've been wondering whether they're actually naked Shard/Passengers, without the humanising influence...

Didn't Tattletale say they were created? Seems like a pretty unlikely theory.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

sirtommygunn posted:

Where do the new Endbringers chill out between attacks anyway? I thought it was pretty cool how the original three had a kind of solid-liquid-gas theme with their hibernation cycles but it doesn't seem like there's anywhere for these new ones to hide out.

My guess is the teleporting one kicks back in another dimension. No idea on the one that's only shown up offscreen.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Thursday update!

This really doesn't look good.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

berenzen posted:

Taylor got the broadcaster shard didn't she? Which is similar to the communicator shard, but not quite the same.

Taylor got administrator, which I'm guessing is the equivalent of the PRT's Master classification?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Things can't ever go quite right for Blake, can they?

These recent chapters have been excellent.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

You know, the further into this story we get, the more impressed I am with Blake's ancestors(especially his grandmother) for not dying or giving into the lawyers.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

blastron posted:

What was the lie? I didn't catch it on another read-through.

Blake brought it up, if Duncan can't stop him from escaping then he inadvertently lied.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Pact hadn't really been making a strong impression on me so I'd fallen a little behind in reading it. Just read the last 5 or so updates, and wow. Poor Maggie, or, I guess more accurately, not-Maggie.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I've never really gotten the impression that Rose is a backstabber, just that she's not on the same page as Blake. Maybe I'm just gullible, but I really do feel like Rose tried her best with Blake and that she really did forget about him thanks to the abstract demon.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

How was Blake doing magic if he's really an Other? Was it brought up with Rose at some point and I just forgot?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

NecroMonster posted:

Out of the Frying Pan into the completely hosed.

Oh, so you mean we're reading a Wildbow story?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Smiling Knight posted:

I hope Jeremy makes it out in one piece. I find him very sympathetic.

One of the things I'm really enjoying in this story thus far is that I've found most of the remaining characters sympathetic in one way or another.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Courtesy of the Space Opera thread:

PupsOfWar posted:

speaking of Path of the Fury/In Fury Born, I came across a web-original story the other day that is more or less a better version of the same narrative. On the Spacebattles.com forums, of all godforsaken places.

Premise: multistellar human civilization is attacked by a large, technologically-superior confederation of alien races, who are a very transparent knockoff of the Covenant from Halo (I suspect this whole thing might have started out as a halo fanfic at some point). Late in the war, the humans' state-of-the-art flagship manages to outduel and destroy one of the aliens' supposedly-invincible capital ships (though it is crippled and suffers total crew loss in the doing), which prompts the aliens to Get Serious about the war. The ship's AI takes command, but, by the time it makes it back to Sol space, Earth has been glassed and humanity is practically wiped out. The AI snaps and heads off into the void, where it spends thousands of years preying on the alien confederacy until it becomes a sort of interstellar boogeyman. Story picks up when some far-future human sepoys stumble into the rogue ship's path.

It still has its issues (being internet fiction by some nerd), but I think it's a cut or three above most Baen output and worth the read-through if anyone found the "rogue warship AI on a vengeful rampage" premise of In Fury Born super intriguing but would like to avoid Weberisms. Author is pretty good at making sympathetic enemy characters (their government lies to them about all the hardassed oppressive poo poo they do) and the heroes, while not ~amazingly deep~ or anything, outstrip your average MilSF protagonist.

There were also some episodes of Andromeda that tacked a similar premise, iirc.

I'm about a dozen chapters in and it's fairly good thus far.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TOOT BOOT posted:

I wonder if Pact is going to get as crazy as Worm towards the end.

I hope not, I didn't think the end of Worm was nearly as good as the middle.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Goddamn Wildbow and his cliffhangers.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TeenageArchipelago posted:

not that I know of?

dog and catcher are going to die though.

I don't think they will?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I like Twig and think it's good but I also like Taylor so my taste may not be the best

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I thought he drowned but I don't actually remember.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The Shortest Path posted:

The Gods are Bastards is really, really good so far, I'm mostly done with the first book. Tellwyrn had me at "catapult".

The worldbuilding is better than pretty much anything I've read since my first go at Worm. Thanks for the recommendation!

I've been meaning to recommend this for a while but never actually had the energy to write a post on why, so I'm glad other people are reading it anyway

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Autonomous Monster posted:

:golfclap:

Superlative taste.

By the point in the story Shortest Path is at I agree, but my overall favorite is definitely Prin

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I don't if anyone else is reading the Gods are Bastards but I'm so happy to be done with all this computer/sysadmin poo poo for now

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Dire Lemming posted:

I just got up to this and it was pretty disappointing. It's almost always a let down when an author can't just let magic be magical. I don't think you should go into the hows and whys of magic unless your answer to those questions is amazing and TGAB's weren't.

It's come up twice in a biggish way so far, the second one was way more annoying to me but that might be because I was caught up with the story instead of binging it

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I tried to read Mother of Learning a few years back, but I just couldn't get into it. I'm not sure why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Because you suck

Probably correct

• Locked thread