Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Depressing Box posted:

It looks like Safari has remote Web Inspector support as of iOS 6.

Yep, shits me cause I work on Ubuntu, but basically the only way to get good info out of the iPhone beyond alerts now, is USB + Safari. Can't even get at debug messages with just the phone now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
I'm going to post the brand spanking new Freelance / Finding Work section in a few days but I am looking for input from those that freelance, are in charge of hiring, or outsource their work.

What I am looking for:
  1. Portfolio Examples
    If you're involved in the hiring process and review portfolios please (if you can) provide examples of good portfolio sites. A small write up of why they are good, and what they could improve would be nice if you have time. Common mistakes.

2. Interview Tips
    Again, those that are in charge of interviews or hiring a small write up about your companies hiring process. I realize this may be different for everyone but general tips and advice is what I'm after. I know we have a Newbie Programming Interviews thread, should I just link to that?

3. Where to find jobs / contracts
    I find that most of my work comes from referrals, has anyone had luck with places like odesk?

4. Random things I may not think about
    General freelancing advice, horror stories, success stories, etc...

Thanks in advance if you can contribute.

Oh My Science fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jul 9, 2013

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.

Maluco Marinero posted:

Yep, shits me cause I work on Ubuntu, but basically the only way to get good info out of the iPhone beyond alerts now, is USB + Safari. Can't even get at debug messages with just the phone now.

Haven't tried it myself yet, but weinre might help. It looks like it'll work on any system that can run node.js and a Webkit-based browser.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Oh My Science posted:

[*]Interview Tips
Again, those that are in charge of interviews or hiring a small write up about your companies hiring process. I realize this may be different for everyone but general tips and advice is what I'm after. I know we have a Newbie Programming Interviews thread, should I just link to that?

Having interviewed a lot of folks over the last 5 years, I can rattle off a lot of these, but the most important one is this: If it is on your resume, you should be able to talk at length in an intelligent fashion about it. Soooooo many people slap alphabet soup on their resumes and come to a grinding halt when I ask them about it.

ME: "So I see you have LAMP here on your resume; what distros have you used and tell me what you've learned about installation and configuration since you started using this stack."
THEM: :ohdear:
ME: "Hmm, OK then... says here you have AngularJS experience. What are some things you think could be improved in that framework, and what are some things you think they got 'just right'?"
THEM: :downsgun:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Maluco Marinero posted:

I've gotten it to work on an OSX VM running on top of VirtualBox. Thing is, OSX on the VM isn't what I'd call stable and of course the device won't deign to charge on hardware Apple hasn't anointed so the battery runs down really quickly, so it's not an ideal solution.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Oh My Science posted:

1. Portfolio Examples
    If you're involved in the hiring process and review portfolios please (if you can) provide examples of good portfolio sites. A small write up of why they are good, and what they could improve would be nice if you have time. Common mistakes.

I'm very interested in this. I'm a frontend dev and I have no idea what to put on a portfolio. If I use thumbnails of previous work I'm just showing the web design. I can't always use links as some projects have disappeared or gone offline or were private. What's the best solution for this kind of thing?

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

gmq posted:

I'm very interested in this. I'm a frontend dev and I have no idea what to put on a portfolio. If I use thumbnails of previous work I'm just showing the web design. I can't always use links as some projects have disappeared or gone offline or were private. What's the best solution for this kind of thing?

My portfolio admittedly isn't the best because I am not a graphic designer, but I do my best to show screenshots wherever possible, blocking out client information if necessary. Each project I do has a thumbnail photo, even if it's just a logo for the site I worked on. If a project is mostly back-end, I'd describe what I did as much as I can without revealing any trade secrets, etc.

E.g.:
  • Created wrapper script to work with the Blackbaud API
  • Ensured maximum sanity checking in all fields
  • Custom error messages for everything
  • Wrote a basic credit card validation script to take some of the credit card validation load off the Blackbaud processor
  • Implemented ability to add and modify registration types based off existing "product inventory" system
  • Implemented ability to enter corporate or other unique discounts based off existing discount system
  • Created mail script to notify selected people of new membership registrations, based off the type of registration (gift vs. high-dollar donor, etc)
  • Ensured PCI-DSS compliance

The important bit is to only put in info you can expound at length upon if asked, like Lumpy said. I can't tell you exactly how I implemented this specific client's PCI compliance, but I can give you an overview on PCI compliance, why it's important, general-level information on how to update your website so that you will comply, etc etc.

