Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

Sereri posted:

I'm currently rewriting how Awful (for Android) creates the HTML of the parsed forum threads and since it's gonna rely a lot more on CSS this time I'm looking for web-developers to tell me that my HTML/CSS/JS is bad, my choices in layout/styling are bad and how to improve them.

If you want to help please send me a PM. Having access to an Android phone is not really necessary since it's all HTML though I guess it might help.

Quoting this to get it a little more exposure. I don't have time to help and people that actually use android might care to help a little more than I would (iPhone for life).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day
Joomla is also a pretty big player in the CMS systems. I'm using it for developing my employer's site. Well, we paid a web development firm to build the base site, and I'm tweaking it. On their recommendation, we picked Joomla because of easy Magento (ecommerce platform) integration. I noticed last week that the menus on product pages is not the same as the menus for article pages. Turns out the Joomla uses Mootools, which is incompatible with Magento. Guess I'm stuck maintaining two different menu systems for the site now...

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Lucid Nonsense posted:

Joomla is also a pretty big player in the CMS systems. I'm using it for developing my employer's site. Well, we paid a web development firm to build the base site, and I'm tweaking it. On their recommendation, we picked Joomla because of easy Magento (ecommerce platform) integration. I noticed last week that the menus on product pages is not the same as the menus for article pages. Turns out the Joomla uses Mootools, which is incompatible with Magento. Guess I'm stuck maintaining two different menu systems for the site now...

Joomla is terrible and you guys/your developers unfortunately made a bad choice. I'm constantly baffled by the number of people that still push it.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

People who use grey text on a slightly lighter grey background should have their teeth introduced to a brick, but it's encouraging to see the numbers so low.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Munkeymon posted:

People who use grey text on a slightly lighter grey background should have their teeth introduced to a brick, but it's encouraging to see the numbers so low.

I agree on all points.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is there a way in CSS transitions to fade something out, wait, then bring in the next slide?

I am using Twitter Bootstrap and found stuff online for introducing a fade. The client tho doesn't like the way text crossfades since you can still see the other letters. So we want to introduce a white delay between things.

code:
carousel.carousel-fade .item, .carousel-caption h1 {
	 -webkit-transition: opacity 1.2s ease-in-out;
	-moz-transition: opacity 1.2s ease-in-out;
	-ms-transition: opacity 1.2s ease-in-out;
	-o-transition: opacity 1.2s ease-in-out;
	transition: opacity 1.2s ease-in-out;
	-webkit-backface-visibility: hidden;
	-webkit-perspective: 1000;
	filter: alpha(opacity=50);
}

.carousel.carousel-fade .active.left,
.carousel.carousel-fade .active.right {
  left: 0;
  z-index: 2;
  opacity: 0;
  filter: alpha(opacity=0);
}
That is the CSS stuff. And the boostrap Carousel does it's own thing. It really shouldn't be a issue but im banging my head as it's bit out of nowhere as most people WANT the crossfade.

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.
What you're looking for is transition-delay applied to the .next item, so the background color will show through. Here's a quick modification of the example Bootstrap carousel to fade to white:

CSS code:
.carousel-inner > .item {
  -webkit-transition: 0.6s ease-in-out opacity;
     -moz-transition: 0.6s ease-in-out opacity;
       -o-transition: 0.6s ease-in-out opacity;
          transition: 0.6s ease-in-out opacity;
}

.carousel-inner > .active {
  opacity: 1;
}

.carousel-inner > .next {
  transition-delay: 1s;
}

.carousel-inner > .next,
.carousel-inner > .prev,
.carousel-inner > .next.left,
.carousel-inner > .prev.right,
.carousel-inner > .active.left,
.carousel-inner > .active.right {
}

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!
So I'm using Bourbon Neat, and everything is going great, except for one thing. So I've got a container class, and that has the "@include outer-container" in it and everything. The issue is that I want to make a div at the top of the page that just fills the whole screen, so I have this class:

code:
div.top {
  display: block;
  background-color: #F0F0F0;
  height: 250px;
}
and then in the html, I have, outside the container div a div with that class, yet it won't fill up the edges of the screen. It's like it's still obeying the grid, even though it's outside of the container class. Any ideas?

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

ambushsabre posted:

... and then in the html, I have, outside the container div a div with that class, yet it won't fill up the edges of the screen. It's like it's still obeying the grid, even though it's outside of the container class. Any ideas?

Two possibilities.

1. Are you using a CSS reset or normalize? If not the default padding and margin settings may be messing with your design.

2. Check out http://neat.bourbon.io/examples/ and inspect the first example. You will notice a div with the class 'zero' which, I think, does exactly what you want.

Unless you can provide more code it's hard to be more specific.

Oh My Science fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 12, 2013

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

Oh My Science posted:

Two possibilities.

1. Are you using a CSS reset or normalize? If not the default padding and margin settings may be messing with your design.

2. Check out http://neat.bourbon.io/examples/ and inspect the first example. You will notice a div with the class 'zero' which, I think, does exactly what you want.

