Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
This thing seriously needs an epub download. Catching up on two years of updates in a web browser is a non-starter. :-/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Grundulum posted:

For those people wanting to read Worm in a continuous form, my friend has found the Chrome app Readability. Took all however-many sections of the story and conjoined them into a single document.

Edit: looks like it's more than just an app for Chrome. http://www.readability.com/apps

The current length is more than 5000 pages of small text when previewed for printing, with an estimated 1.5-2.0 million words. Holy crap.

How did he get it to combine everything? I can only get Readability and Instapaper to grab one chapter at a time. Though with the prev/next links working fine and the app keeping track of my progress, this is pretty much good enough for me.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Now that I look, Instapaper is doing it right sometimes. When I hit the next chapter link sometimes I get individual entries and sometimes it loads several in a row. Probably something to do with the way it detects a "next page" link.

Either way, it keeps track of progress and paginates so it is good enough for me.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
So while reading the backlog via Instapaper, for one chapter the "read later" function gave me the text from one of the comments at the bottom of the page instead of the story text itself. It would have been obvious that something was wrong, except the particular comment happened to be a big chunk of erotic fanfiction. :gonk: It took a while to figure out that the story hadn't actually gone in a totally unexpected direction.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

This sounds like it could be hilarious. Can we get some details?

It was somewhere in Chapter 14 or 15.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

loudog999 posted:

Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times, but I read the OP and didnt see it and I didnt want to take the chance of seeing spoilers in the thread. I just got a new paperwhite and would love to read Worm on it, do I have any option for that?

No. Something like Instapaper or Readability makes it a little more user-friendly for readying, but there isn't an ebook option ATM.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

L-O-N posted:

So is there an epub version of this? Trying to read a novel on the computer monitor is not fun.

Easiest way to read it is through Instapaper or similar.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I like Boil better than the first two story attempts.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Boil is def. the best of the samples so far.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Plus Boil showed signs of becoming a private detective story.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Pact feels like an RPG or video game novelization.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tollymain posted:

I don't get this mindset. I read Wildbow's work because he's a good writer. Why would a change in genre make you stop reading good work?

Because a retread of generic urban fantasy plot #12 is uninteresting regardless of who writes it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I read it through Instapaper, but that only really works if you have network access all of the time. It keeps track of progress and lets you control formatting a little bit. Just keep hitting the "next chapter" link when you get to to the end.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
This still feels like an RPG novelization. :-/

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tollymain posted:

How does Pact feel more like an RPG novelization than Worm :psyduck:

It doesn't, but the comic book setting was a lot more interesting than the urban fantasy setting that could have been cut & pasted from any number of recent books.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Sorry but the setting in Worm was objectively more interesting than the setting in Pact.

edit: And also not overdone.

withak fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 1, 2014

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Piell posted:

Yes, no one has ever done a serial story about superheroes before.

Certainly not compared to "young rebel loner comes into magical inheritance, takes on all comers".

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Maybe

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

pumpinglemma posted:

Given how incredibly ubiquitous superhero settings are,

Maybe in comics, but urban fantasy is way more common in actual written books. What other superhero novels are there that are anywhere close as popular as the shelves of UF in bookstores?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
New website is here

• Locked thread