In addition, if you worked in a team on a project, say so, but also make sure to highlight your specific contributions. My previous boss and I worked together on a project, he did all the fancy searching coding while I took care of most of the front-end and putting together the client documentation, etc. It's your portfolio; toot your own horn as much as possible, but also give credit where credit is due.

edit: Also make sure you get permission to use screenshots of clients' back-end sites, even if you're going to block out all the sensitive information.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

gmq posted:

If you are a developer, you don't need a portfolio. You can showcase running bits of code maybe as "portfolio pieces", but a link to your bit bucket / github or a project you did all on your own with source is all you really need. You need to prove your are smart and can figure things out, not that you can knock my socks off visually.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Lumpy posted:

If you are a developer, you don't need a portfolio. You can showcase running bits of code maybe as "portfolio pieces", but a link to your bit bucket / github or a project you did all on your own with source is all you really need. You need to prove your are smart and can figure things out, not that you can knock my socks off visually.

That's another thing I'm struggling with, where do I find time to code my own projects (for github exposition) if I'm working full time (with a lot of overtime)? I feel like I'm kinda screwed if I ever want to get a new job. :v:

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Honestly, for a developer I think interview skills are more important than a portfolio. Developers are in very high demand right now, so if you can give a decent interview, you will get multiple job offers. I think it's definitely a good thing to also have a Github account with some samples, but it's not absolutely necessary. A lot of places will want you to complete a homework assignment anyway and that's where you can show your stuff.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

sim posted:

Honestly, for a developer I think interview skills are more important than a portfolio. Developers are in very high demand right now, so if you can give a decent interview, you will get multiple job offers. I think it's definitely a good thing to also have a Github account with some samples, but it's not absolutely necessary. A lot of places will want you to complete a homework assignment anyway and that's where you can show your stuff.

In fact I wonder how many times developers review other developers' portfolios when deciding whether to pursue recruitment. Does anybody have experience actually doing this? You'd think that things are still done old school where only the recruiter is involved in the first step and thus github doesn't factor in.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Have a weird CSS question for you eggheads. I've got a setup like this:
code:
<body>
  <div class="headerContainer" style="background-image:url(/blah.jpg);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:center 0px;">
    <div class="headerContent" style="background-color:#101010;">
      Stuff
    </div>
  </div>
</body>
My problem is that I would like the background image in headerContainer to be 'on top' of the background color in headerContent, but z-index and !IMPORTANT don't seem to do anything to the sorting. The 'real' solution would be to have the background image inside headerContent, but headerContent is much smaller than the background image, and a background image can't exceed the size of its container. Is there a way to force the headerContainer to sort higher than the headerContent while maintaining this structure? Or am I doomed to having to use an IMG tag instead?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Scaramouche posted:

code:
<body>
  <div class="headerContainer" style="background-image:url(/blah.jpg);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:center 0px;">
    <div class="headerContent" style="background-color:#101010;">
      Stuff
    </div>
  </div>
</body>
My problem is that I would like the background image in headerContainer to be 'on top' of the background color in headerContent, but z-index and !IMPORTANT don't seem to do anything to the sorting. The 'real' solution would be to have the background image inside headerContent, but headerContent is much smaller than the background image, and a background image can't exceed the size of its container. Is there a way to force the headerContainer to sort higher than the headerContent while maintaining this structure? Or am I doomed to having to use an IMG tag instead?

You're trying to achieve the impossible. A parent container cannot have a higher z-index than a child container, full stop. Your best bet would be to put a sibling container in there with headerContent, and apply the background image to it.

