Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Not yet, it's in the process of being edited by Wildbow and afterwards will be available. If you've got WiFi you could just read it on your phone or ereader just as easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Yep, really interesting so far. He got things going pretty quickly.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

New multiplayer game, World of Bonesaw. I think it would be fun as hell.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Main character is a male, I'm guessing around 18/19.

This chapter had some good tension. I dislike urban fantasy wherein the 'fantasy' is a known and open part of the world, so pushing for something like this where everything is hidden would be my initial choice, but Boil's setting is the more vivid and interesting of the four.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

To expand on Grouchy's post, his rough expectation for the next couple of stories is approximately one year per.

Here, I found the comment:

Wildbow posted:

Pact 3 on Tues. Where I cut the last two short, it’s more because they were going to be more of the same, without a good ability to jump straight into the next pertinent area needing sampling (ie. the detective story for Boil and the Night Game for Face).

Once Pact 3 goes up, I’ve got two more installments before the new year. I’m not sure what you guys want me to do with ‘em. I could just go ahead & jump into the samples for Boil and Face, but I’m really not feeling those stories & I’m sort of already figuring out the game plan I want to go ahead with.

Boil, I think I could be a lot more comfortable writing if I did it after Pact wrapped up. Now, I’m not setting anything in stone, but I’m ballparking these stories at about 1-1.5 years. 1 year of Pact, 1 year of Boil, for example. The thing that people like most is the setting, and that gives me more freedom to tweak things and change them around with character and plot.

I’m sort of feeling like Face is a story I’d rather collaborate with a artist on, to do a webcomic, rather than a serial. I’d need someone I could work with, who I knew would be as serious about schedule as I was, but yeah, and it would have to wait until I found my stride with the new serial & with the editing process of getting Worm up to snuff. It’d help gloss over some of the issues I’m having in conveying consistent setting, by placing more of an emphasis on visuals vs. prose. If I could pull it off, it’d be a cool side project, and it’d answer some questions I have about webcomics vs. serials & how they grow & evolve.

But, again, it’s contingent on finding an artist I know could handle it in the long haul. Someone passionate about the work and the ideas, with a good style and ethic.

Peer… I know I want to write a fantasy story, and I know I want to hit a few of the high notes that people consistently liked about Peer, but it’s going to take time and some reinvention before I go there.

Fellwenner fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Dec 27, 2013

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I get what withak is saying, but good urban fantasy isn't so easy to come by, especially when the fantasy in the setting is hidden from the world at large. That coupled with the intelligence that Wildbow put into Worm and I think we'll be fine.

Edit: Wait a sec, this is interesting:

quote:

acediamonds

Maggie Holt? As in the Maggie Holt series mentioned several times during Worm?

Does that mean Pact exists in the Wormverse as a book told from Maggie’s perspective or is her name just a joke/reference?

wildbow

Oh, someone noticed. Kudos. :)

Anyone remember what this is referring to?

Fellwenner fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jan 1, 2014

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Saith posted:

I hate the Superhero genre with a passion, and Worm is one of my favourite things I've ever read. I haven't checked out any of the new series yet, but if Pact has been confirmed, I'll probably start reading it soon.

It has been. We should get a new site for it by the Saturday update.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Tollymain posted:

I'm still down for this :downs:

Yeah, that works pretty well.

Shakugan posted:

She could have raised a protege (Paige in your example, if she was the "best" choice) who knew the truth from the beginning and would have been completely prepared for taking over. She could have told the entire family the truth and let them know the succession order and that they shouldn't actually want to be the inheritor. She also could have let them have normal family relationships and sprung the only one inheritor thing in her will.

Except that would violate the oath that she made when she was pissed off as a kid, so protégé is out. Honestly I think that this whole business with all the family duking it out was to help Granny solidify her choices, get a last feel for everyone's personality and character.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Neurosis posted:

Up to 29.6. Can't stand Taylor anymore. No sense of humour, deluded as to her own flaws and virtues, want Scion to rip her in half.

Edit: seriously I had a 10 second think about why I found the interludes/bonus chapters so much better and it was pretty much because I didn't have a voice telling me:

* I'm an introvert
* I am best when I have time to plan
* I am best when I am forced to improvise (completely contradictory to above but never mind)
* I want the Simmurgh to follow me because I want to matter

Leave a comment somewhere, let Wildbow know your feedback. He'll be going through everything as he edits the chapters and that includes the comments.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Neurosis posted:

Also, Tattletale and the Undersiders are still in contact with Taylor, yeah? It's not really explicitly spelt out. They're aware she's alive and Tattletale says she'll deal with it but nothing explicit is said. I think without some help Taylor and her dad might have some trouble on Earth Aleph. Dad's job applications would be pretty hard.

