Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Scion Listened to Jack, maybe because he got the Communicator shard.

Didn't Taylor get that one too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Worm: don't get attached to anyone.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Four Words chat: "Who is your daddy?"

Or, even better: "I am your father."

"There is no God"

"Yo quiero Taco Bell"

Dietrich fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Aug 27, 2013

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Faldoncow posted:

I'm still curious on the Endbringers. The sheer volume of capes that have been lost to them seems like it wasn't worth it if they've been held as an anti-Scion force from the start.

I really disliked Armsmaster as a person, but I really like Defiant. On the other hand, before we were actually introduced directly to him when he shut down Dragon, I thought I was going to like Saint but I ended up not.

I don't know, Saint seems like a guy trying to do what's right and making some bad calls. Somewhat of a foil to Taylor in that way.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

veekie posted:

The difference is just that while they're both in over their heads, Saint never admits it, even to himself.

Just another hard man making hard choices that actually didn't need to be made and just make things worse.

Which is what makes him useful as a foil.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I don't know about you guys but I'm torn up over the death of Clockblocker.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

SerSpook posted:

Simurgh is an interesting case. Pretty much a perfect, or near-perfect, precog. How much of what it does is intelligence, and how much is it just Contessa on steroids? Even that would require some intelligence, sure, but not necessarily that much. Just picking whatever future seems to have the best results based on whatever she's been programmed with or whatever.

Does anyone have a link to the chapter where Simurgh did the communication block? I want to re-read that section.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Out of each frying pan, into a series of slightly larger frying pans, still have no idea where the fire is.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Virigoth posted:

also, still have no idea what the fire is.

What if it's frying pans all the way down?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

It seems more likely that Gilag or whatever her name is will become the new (fake) second entity than Taylor.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

veekie posted:

The Black Knight, who can't lose as long as he's fighting a parahuman

Sounds more like Taylor to me.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

veekie posted:

Except she is not likely to be mistaken for a man.

Her father had the same shard, just never triggered.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Mostly I'm just saying that description doesn't say Jack to me. Number-man, maybe.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

veekie posted:

Note how it's phrased. The Black Knight is described like an attack dog there. Taylor, however she winds up, will be a Master type due to the Administrator shard, not something you use in a head on attack. Number Man is extremely strong head on but only really powerful when used behind the scenes, he has more uses than direct assault.

The only character you could 'sic' on parahumans and always win is Jack.

I don't really understand where you're drawing that from. His powers weren't really a universal trump of any sort. He was just really good at orchestrating capes and making them do what he wanted them to do though manipulations.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Way too many things going right in this story right now.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Tollymain posted:

I wonder how many people will blame Taylor for the deaths that took place under her control and how many will realize they probably would have died anyway?

I doubt she's planning on living long enough to find out, but I'd wager the majority will see that they've done more damage to scion and suffered fewer casualties under Taylor's control than they ever managed operating individually and that only the few, the proud, the jackass will take personal affront to her controlling them.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

That was a pretty awesome take-down right there.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Oneiros posted:

Bolded your problem there.

Anyway, just wanted give give a hearty "gently caress You!" to whichever inconsiderate rear end in a top hat drive-by-linked Worm in the Dresden Files thread ages ago. Now I've spent god only knows how much time reading half a trillion words and compulsively hammering f5 on update nights.

There were like 5 of us.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I would really prefer it if she were dead. It makes her whole story of sacrifice for the greater good that much more powerful. And I'm tired of every single media I consume being set up for sequels.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

For some reason I can't listen to Royals by Lorde without thinking of Taylor.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I didn't like the idea that Taylor lived because I thought her sacrificing herself for humanity was crucial to her narrative and what made her a remarkable hero character.

So at first I was a bit miffed, but then one little interaction flipped me on the issue. Contessa spared her because she decided that she needed to die for the greater good. She knew that anyone who could do the terrible things Taylor did and feel wholly justified had lost their humanity. That was the test.

Great ending.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Silver2195 posted:

I'm not sure how well elements like Japan being essentially a Third World country due to a giant tsunami and the Japanese villains in the first arc would go over in Japan.

Are you kidding me? They eat that poo poo up.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I'm starting to like where this new story is going.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Boil is shaping up nicely.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Ok, I finally read pact 1.2-1.4, and I'm quite impressed. I think it will be a good read.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I figure that Molly was picked over Blake because Granny had said that she would choose a woman.