Unless you can provide more code it's hard to be more specific.

Adding normalize.css fixed it right up. I was banging my head against the wall for a while there, so many thanks my duder.

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."

Depressing Box posted:

CSS code:
}

A lot of this is redundant now:

Firefox dropped the prefix 6 versions back, Chrome 4 versions back, Opera a couple of versions ago (and in the new 15).

http://caniuse.com/css-transitions

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Depressing Box posted:

What you're looking for is transition-delay applied to the .next item, so the background color will show through. Here's a quick modification of the example Bootstrap carousel to fade to white:

CSS code:
}

.carousel-inner > .active {
  opacity: 1;
}

.carousel-inner > .next {
  transition-delay: 1s;
}

.carousel-inner > .next,
.carousel-inner > .prev,
.carousel-inner > .next.left,
.carousel-inner > .prev.right,
.carousel-inner > .active.left,
.carousel-inner > .active.right {
}

This was awesome and did what I wanted!

But then my boss came down and said since transitions do not work with IE8 or 9 I had to code my own little jquery thing. :(

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

This was awesome and did what I wanted!

But then my boss came down and said since transitions do not work with IE8 or 9 I had to code my own little jquery thing. :(

Use Modernizr and apply the jQuery thing only for browers not supporting CSS transitions.

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009
I'm looking at transitioning an existing website over to another server. There are some concerns that the server may not have the capacity to handle the traffic to this website.

The website is for a yearly event. It's traffic normally would not be a concern at all, but around the time of the event it can spike to around 700,000 hits in a day.

What would be the best way to test the capacity of the server to make sure it could handle the load? It's a dedicated LAMP server if that helps at all.

Thanks!

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Fuoco posted:

I'm looking at transitioning an existing website over to another server. There are some concerns that the server may not have the capacity to handle the traffic to this website.

The website is for a yearly event. It's traffic normally would not be a concern at all, but around the time of the event it can spike to around 700,000 hits in a day.

What would be the best way to test the capacity of the server to make sure it could handle the load? It's a dedicated LAMP server if that helps at all.

Thanks!

Are you hosting static pages?

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009

b0red posted:

Are you hosting static pages?

No, I'll be using Wordpress as a CMS.

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013

Fuoco posted:

No, I'll be using Wordpress as a CMS.

If you haven't already, you should really take a look at the server-side caching plugins available for WP, that will vastly reduce the amount of stress on the server caused by massive affluence.

Most plugins will store a plain HTML file based on the rendering done by the first visitor to a page, and serve that cached version to following visitors, instead of requesting Database over and over again.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Fuoco posted:

Use WP Super Cache for sure. Consider putting your heavy files (images, pdfs, etc) on a CDN. Go with a host that has the ability to upgrade ram / bandwidth on the fly.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I'm working on a responsive site with Foundation as my base. Anyone know why a table would be off center in a mobile browser if it's set to margin: 0 auto? It shows up fine at mobile size on desktop Chrome, but it's off center in iOS Safari and Chrome. It's really driving me crazy, especially since my images are all centered.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

cheese eats mouse posted:

I'm working on a responsive site with Foundation as my base. Anyone know why a table would be off center in a mobile browser if it's set to margin: 0 auto? It shows up fine at mobile size on desktop Chrome, but it's off center in iOS Safari and Chrome. It's really driving me crazy, especially since my images are all centered.

If you have a mac, use remote console otherwise, uh...

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Lumpy posted:

If you have a mac, use remote console otherwise, uh...

Yea it shows up centered in remote console and off center in iOS Safari. I'm so confused. I'm testing on iOS Safari 5.1 though, but I thought they were all standards complaint from the get go?

Ah I'm getting developer tools mixed up with that.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 16, 2013

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

cheese eats mouse posted:

Yea it shows up centered in remote console and off center in iOS Safari. I'm so confused.

Post some code and/or the site itself? Hard to know what the problem is otherwise.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Setting it to display block works (and I know it isn't really right), but the content extends outside the table. The box-sizing is set to border-box. loving tables.

It was a font-size issue. Too much content broke the table.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 16, 2013

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I'm currently looking at ways to visualize the forum's polling feature on a mobile phone. My problem is a mix of the polling options usually being quite long and the display being rather small. My best bet is probably writing my own little thing but I thought I'd ask here first if there's a neat little library for it.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
If I revoke a SSL cert, no one uses our https address anyways, will it break the site completely?

Flaggy fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 17, 2013

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
Has anyone else pissed off family before? My brother wants to to make his website for free because "It would be good for your portfolio" and I told him to gently caress off.

He just bought a giant 55" TV too.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Oh My Science posted:

Has anyone else pissed off family before? My brother wants to to make his website for free because "It would be good for your portfolio" and I told him to gently caress off.

There's only one thing that will cause a bigger rift between you and your family than telling them to gently caress off for spec work: Agreeing to do work for your family. Paid or not.