I don't know that they have current contact with Taylor, they just know that she's alive and are trying to convince Dinah that she's dead so that she feels like poo poo because she played a large part in instigating Taylor's whole meltdown deal, or something like that.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Pact is ever so slowly picking up. I'm half inclined to give it a month of not reading to give Wildbow some time to take the training wheels off.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

SystemLogoff posted:

So, I stopped right after Dragon Died, what chapter do I need to start from to continue?

Dragon died in 26.X, so you would need to start in 26.4.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Latest interlude in Pact is great, lots of tension. Focused on Maggie who has, in all of two chapters, become far more interesting than Blake is.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Any thoughts on what Pauz was referring to concerning Rose?

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

NM

Fellwenner fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 21, 2014

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Blake didn't get hit by karma, just stupidity. He probably didn't close the web page on Fell's phone. Or if he used Google his search would have been saved.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

By this time in Worm, Taylor and the gang had barely got things started, so I'd say the pace is about right.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

So, is he a fugitive now?

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I like that this update ends with some good stuff happening for Blake and Co. and no steps back at all. It certainly does seem to be that Laird and Duncan are in for some poo poo.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Yeah, I'm talking about the obvious gently caress-you's after everything seemingly goes well.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

How do you define 'first thing'?

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I think it would have totally fit Coil's new persona as Calvert to have let Dinah go. You forego her power for a week or so, but in the end you still get to use it (at the PRT's expense), just not as ruthlessly I suppose.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Yeah. It's getting to the point to where I'm actually looking forward to Monday's because of a new update.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I get that Blake is going through some poo poo, but Rose is literally a mirror person who can't do much of anything beyond try to get this guy she barely knows to stop acting like such an impulsive dick and maybe listen to her calmly for a bit. I'm on her side for now, maybe if she had actual freedom then things might be different.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I'd say the latter. She hasn't really been given any screen time or opportunity to be a strong character. I feel that Wildbow has to do something with her soonish though, because right now she's just sort of pointless.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I'm glad Rose finally realized the level of sacrifice Blake made for her back at the police station.

As for summoning something, maybe that's Rose's burden. Being the dark half in their relationship.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Now that would be real interesting.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Scorpion 3-2 posted:

After sifting through a mountain of poo poo I found a gem! A good worm fan fiction.

Harbinger

Instead of becoming Khepri Taylor get's send back in time, well here mind takes over here 16 years old self one day before she fights Lung. It's surprisingly well written and in the 7 chapters that are out, which cover 3 days, Taylor wastes no time at all she set's mayor plans in motion which should lead to interesting divergences to the established timeline pretty soon.

There is a lot of :master: going on but not everything is going here way and with some of the stuff she has planed like killing Eidolon this should get very interesting.

Chapter 6, 7 Spoiler

I hope Tattletale get's left in the dark for quite some time her trying to figure Taylor out is pretty fun.

I started reading this tonight, and am enjoying it quite a bit. I think there are some definite tone issues, the characters don't have the voice that Wildbow gave and developed for them; with some it's really noticable (Accord, Tattletale). Also, there are some spelling issues here and there. On the whole, though, definitely worth reading.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Re-reading Maggie's history, the bit at the very end. I wonder if all of this has been anticipated and she is in Laird's pocket even now. Hmm. Part of me says no, her eagerness at this opportunity when Blake called her seemed too genuine, but I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

He's in the habit of trying to include a hook for the next chapter, without realizing it's really unnecessary at this point.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Yeah, I think that's about right. He appears to have skipped or compressed a bit, if we use Worm as an analogue. Virtually all of Worm arc's 11-23 were action, but it was preceded by a good solid foundation of building the world and the characters before Leviathan set things up and exploded it.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Yeah, to hell with Laird. That guy made Blake's life a living hell for no reason at all and was fully intending on having him killed. It's ironic that all this poo poo that happened was because Blake was forced into it to protect himself, not because his family past forced him to be evil.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I know. I still dislike the concept of karma affecting free will like that.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Depends on how much free time you have. At the very minimum, and this includes dropping some stuff you'd usually do, it'll be a couple of weeks.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Well, life inside a mirror would certainly keep people from touching him.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Blake is still alive. I want to believe.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

You're left with a shadow!

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Yeah, it's messed up that he voted in favor of executing her after she merely responded to hostilities. Jacob's Bell establishment has a really hosed up sense of morality.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Well, it's not just about right and wrong, although wanting and trying to kill someone for what they haven't done is probably wrong. It's conduct, standards of behavior. It's totally one sided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Yeah, Rose would have been all over that poo poo.

• Locked thread