Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

builds character posted:

From 11.6
Peter said, “Why is Rose different? That’s kind of the same question. Because the Rose I knew was a no-life sad sack loser with no friends.”

Game, set, match. It's totally Rose Sr. doing ridiculous things as Rose. :smugdog:

Or Conquest is having an effect plus she inherited Blake's friends. I don't buy that she is Rose Sr. as she was when she died. Perhaps she is a 'clone' (for lack of a better word) but one who grew up with her own memories/life, not the actual mind of the super powerful diabolist that was Rose Sr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Well that was interesting. Not sure if it was smart necessarily or not though, definitely some pros and cons about this new form.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Grundulum posted:

How does drawing on Conquest's power work, exactly? Rose was drawing on the power when she left for the police station, but since Corvidae took the item that contained him/it, she no longer has access. Does this mean she must continually draw on Conquest? What are the side effects of this? What will the other humans think when Rose comes back in superbitch mode?

She's linked to Conquest via the binding, her hair was used in the triple circle or whatever. I think that's how she draws the power not necessarily by having possession of the mirror. The mirror is how you could theoretically free Conquest I think but has nothing to do with Rose's connection to him. Really it is just a hanging Chekhov's Gun now where he will escape at a terrible time and come after Rose/Blake with a vengeance.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Update was very good, next few chapters should be very interesting.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
If anything I think he will force all the practitioners into a one sided deal/pact by threatening their or their children's lives. Basically remove all the small fry Behaims and Duchamps from the equation. That would make the contest much more equal, Alister, Johannes, Sandra, and Rose/Blake?

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Fans posted:

Green Eyes is working hard to replace Evan as best character.

Also I'm not buying this twist for a second. No way is this what it seems.

Only problem is that lying is pretty tough in Pact. It could be a straight up deception but if it is actually Rose and she made any oaths/promises then she's pretty stuck.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I actually like the idea that Rose is the intended heir and that Blake surviving is the universes way of trying to keep the historical balance. So Blake would actually be the anti revolutionary though not really by his own choice but more how the universe is going to use him.

For instance if Rose needed to sacrifice Alexis in order for the 'revolution' to succeed and make the universe better I think Blake would attempt to stop her even if he knew the cost to the world.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Nov 1, 2014

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Dietrich posted:

Out of the frying pan, into several consecutive ever hotter fires.

True but I like the direction Blake is taking this, should be interesting at the very least.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I generally liked this chapter, while I agree the exposition about Roxanne was maybe a bit too much it did sort or make sense. Peter was trying to drive home the point that she was attacking their own group but he had to explain more in depth so she would listen.

I think these next few chapters will be very interesting. I'm hoping it is less fighting and more talking with Mara and Corvidae. Blake will have to make some sort of deal with them that should be interesting or I guess the two of them could have been pulling the strings the whole time trying to get Jacob's Bell sunk into the abyss as punishment for stealing their land.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
That was probably the best chapter in months. Finally a slow down in the nutty action and some dialogue and neat world building.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Man these last few chapters have been really great, it is too bad pact was so much non stop action instead of character interaction and world building.

There was no real ramping up, Blake was just constantly in over his head and never really did anything all that clever with magic. He has always brute forced things for the most part with a few exceptions.

I guess since he never had a chance to truly learn magic/how to be a practitioner it was the best we could get. I would have really preferred some magic training arcs and cool magic stuff happening more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Velius posted:

I'm not sure it makes sense for him to immediately start his next story. Pact ended up being a badly plotted mess in spite of starting with an interesting premise and character, probably because Wildbow was forced to make it all up as he went.

Worm was better on most levels but suffered badly from author fatigue and a rushed ending. He should take some time writing up some background material before leaping headlong into another year of writing of dubious quality.

Agreed, he had written so much in the Worm setting before he ever started publishing it and you can really tell (especially the early parts).

Part of me hopes he eventually does a Pact reboot in a different setting with different characters and uses the Blake story in a similar manner to the unpublished Worm stuff. I thought it was a really cool world but the action was mostly physical rather than magical which I found less enjoyable. I was hoping for more magic/strategy not just chopping stuff up with the hyena.

• Locked thread