Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

The Dave posted:

No one is doing anything original. Find a site or template they like and recreate it without thinking. Unless you’re actually in the creative space, responsible for branding and identity and trying to be industry leading, everyone just wants to be someone else.

I've been thinking about that. I hate using AI, but I'm probably going to have to use ChatGPT to write his content if I continue with the site. The site he likes is nearly 100% product descriptions and product images he doesn't have, so that's the main thing that's stopping me. Can't make those up out of thin air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Just stick in lorem ipsum and placeholder images.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Harriet Carker posted:

Just stick in lorem ipsum and placeholder images.

That never works in my experience. All they'll focus on is that the text is some weird language and that they don't like the images. It's a waste of time.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Ima Computer posted:

There's a decent article in the new react docs that goes into this in more detail as well.

prom candy posted:

Also not sure exactly what you're doing but this is essential reading for newer React devs: https://react.dev/learn/you-might-not-need-an-effect

Thanks for these links! I've been taking some things for granted with React, so I should refresh on the basics.

For this particular case, I found that I could add a useEffect to reset the page number on query change. It's not elegant, but it works.
code:
useEffect( () => { setPageNo(1); }, [query] )

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

timp posted:

PM me for more details on the job, but if you're with a web developer than can handle an ecomm site with about 400 products and a healthy amount of SEO requests, hit me up!

PM sent!

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

LifeLynx posted:

Twenty years of this and I still don't know how to handle clients who don't know what they want
— snip —

That’s just the human condition, you have to provide say a set of options from templates and use AI to fill in pieces no one will read or care much about.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

America Inc. posted:

Thanks for these links! I've been taking some things for granted with React, so I should refresh on the basics.

For this particular case, I found that I could add a useEffect to reset the page number on query change. It's not elegant, but it works.
code:
useEffect( () => { setPageNo(1); }, [query] )

you want to call setPageNo(1) in the same place where you call setQuery() because it's more performant

The reason is because react batches state updates so if you have 1 function that updates 3 pieces of state, the component only gets rendered once.

https://react.dev/learn/queueing-a-series-of-state-updates

with your useEffect, you're creating an extra render unnecessarily.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

MrMoo posted:

That’s just the human condition, you have to provide say a set of options from templates and use AI to fill in pieces no one will read or care much about.

And give them a decoy "bad" option to turn down, so they get to feel like a decision maker while never really influencing things

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
They'll pick the bad option 50% of the time though.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Nolgthorn posted:

They'll pick the bad option 50% of the time though.

Yeah, I was going to say, definitely don't do this. I've learned through much painful experience that if you present an option you don't want the client to pick, they will pick it and then you'll be stuck with it. It's better to present a single option and make the argument as to why this is the best option for them than it is to present one you love and one you hate.

LifeLynx posted:

Twenty years of this and I still don't know how to handle clients who don't know what they want on their website. I have a client who wants to buy and sell items, but I'm having a very difficult time getting him to give me content, any content, and when he does it's a grammatical mess of half-finished ideas. It's like going to a real estate agent and saying "I want a building" but not having any idea if you want a residential place, commercial, how many rooms, colors, etc. This is why I like working with agencies more than individual clients.

My method for this is to build in a content delivery deadline for the client within my project timelines. It is placed at a specific point where I will have billed for more work than I will have completed, and if the client starts dragging their feet on content I simply put the project on indefinite hold, delaying the delivery date. I also charge a weekly (or monthly, depending on the project) delay fee and/or a re-initiation fee if the project is delayed more than X months. That way if a client pulls this kind of poo poo with me, I'm not out any money and the client has impetus to get me the crap they owe me because they are out money. A good contract should also cover this sort of thing because the second you say something like, "Okay, I'm putting this project on hold until you deliver the content, which means we can no longer hit your targeted launch date" the client will get all grumpy, so it's important to have something in writing to point to. Especially in case they get litigious.

This becomes less of an issue with higher dollar clients – it's usually small mom and pop businesses that pull this sort of thing.

kedo fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 24, 2024

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I've got another question that's not really a webdev question, but it has to do with websites. My mom uses this really, really ugly website for her job to log hours, and to get her hours for sick leave she has to fix some errors with her attendance. The interface they provide to fix those errors is of course really dumb, and she has to click "Disagree" on 100 items, fill out a form with a dropdown and text input, and click a submit button. Because there are 100 items, she has to do this 100 times. There is no "Disagree all" button.

Does anyone know of a tool she can use that will just automatically select all the "Disagree" buttons, and fill out the form for her? Sounds like a good browser extension. Maybe this will work? https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/axiom-browser-automation/cpgamigjcbffkaiciiepndmonbfdimbb?hl=en-GB

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

America Inc. posted:

I've got another question that's not really a webdev question, but it has to do with websites. My mom uses this really, really ugly website for her job to log hours, and to get her hours for sick leave she has to fix some errors with her attendance. The interface they provide to fix those errors is of course really dumb, and she has to click "Disagree" on 100 items, fill out a form with a dropdown and text input, and click a submit button. Because there are 100 items, she has to do this 100 times. There is no "Disagree all" button.

Does anyone know of a tool she can use that will just automatically select all the "Disagree" buttons, and fill out the form for her? Sounds like a good browser extension. Maybe this will work? https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/axiom-browser-automation/cpgamigjcbffkaiciiepndmonbfdimbb?hl=en-GB

There’s lots of ways to do this. Be careful with browser extensions. It’s like installing mystery software.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

CarForumPoster posted:

There’s lots of ways to do this

This was the advice I always got when going to my computer science professor's office hours and I always left his office more confused than when I walked in

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

America Inc. posted:

Someone half-competent with Javascript could probably look at the website's source and offer up a JavaScript one-liner that could be entered into the dev console and auto-click all the buttons. But I'm going to guess it's some internal app and it'd be hard to get eyeballs on it.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

teen phone cutie posted:

This was the advice I always got when going to my computer science professor's office hours and I always left his office more confused than when I walked in

Fair enough:
Tampermonkey + A tampermonkey script so that the replacements can be checked for viruses
Autohotkey
Selenium compiled to an exe for a novice user that includes chrome/chromedriver bundled.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

At work, we maintain four sites that use different NPM configurations: two use both bower and grunt, one just uses grunt, and the most modern uses straight NPM. The developer who set this up is gone and the bower using sites are starting to run into direct issues with compiling locally. I don't believe that the issues are there when deployment, but it feels like a matter of time. Is converting to these seemingly older methods to pure NPM ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Maigius posted:

At work, we maintain four sites that use different NPM configurations: two use both bower and grunt, one just uses grunt, and the most modern uses straight NPM. The developer who set this up is gone and the bower using sites are starting to run into direct issues with compiling locally. I don't believe that the issues are there when deployment, but it feels like a matter of time. Is converting to these seemingly older methods to pure NPM ?

It's very easy and one of my favorite things to do, please hire me