For example:

CSS code:
.headerContanier {
  position: relative;
}
.headerContent {
  position: inherit;
  z-index: 1;
  background:#101010;
}
.headerBackground {
  height: 100%; width: 100%;
  position: absolute;
  z-index: 0;
  background-image: url(/blah.jpg) no-repeat center 0px;
}
PHP code:
<body>
  <div class="headerContainer">
    <div class="headerContent">
      Stuff
    </div>
    <div class="headerBackground"></div>
  </div>
</body>
Also, don't use inline CSS. <Picture me bitch slapping you here>

fakedit: does code=html really not have syntax highlighting?

e: gently caress that's not working. HOLD ON.
e2: Yes it is, I had a typo in my jsFiddle.
e3: Speaking of which, here's the fiddle: http://jsfiddle.net/9GtSn/

e4: Wait, you want the background of a parent to be on top of the child? That makes no sense, and my brain failed to process it. Give the background image to the child and give it a set height/width, or use padding to make up the missing px for the background image. Ignore everything I posted above.

e5: In fact, my mind is just boggled. I have no idea what you're trying to achieve. Can you post a screen shot? You and I are probably both making this way harder than it is.

kedo fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 10, 2013

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

Scaramouche posted:

My problem is that I would like the background image in headerContainer to be 'on top' of the background color in headerContent, but z-index and !IMPORTANT don't seem to do anything to the sorting.

If Kedo and I read this correctly it is impossible. Please provide a sketch or rough outline of what you want to achieve and we can probably make a suggestion or two.

I just looked at kedo's jsfiddle, is that what you want?

Oh My Science fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 10, 2013

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I'm using codeigniter for a simple taks list app. It does some AJAX stuff, too. Is the correct way to implement AJAX to somehow tie it into the MVC structure, or is it okay to just have JavaScript calling a PHP file somewhere? It's difficult to Google the answer to this.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

hayden. posted:

I'm using codeigniter for a simple taks list app. It does some AJAX stuff, too. Is the correct way to implement AJAX to somehow tie it into the MVC structure, or is it okay to just have JavaScript calling a PHP file somewhere? It's difficult to Google the answer to this.

Your Ajax calls should be to a controller in your app. If they fulfill they same function as something that already is handled by an existing one, then the same controller that just renders the response differently based on if its an Ajax call or not. If for some reason the Ajax call has a purpose completely unrelated to the rest of your app, it should go in a controller in a separate app.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Scaramouche posted:

What you want is to apply the CSS for your background-image in "headerContent", and use the background-size property to re-size the background image to fit your parent if it's too large to contain [experimental].

code:

<div class="headerContent" style="background-color:#101010;background-image:url(/blah.jpg);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:center 0px; background-size: 25%;">
However, I would not advise you to continue using inline-CSS styles.

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013

DreadCthulhu posted:

In fact I wonder how many times developers review other developers' portfolios when deciding whether to pursue recruitment. Does anybody have experience actually doing this? You'd think that things are still done old school where only the recruiter is involved in the first step and thus github doesn't factor in.

Doing code review is quite common from my experience. When my previous job was trying to find another good front-end dev, the team lead asked me to review old projects from the applicant so I could have an idea of how he works.

We also did a technical test: sent him a small assignment (one small page design to put in HTML/CSS/JS) to see how he approaches that kind of work.
The idea with this test is to check if the code is outright terrible, the recruitment process stops. If not, we invite the guy for an interview and we question him about his technical choices, so the whole test was not a "can you code" as much as a "how do you make choices between multiple technical solutions".

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Heres what not to do when interviewing potential applicants for a web job:

One company I applied to recently asked me to do a "test" involving some basic html layout + cms useage. They said it was a take home test due in a fortnight, and they'd email it to me the monday after.

Anyway the mail arived, and it came with a 40 page word doc filled with content , a 10 page spec, some photoshop psd files and instruction to create a full site based on the specs using one of the higher end open source cms's (Cant remember which one it was, uh whatever the ellis lab one is)

I googled the company listed in the spec doc, it was a client of the company I was applying to. Their site was a 1990s era table laid out poo poo-site. Clearly they where in the process of getting said company I was applying for to do their site. On further googling I discovered this lovely company used job applicants to do their contracts and never actually hired or paid developers for their work. It was illegal and exploitative, and having ran my own business for 5 years prior to this I loving knew it and so did they.