I see no reason to think that Mirror Rose is awakened or awakenable. It's possible that she isn't even alive or human. There's no telling whether she'd make a good familiar. I could definitely see Wildbow burdening Blake with a lovely familiar.

A lovely familiar that turns out to be un-intuitively awesome when used appropriately.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Virigoth posted:

This new story by Wildbow needs "something". I'm losing interest fast unfortunately. It was a nice cliffhanger at the end of the post, but meh.

He's doing quite a bit of system-building but all the progress seems to be tangential to the stated problems of the story, which doesn't feel very satisfying.

I can't leave the house! I'm eating oatmeal for every meal! Let's bind a spirit of hypothermia to this hatchet.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

pumpinglemma posted:

He can't safely leave the house without having enough magical or political power to defend himself. Binding ghosts gives him some power, which he can bootstrap into more power by using them to get a good familiar/implement/demesne. That... doesn't seem tangential at all.

What's tangential-feeling is that it's not well explained exactly how having a hypothermia hatchet confers power. (Which is exactly what we're about to find out.) This is mainly a comment on the pacing of the story thus far. I think we're seeing foundation being laid for a great story, but the pacing means that a lot of future-interesting things seem present-boring (to me, anyway).

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

veekie posted:

I think at present the problem is he's basically unarmed and without options. All he can do is bullshit his way through things. With the hatchet, he has a weapon, a bomb even, that can be used without destroying himself. He needs more weapons, defenses, warning systems, senses, etc, before he is strong enough that the sharks stop circling.

With the hatchet he can claim a larger demesne, use it in the construction of a more potent tool or intimidate a stronger familiar into his service than he could without anything to his name. Everything else derives from those.

I mean, I get all that, but that's only because I've been told all that. I have yet to be shown any of that.

And the "we'll just get an errand boy to handle getting your stuff for you, the cost of this service will be deducted from your allowance" resolution to his being stuck in the house is a bit of a let down.

So it's kinda hard to feel like anything substantial has actually been accomplished though Blake's agency in the face of all the problems that (on the other hand) have been quite effectively shown, rather than told.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I'm pretty excited about the way wildbow handled Fae in this update. It's a take I haven't seen before.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Well that's a creative way to deal with Blake.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

How does he keep coming up with such badass ideas?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Rabbit punting for fun and profit.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I hadn't even considered this but it seems pretty probable!

Hopefully Sanderson likes it and somehow gives Wildbow a little publicity. I discovered Brent Weeks thanks to him and I'm sure I'm not the only one!

edit: I think Wildbow is a pretty cool writer but the dude needs some PR lessons bad. He doesn't even have a twitter and I only found out about Worm due to SA. I think a bit of promotion would go a long way, since Worm is super easy to get into and get sucked in. Just need to bring people to it.

I think wildbow has imposter syndrome in a bad way.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Hugoon Chavez posted:

^ I have no loving clue what Evan is. By the rules of Pact so far, ghosts are just energy stuck in an event or idea. Evan acts like that, sometimes, then like a thinking being, other times. Which one is it? If no one "Collected him", then shouldn't he be all there? It's either a soul ro a ghost, makes no sense if he acts like both.

I think it's time for an interlude that focuses on Jacob's. What's going on while Blake is playing ghostbuster? WB said the next interlude might be a lost pages (or whoever he calls them), so maybe we'll get some light on the workings of the paranormal world that are in play right now. God knows there are a lot of questions in the air.

My take on Even is that he's a soul that is becoming a ghost.

Wildbow has wisely stated about 40 times thus far that you shouldn't try to put labels on things in this universe.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Leave it to a Canadian to invent a magic system where part of your power is determined by how polite you are, even to your enemies.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

This is gettin good.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Yet again, Blake starts kicking rear end and solving problems and Rose brings it to a screeching halt.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Namarrgon posted:

What the hell just happened? I'm not sure if I understand.

e. So what I gather from the comments, Blake got temporarily possessed by Molly. Molly is rather hesitant to go for deals with the Behaims so she stabs Alister, breaking the possibility for a truce and fueling her desire for revenge (Alister knows it was Molly and he doesn't even necessarily blame Molly or Blake but he can't look weak in front of his family). The goblins tearing Blake apart where a vision from Molly's last moments and Maggie Holt isn't actually there; it is Molly's mind imagining it.

That was my take on it as well.

I have no idea how this is going to wrap up soon in a satisfactory way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

New update. molly is a drat bell.

• Locked thread