Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

DarkCrawler posted:

Personally I think Pact is a LOT better then Worm was at this point. Which bodes well.

Re-read Worm too, the ending does seem a bit disconnected from the rest of the series, though it is still immensely entertaining. I can't write to get my hands on the re-write/published version once it comes out, hope it will come out as one giant e-book - I'd be willing to pay a lot for that.

Worm started to lose me when we got the Passenger Interludes and all the head bending weirdness it entailed. It started the move away from a heavy focus on Characters to an ongoing 'Big fight with people we don't care about' and an ending arc that just got outright silly and almost unreadable to boot. Worm always had a huge cast but the ending is where we finally got introduced to characters that seem completely throw away and don't feel as fleshed out as the ones from the rest of Worm did. I mean the ending is literally Taylor losing her ability to understand language in a story that had dialogue as one of its biggest strength.

The Epilogue is great though.

I should really start reading Pact. I really don't care for Urban Fantasy but I do love me some Cliffhangers and Wildbow is never short on those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Finally got around to reading Pact! Leaving it for a bit worked out quite well, once the ball got rolling it's been a fun read.

Though I admit it does feel a bit... rushed at times. Some of the crisis flow pretty naturally, but then we get Conquest wanting to unleash demons on the world five minutes after meeting Blake which just seemed to be an excuse to get Blake into even more trouble. We seem to have wandered far afield of the original plot, bar the Laird Family tagging along and I'm worried I'll have forgotten most of the intrigue before we get back to Grannies house.

Still enjoying it, because as said Evan is the best.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Yeah if someone gives a long winded answer to "Is this a trap?" and you don't immediately back out it's on your rear end really.

Maybe it'll work out for her though. Somehow. Having no name has got to be an advantage of sorts, if only for the opportunities for shenanigans it opens up.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I can't help but feel neither Rose nor Blake are 'real' as such and they're two different people made out of an original Rose/Blake.

There's just too many dangling threads about both their backstories that neither really makes sense. Sure Granny hosed it all up with magic but wouldn't Rose have had difficulty existing when cut off in the mirror world like Blake is now? Also fitting in Blake for Rose had to take some serious magic since none of the other practitioners really spotted that and I find it hard to believe she was that wily.

I don't expect Rose to be Grandma just because that seems too obvious for Wildbow.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Remora posted:

Hey, quick Pact question - how long does it take to get good? I tried reading the first few chapters awhile ago and now I'm gonna give it another go, but I'd like to know how long of a slog I'm in for.

\/\/\/\/\/\/ Edit: ... It takes nine arcs to get good?

It starts to kick in (For me anyway) at 1.06

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
His powers were gone into here

http://pactwebserial.wordpress.com/2014/01/11/bonds-1-7/

He can extend someone's life (But not indefinetly) or do incredible surgery for a price, but this opens them to possession. Like by bird spirits to pick an example completely at random.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I find it a little frustrating that this is a chapter in which nothing really happens until the end. The meeting was basically pointless, he said his piece and they shut him down. It was obvious that was how it was going to go. No one got anything out of it, we didn't really learn anything new, so what was the point of this chapter? It felt like spinning wheels when really the action was at the house.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Pavlov posted:

Edit: Also why does Blake keep saying he thinks he can't lie? He's not bound by the seal, and doesn't count as a practitioner anymore.

Doesn't he? We don't really know what Blake is yet, there's still bits of the picture missing.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

pumpinglemma posted:

Calling it now: Alexis is Rose in disguise - the two switched places before Rose went off with the Thorburns.

:stare: That'd be pretty brilliant if true.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

packsmack posted:

Roxanne is totally going to be changed and get earwig super powers. It would be very un-wildbow to not have some kind of cost for going through the Drains. Every earwig that got in her is probably its own little drain spirit.

Don't be silly, no one's going to read a Web-Serial about a Girl with Bug Powers.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Green Eyes is a really good buddy despite being a cannibal mermaid.