So I sent said company I was applying for a $30K quote, and I sent their client a $10K quote.

Said company I was applying for never got back to me. Well not until their client had dropped them and contacted me directly telling me they wanted me to do it instead. Then the company I was 'applying' for called me up and flipped the gently caress out. I got my lawyer mate to call them back threatening to blow the lid on them for violating labor hiring laws, which carries fines in australia of potentially millions. Snd they shut the gently caress up and let me keep the contract. Checkmate cunts.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jul 10, 2013

haakman
May 5, 2011
Goons,

I am the only semi-technically literate guy in our office. My boss's browser (IE8) can no longer access our website. Our website is some god awful flash based template. When I try and access on his computer I get the following error message:-

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; GTB7.5; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; InfoPath.1)
Timestamp: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 13:28:54 UTC

Line: 4050
Char: 3
Code: 0
URI: http://www.petercrichton1.webeden.co.uk/_app/28713/en/resources/big.js?tracker=SM.SWFAddress.tracker

Line: 207
Char: 5
URI: http://www.petercrichton1.webeden.co.uk/

Line: 232
Char: 2

I presume it is something to do with JavaScript - any ideas for a fix? The website runs absolutely fine in Chrome and Firefox. I've contacted the company who provide our website and their response was, and this is a direct quote - 'Maybe they should consider upgrading their version of Internet explorer?'

I've literally just started to try and learn web development - this stuff is way above my level.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

haakman posted:

Goons,

I am the only semi-technically literate guy in our office. My boss's browser (IE8) can no longer access our website. Our website is some god awful flash based template. When I try and access on his computer I get the following error message:-

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; GTB7.5; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; InfoPath.1)
Timestamp: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 13:28:54 UTC

Line: 4050
Char: 3
URI: http://www.petercrichton1.webeden.co.uk/_app/28713/en/resources/big.js?tracker=SM.SWFAddress.tracker

Line: 207
Char: 5

Line: 232
Char: 2

I presume it is something to do with JavaScript - any ideas for a fix? The website runs absolutely fine in Chrome and Firefox. I've contacted the company who provide our website and their response was, and this is a direct quote - 'Maybe they should consider upgrading their version of Internet explorer?'

I've literally just started to try and learn web development - this stuff is way above my level.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah those are Javascript errors for sure.

The first error message (line 4050 in http://www.petercrichton1.webeden.co.uk/_app/28713/en/resources/big.js?tracker=SM.SWFAddress.tracker) is the problem – there's something wonky with the syntax of that line that IE doesn't like, and since that line is part of the definition for the SM function, IE then throws two more errors when the page tries to actually use the SM function, because it thinks it's broken. IE's Javascript engine is much more finicky than Chrome or Firefox, which is probably why it's working in those other two browsers.

I'd guess your provider responded like that because A) they didn't write that javascript (it's a third party plugin) and probably have no idea how to fix it, because B) they're clearly lovely at their jobs as that website really sucks. :P

Here's the offending line (4050) of code, again from this js file:

JavaScript code:
},};
The formatting in that document is so atrocious that I'm not going to try to troubleshoot it for you, but I would bet :10bux: that if you removed the comma, it would work. But I could be very wrong.

\/\/ Very yes.

kedo fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 10, 2013

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013

kedo posted:

I'd guess your provider responded like that because A) they didn't write that javascript (it's a third party plugin) and probably have no idea how to fix it, because B) they're clearly lovely at their jobs as that website really sucks. :P

Don't forget: C) killing IE8 with a bat isn't exactly the worst idea in the world.

Pseudo-God
Mar 13, 2006

I just love oranges!
Suggesting that you move away from IE8 is not a bad suggestion to be honest. If you don't have any ActiveX apps or some other ancient software, I would strongly advise you to upgrade to Chrome or IE10.

