Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Samog posted:

what's the irony level of the mencius moldbug namedrop in chapter 5

He's an author of a well-regarded :effort: post where he tries give a Devil's Advocate explanation of neoreaction and a similarly huge Anti-Reactionary FAQ which gets linked around a lot as the definitive explanation why neoreaction is kinda dumb. Personally, he's against it but he's really into giving everyone a fair shake and having a conversation and examining everything rationally and so forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Got round to reading Mother of Learning. It's quite good so far.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

mossyfisk posted:

Mother Of Learning is straight up the only serial I bother to follow that doesn't have an RSS feed. I always find it fun to read, and I've got a soft spot for stories that take tropes to their conclusions.

I'd post a shout out to the solidly amateur Man Of Last Millennium for being the living embodiment of "every new author thinks he has invented the corpsicle story", but alas it appears to be dead.

By the way, does anyone know what's up with the current deluge of incredibly formulaic Xianxia serials? I had no idea that stuff even existed in english. I know all the VR ones must have come from the koreans, but I had no idea anyone even read the chinese sclock. Can I dream of a future where every man and his dog is posting awful chivalric romances at this rate?

They're getting translated, I guess? I think the epicenter is /r/noveltranslations/.

Read Mother of Learning, yes. It is very good.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

I just finished migrating my friend's webfiction Hitherby Dragons to a wiki-based hosting solution that loads much more quickly, so I'm interested to a) get people to read and like it and b) see if people have any comments on this way of hosting the content.

Hitherby is lovely. I think it could probably use an introduction by a third party that, like, explains in plain terms what to expect and how to enjoy it, like all those classic novels get.

If you're reading this and have never heard of Hitherby before, off the top of my head, check out The Legend of Perfectly Defensive Samurai, or Ragnarok or The Land Where Suffering Is Remembered..

As for hosting it on a wiki, I must admit I don't think this is the best option. If it's speed and hosting you're concerned with, perhaps you could make it a Jekyll blog?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The poo poo I see posted most often is: Mother of Learning, Unsong, Practical Guide to Evil, The Gods are Bastards, Zombie Knight, A Hero's War.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

No publisher wants to buy the rights to a work whose contents are entirely out there, and what publisher would pick up Worm 2 if they couldn't also publish Worm 1?

He has multiple offers for Worm, apparently. What you said might have been true, I dunno, a decade ago, but it's a bit silly in 2017. But he'd probably get more money self-publishing, anyway, since he already has an audience.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Mar 8, 2017

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I don't suppose anyone has any epubs of the first few volumes of Gods are Bastards? Reading all that off a PC is a bit too much for me and the best solution I could find for making them on my own to read on my ereader basically only lets me do an epub of Book 7+, which is not terribly convenient.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

lurksion posted:

Were you using http://www.bloxp.com/? It requires some finagling with the advanced configuration (since as you found out, the default of doing things reverse chronological doesn't run you back to the start). Don't remember exactly what you need to do there.

Standard mode doesn't grab all the chapters, yeah. I couldn't get the advanced mode to work with the site.

The Shortest Path posted:

It's not exactly efficient, but you can copy the text of a chapter into a text editor, save it as a .doc file, and use a free epub converter like https://epub-maker.en.softonic.com/

To save on time you can ctrl+A to select all text on the page, shift+click immediately after the end of the chapter to cut off all the comments and such, then paste it and select all the top links to delete. I'm trying it out now and it takes 10-15 seconds per chapter, probably less as you'd get faster at it. It's probably even faster if you just dump it all into one file instead of making a separate one for each chapter like I'm trying.

I suppose I might give this a go. Someday, when I can be arsed.

oliveoil posted:

I get the impression Worm is good, but what would be the top 10 web serials?

Megazver posted:

The poo poo I see posted most often is: Mother of Learning, Unsong, Practical Guide to Evil, The Gods are Bastards, Zombie Knight, A Hero's War.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Nettle Soup posted:

So I just read the whole of Mother of Learning over about 2 days, how often does this thing update?

Also, I'd completely forgotten Fictionpress was even a thing, I read some great and also some awful stuff on there as a kid...

Every three weeks, more or less. You could give money to the author via Patreon but it's unlikely to change his publishing rate.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I've almost finished reading through what's currently available of Unsong and it's very good.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Unsong and Mother of Learning, I suppose.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Unsong's kabbalistic wankery chapters are like watching advanced equilibristics: sure, it's technically impressive that you can ride a unicycle over a tightrope, but ultimately, it's a whole lot of effort for something that isn't all that entertaining to watch. I skimmed most of them.

Thankfully the bulk of them is in the beginning and the story mostly moves on to much more interesting poo poo. I recommend it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

I've been binging The Wandering Inn for the past ~week, it's really good. It mostly follows a girl who gets sucked into a fantasy world and becomes an innkeeper, with some side character perspectives to add more depth to the world. Lots and lots of adorable, heartwarming moments mixed with the occasional bit of bleak despair and tragedy.