Despite? In Blake's situation that's one of her best features.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Tollymain posted:

Getting your entire midsection degloved sounds horrifying but it probably puts you out of your misery real quick :pseudo:

(seriously though jesus christ)

Green Eyes is working hard to replace Evan as best character.

Also I'm not buying this twist for a second. No way is this what it seems.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Grundulum posted:

How many times has the bait-and-switch happened so far in Pact? Every time I can remember calling shenanigans on events, it's been played straight by the characters.

It's not the bait-and-switch with Wildbow. It's "Yes this did happen, but you're forgetting/don't know that..."

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Grundulum posted:

That was fun. The more we see of Alister, the more I'm liking him (I hope he stays this way -- Blake could use some more allies that aren't drenched in bad juju). He reminds me of what Blake might have become without the Thorburn karma (and a hefty dose of personality manipulation). Rose seriously seems to be stuck in paranoia mode, to the point that even Alister is picking up that she's more hostile towards Blake than she needs to be. Either something's up with that, or Wildbow is just okay with having her be a completely unsympathetic character.

Wasn't their animosity part of the Barbertotem ritual? Rose knows if Blake kills her he regains his old life and she's justifiably worried he's going to do that.

Alister seems sensible and a good guy and if we've learned anything about Wildbows' writing that means he's due to betray everybody later down the line at the worst time possible.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Neurosis posted:

I would have preferred this because while I think she was well written, I did not like Taylor at all.

Takes some balls to kill your protagonist off and switch though, very few books can pull it off.

I liked Taylor but Worm's relentless escalation got to the point where I was just "Okay, there's no way she should be alive by now" and it really killed it for me. Pact is starting to get to the same point, but if it's really ending it might do it just in time.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I forget how off the wall the ending got, I really didn't follow all of it and missed that part. Or just plain forgot over time.

But since you don't find that out until near the end, it didn't really help that I was getting a bit incredulous around the Slaughter House 9 arc and definitely lost any sense of actual threat for the events that followed with Dragon or Noelle and that's still waaaaaaay off the reveal that it was the Shard all along. Worm felt like it should have ended with Coil. He was the last bad guy who really hit the mark for me, Jack's just a psychopath, Scion is some alien minded thing and Mother we just never got to spend enough time with to care about. If there was a time to kill Taylor off and start with Worm 2.0 it was after Coil got dealt with.

Fans fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 16, 2015

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Well the practitioner they're fighting isn't mortal! That's something right?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Namarrgon posted:

"Ah, you see, but the fact that you cannot be killed is actually a weakness!"

Knowing Wildbow this might actually be the case.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I would not be opposed to a Maggie Holt book, their arc was just a lot more satisfying than any of Blakes. Though that may be because Maggie at least had some idea of whats going on, while Blake never really gets to the point where he has a clue and pretty much brute forces his way through the entire plot.

Also Goblins.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Pavlov posted:

Sy just seems to be really good at being an rear end in a top hat for fun and profit.

All hail Sy Thorburn.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Is now a good time to jump on with Twig or does it still need a bit more time to get going? Not been a whole lot of talk over it like Pact and it's a little worrying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Gitro posted:

I know this post is from months ago, but I started reading this thread a while ago and it got me thinking about (and re-reading) Worm. I couldn't remember it ever being explicitly stated exactly why Saint made the numbers go up, but I thought (not sure if it needs to be spoiled) that it was explicitly stated by Cauldron that while initial casualties would be higher, it was actually better for Scion to kick things off sooner rather than later because there'd be more capes around to fight him.

But they're wrong in their assumptions, which is Worm in a nutshell really. Capes fighting Scion isn't what stops him in the end and never really could have. What they needed was someone to convince Scion there was nothing worth living for.

The numbers changing were all in aid of someone having that realization and executing that plan. The more they believed they could beat him through conventional fighting, the less chance they had of actually succeeding. Maybe that's why more capes initially would have been better, not because they'd stand a chance of winning but because it'd become obvious much quicker than they'd inevitably lose fighting him.

Fans fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 9, 2015

• Locked thread