DaveP
Apr 25, 2011
Hey guys, I've walked into agreeing to help make a commerce website for a friend and I'm looking for the path of least resistance. With a friend doing visual design I've built a nice minimal landing page and we've done layout on the rest of the site, but for build I'm looking for the e-commerce service to suit the time/effort I want to put into this -in a perfect world I'd just be able to modify an existing minimal template, style it up as per our layouts and then make it so the landing page just sends through to this store site. I've had a look at squarespace and shopify, but without diving deep into them to difficult to tell what I'm capable of doing to existing templates.

Any help much appreciated, I'm fairly well versed in HTML/css and alright at js/jquery, and willing to learn more as required.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Thanks for the feedback guys; the more I look at it I think I may have been wrongheaded in how I was approaching it. I'm having to adapt an existing layout, so was kind of mentally 'stuck' with how it was constructed originally. I ended up doing what Kedo suggested originally by splitting the child divs.

As for inline styles, I wasn't actually using them 'for real', I just thought it would make things easier to communicate in the example I provided since it would all be in one place as it were.

DaveP:
I've been working in ecommerce for the last 7 years so I know my way around it quite well, though we've developed our own internal platform instead of relying on third party ones. However I've transitioned people from many platforms to ours so I do have some exposure to them. The biggest question I think, is how big is the site and how much volume is expected? If the answer to both is 'low' then you can probably modify something off the shelf like shopify. There is also a simple wordpress shopping cart for paypal:
http://wordpress.org/plugins/wordpress-simple-paypal-shopping-cart/

It also depends on your friend's merchant set up and how they want to handle payment processing.

DaveP
Apr 25, 2011
/\/\/\/\/\

Thanks, I think I'm gonna stick with shopify, just gotta get my head around modifying liquid

haakman
May 5, 2011

kedo posted:

Yeah those are Javascript errors for sure.

Thanks for this!

To clarify - the error in JS is totally server side and there's nothing I can do about it? I'm trying to convince the office to move to Chrome, but they are convinced it's evil?

The website seems to load on a couple of computers around the office (using IE) but not on mine or my bosses. I've tried upgrading IE on my bosses computer to no avail, same error.

Barring switching to another browser - which is what I want - is there anything I can do to make the website run in IE (compatibility or that type of thing?)

Thanks

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

haakman posted:

Thanks for this!

To clarify - the error in JS is totally server side and there's nothing I can do about it? I'm trying to convince the office to move to Chrome, but they are convinced it's evil?

The website seems to load on a couple of computers around the office (using IE) but not on mine or my bosses. I've tried upgrading IE on my bosses computer to no avail, same error.

Barring switching to another browser - which is what I want - is there anything I can do to make the website run in IE (compatibility or that type of thing?)

Thanks

Maybe they'll be more receptive to updating to IE10. It's a decent browser.
Edit: It occurred to me that they might be on an operating system that doesn't support IE10.
What about Firefox? If your employer is concerned about Google 'spying' on them, Firefox would be a good alternative.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

haakman posted:

Well, you could try to debug the JS and fix the error, but considering you can't replicate it on any other computer (that page loads with no errors for me in IE 8, btw) it seems likely that it's something unique to his machine. Hard to know what's causing it.

You could try putting IE into compatibility mode (Tools > Compatibility View) but that may or may not solve the problem. Eruonen is right – Firefox is a good alternative to Chrome. Just get him to switch to something other than IE.

e: Wait! I just put IE 8 into compatibility view and got those errors. So disable it on his computer and you should be good (but still, make him switch – IE 8 is old and stupid).

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
I hope it's alright to share this but Mobify released a free e-book yesterday, The Ultimate Guide to Tablet Web Design. If you're interested, you can download it here. :)

haakman
May 5, 2011

kedo posted:

e: Wait! I just put IE 8 into compatibility view and got those errors. So disable it on his computer and you should be good (but still, make him switch – IE 8 is old and stupid).

Bingo! This worked - thanks.

To continue my own education... any idea why this worked? Is IE8 in compatibility view extra finicky?