It's really good, and it updates pretty frequently too.

I like this. The author is on the cusp of being able to quit her job with the Patreon money, which is cool.

I wish Mother of Learning updated this much.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It's just a bog-standard Wordpress-hosted blog. There aren't even ads on it. I dunno. Are you sure it's the site and not something on your mobile?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

I wish I had the disposable income to pay these web serial authors more. There's like a dozen Patreons I want to be able to throw my wallet at.

I'll have to check out MoL too, I've heard good things.

I usually give them, like, what I'd pay for the equivalent amount of text in ebooks, then stop paying. And MoL is great.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Could back the Patreon for early updates, I suppose.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Out of curiosity, who do you guys think the Red Robe is in Mother of Learning?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Well, I guess it's time for my dumb pet theory. I don't think it's Veyers the fire-guy. He was, by all accounts, an underachieving twat and he had no obvious connection to the whole loop business. We also haven't met him at all, so if in the end it's him going "HA HA! IT'S ME, GUY YOU'VE NEVER MET" it's going to be fairly mediocre storytelling - and the author, so far, has been really good at this poo poo. Also, he's the guy who's propped up as the most obvious suspect, so by rules of mystery writing, he's the false lead.

No, I think it's Zach. Wait, no, sorry. Let me try again.

He's a Zach simulacrum gone rogue.

Evidence:

We got a lot of foreshadowing about how simulacra can go rogue after a while if their originator isn't especially responsible and moral, and so far Zorian I believe has had his copies running for more or less the entirety of the loop with nothing worse than them pulling pranks on him. Zach is a nice dude but he also strikes me as someone with less resolve and self-control than Zorian and that foreshadowing, I feel, is more than just something to keep us on our toes.

Then, Zach mentions there is an odd discrepancy between his abilities and his mana supply. You know what does that? Having a simulacrum out there. Admittedly, he mentions he has MORE mana than his 'magnitude' would entail, which is definitely not how we've been told it works, but once we're in weird self-empowered simulacrum territory, who knows what fuckery has happened? The anomaly doesn't match anything we've been told, but it's still a very suspicious anomaly in that specific area.

Zach doesn't know the simulacrum spell, sure. But he's also been thoroughly mind-scrubbed and, if my theory is true, that would be the number one thing to edit out. And, y'know, Zach might not be a huge-rear end nerd like Zorian, but he's still someone who's spent his decades in Zero-Responsibility Groundhog Month Land grinding obscure powerful magic instead of just kicking back and pounding pussy for thirty years, including getting pretty good (if not as good as Zorian who kinda had to by necessity) at the boring rear end Xvim-style poo poo just for the gently caress of it, and him going "oh I guess I don't have a prereq to learn this incredibly powerful and useful spell, guess I'll just throw it away and never bother with it again" strikes me a bit off, if not entirely out of character.

I also got a vibe that Red Robe's relationship with Zach went beyond "ah, the other loop guy."

The main blow against this theory is the minor inconvenient fact that, according to what the characters been told so far, simulacra should disappear after the reset. (Although, have we actually seen Zorian keep one going up to the point of reset and then verify that?) Thing is, in stories like this, which hinge on an ever expanding ruleset for the magic, there is always room for a later reveal of an 'except' when it's time for all the pieces to finally fall into place.

Simulacra don't persist after the reset... except if they're made by the guy with the original super-marker. Except if they manage to survive the reset by taking over/riding in/doing other soul magic fuckery on someone else's body. (Poor Veyers, perhaps?) Except if, in last ditch effort, they try waiting the reset out in the Guardian's room. Except if they bind themselves to a phylactery by doing what liches use the simulacrum spell for.

The rules are open enough that, if I had to take over the story as a writer, I could come up with half a dozen ideas more. Have I figured it out? I dunno, man. Probably not. But until I'm proven wrong, I'm sticking to this theory, because it's fun.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 19, 2017

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

NinjaDebugger posted:

Zach is the simulacrum.

I suppose this could happen, but that would involve Real Evil Zach mind-editing a simulacrum and then just leaving it running around forever instead of just reabsorbing it at will. This strikes me as a bit too overcomplicated.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I kinda put all that poo poo under a spoiler tag on purpose. Not everyone here has read MoL. Could you...? EDIT: Thank you!

And I suppose that could be a thing, yes. It's an interesting idea, but I guess we haven't been told a lot about that type of magic yet.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jul 20, 2017

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Wittgen posted:

Critically, it also manages to maintain a feeling that the MC is utterly hosed. That's not easy.

I dunno. Not really? It's a very low-stress read, which is one of the things I like about it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Well, there's that one nagging thing that guarantees he dies unless he solves it, and a massive brick wall in the way of solving it.

Yes, that's called having a conflict. Spoiler alert: it's not going to end with a "oh well I guess there's nothing I can do I guess I should just lie down and die" *dies*.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
This month's Mother of Learning up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Thankfully you can skip most of the puns. I highly recommend doing so to anyone giving Unsong a try.

• Locked thread