Pseudo-God
Mar 13, 2006

I just love oranges!
Who knows, IE is dumb like that. It's the source of lots of pain for anyone who works as a front-end developer.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

haakman posted:

Bingo! This worked - thanks.

To continue my own education... any idea why this worked? Is IE8 in compatibility view extra finicky?

In a nutshell, compatibility view makes IE 8+ act like an older, shittier version of IE. It's a nasty solution for a non-problem... Back in the day lots of websites were coded in a way so that they would only work with a certain version of IE, usually 6. Upgrading to IE 8 would cause these sites to stop working. People got all annoyed, ("I just paid to have this site made and now it doesn't work, wtf Microsoft! :argh:") so instead of taking a strong stance and saying "Get with the time and update your code, schmucks :colbert:" Microsoft caved and created compatibility view.

The problem is that users have no idea what it actually does... they think it's just a magical "fix everything that looks broken on the internet" button, when in reality it just takes their lovely browser and makes it even shittier. And of course once they turn it on, 100% of the time they forget to turn it off.

So your boss was actually using an old and crappy Javascript engine without knowing it.

e: Man, remembering stuff like this really shows how far the web has come in the past five to ten years. Developing a site back then was such a pain in the rear end.

\/\/ Heheh, yup.

kedo fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 11, 2013

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

kedo posted:

In a nutshell, compatibility view makes IE 8+ act like an older, shittier version of IE. It's a nasty solution for a non-problem... Back in the day lots of websites were coded in a way so that they would only work with a certain version of IE, usually 6. Upgrading to IE 8 would cause these sites to stop working. People got all annoyed, ("I just paid to have this site made and now it doesn't work, wtf Microsoft! :argh:") so instead of taking a strong stance and saying "Get with the time and update your code, schmucks :colbert:" Microsoft caved and created compatibility view.

The problem is that users have no idea what it actually does... they think it's just a magical "fix everything that I think looks broken on the internet" button, when in reality it just takes their lovely browser and makes it even shittier. And of course once they turn it on, 100% of the time they forget to turn it off.

So your boss was actually using an old and crappy Javascript engine without knowing it.

He's using IE8, so he still is

:downsrim:

http://theie8countdown.com/

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.

Lumpy posted:

He's using IE8, so he still is

:downsrim:

http://theie8countdown.com/
Unfortunately for me, we'll be apparently moving a few thousand users to Windows 7 right before XP support expires, so our users will be upgrading to IE8 from IE7! At least we have Chrome Frame...

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It still seems like yesterday that we were waiting to drop IE6 support, so the fact that we're now talking about whether or not to support IE8 makes me feel good.

Uziel posted:

At least we have Chrome Frame...

Oh yeah? http://blog.chromium.org/2013/06/retiring-chrome-frame.html

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Uziel posted:

Unfortunately for me, we'll be apparently moving a few thousand users to Windows 7 right before XP support expires, so our users will be upgrading to IE8 from IE7! At least we have Chrome Frame...

It is your personal responsibility to upgrade every computer to IE 10. If you do not, you are a bad person. :colbert:

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.
Yeah, I saw that, I was unfortunately being sarcastic. :|

kedo posted:

It is your personal responsibility to upgrade every computer to IE 10. If you do not, you are a bad person. :colbert:
I'm an admin on my machine only and upgrades for non-admins will be blocked because it's not "supported" or something. I'm trying to verify but I probably won't know til last minute.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Diabolik900 posted:

It still seems like yesterday that we were waiting to drop IE6 support, so the fact that we're now talking about whether or not to support IE8 makes me feel good.

I remember forcing people to upgrade to IE4 for better table support... :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Uziel posted:

I'm an admin on my machine only and upgrades for non-admins will be blocked because it's not "supported" or something. I'm trying to verify but I probably won't know til last minute.

Gah, that kind of poo poo drives me crazy. I worked at a big NGO awhile back and they were stuck on IE 5, if I remember correctly. Why? Because they had some crappy intranet system that "only worked on IE 5" and the head IT dude refused to move to a more modern system.

I am so happy that the best web technologies these days are all browser agnostic. ActiveX was my nemesis for so long...