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013

Oh My Science posted:

I made a website for my seedy step-brother's granite company. Best logo I've ever done as well. We worked it out to be literally 20% of my rate, and a ten page website with a full design and custom quoting system ended up being $1500. He paid me $200, then did some seedy poo poo on his partners, and I never got the rest. I am no longer speaking to him. I kept the website up, and it was the top result for "{my city's name} granite", and I crunched the numbers of the quotes, as I had them sending to my email. Assuming he did all of them, he'd have made a cool million in revenue in under a year.

So, yeah, family doesn't exist in the business world as far as I am concerned. I recommend you take the same approach.

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009

Skiant posted:

If you haven't already, you should really take a look at the server-side caching plugins available for WP, that will vastly reduce the amount of stress on the server caused by massive affluence.

Most plugins will store a plain HTML file based on the rendering done by the first visitor to a page, and serve that cached version to following visitors, instead of requesting Database over and over again.

kedo posted:

Use WP Super Cache for sure. Consider putting your heavy files (images, pdfs, etc) on a CDN. Go with a host that has the ability to upgrade ram / bandwidth on the fly.

Thanks. WP Super Cache sounds great, and ideal for our purposes considering the site won't be updating so frequently. I also have the ability to store static files on a separate CDN so that also should help a lot.

Talking to the hosting providers today they seemed quietly confident, so I should be good from here on. :)

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."

Winter is Cuming posted:

...So, yeah, family doesn't exist in the business world as far as I am concerned. I recommend you take the same approach.

There's also the bizarre knock-on effects that family members will assume are your fault:

'Ever since you built me that website, my copy of Word stopped doing bullet points! Fix it!'

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Yea I get approached with stuff like this

quote:

Hey.. Are you doing websites on your own? If so, what do you charge to design a site? It's a florist and will need an online store.

I can't just throw you out a number without knowing the details and scope. I replied:

quote:

Depends on their budget, do they need a design, would they like it to be responsive, do they want to be able to update it on their own? Here is my #

Still haven't gotten that phone call. I live in KY and some rural florist I expect to be a cheap client. I'll pass them over to freelance for Yum! instead.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Oh My Science posted:

My policy is to never work for family unless the project meets all of the following requirements:

A) My family member stands to make no money (eg. I did a wedding invitation once and a simple website for a non-profit another time)
B) I have complete creative freedom
C) I can do it on my own timeline

People usually fail on A, and if they don't, B or C will get 'em. I never do design work for family if money is involved, period. Your brother sounds like he's just being cheap. What's his project?

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

kedo posted:

My policy is to never work for family unless the project meets all of the following requirements:

He has begun live streaming the games he plays with twitch and would like to have a dedicated website. Before we reached the payment discussion I tried to evaluate the scope of the project and what he was expecting. Let's just say it would require a decent amount of time and resources on my end.

So, if we use your requirements:

A. He could possibly make money, but doesn't have the viewers yet.
B. Although he has no idea what he actually wants it to look like, my rough ideas were not to his liking.
C. He wants it done within 4 weeks.

He fails every one of them.

Before he left the discussion I was pretty blunt. If he was serious about this project and it is what he wanted / needed to make his streaming more successful, he would have to invest more than his vague ideas. Without a monetary commitment on his part he could very well abandon the project at anytime without loss.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Everyone bookmark this for the next time a client asks for one:

http://shouldiuseacarousel.com/

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Oh My Science posted:

He fails every one of them.

Before he left the discussion I was pretty blunt. If he was serious about this project and it is what he wanted / needed to make his streaming more successful, he would have to invest more than his vague ideas. Without a monetary commitment on his part he could very well abandon the project at anytime without loss.

Yeah, sounds like you probably did the right thing though it still sucks I'm sure. That just sounds like a "oh this might be cool but I haven't thought about it in any detail" type project, and those never go well.

If you want to patch things up with him maybe find a nice free WordPress theme with good customization options? With Jetpack video embedding is brainlessly simple, so you could potentially give him that as a starting point to see if he can actually do anything with it. That'd only take like ~30 minutes to set up including buying a domain / setting up hosting / etc.

It's not like there's a ton of money in game streaming anyways (as far as I know).

Lumpy posted:

Everyone bookmark this for the next time a client asks for one:

http://shouldiuseacarousel.com/

I'm not sure if it's intentional or not, but the carousel on that site is fast enough that I couldn't finish reading half the quotes. Are they just being meta? I don't know! :psyduck:

\/ \/ :doh:

kedo fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 17, 2013

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think if you hover it stops moving.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

kedo posted:

It's not like there's a ton of money in game streaming anyways (as far as I know).

You may be surprised by how much is available. Not saying it is a billion dollar a year enterprise or anything, but there are a fair number of people making a living by having people watch them play videogames.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

kedo posted:

I'm not sure if it's intentional or not, but the carousel on that site is fast enough that I couldn't finish reading half the quotes. Are they just being meta? I don't know! :psyduck:

I want to believe so. Makes it even better.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Another CodeIgniter question. It's a simple to-do list app, and I have pages for viewing tasks, editing a task, and creating a task.

Is it acceptable practice to have each of these pages have their own function within the controller for displaying them? They each require somewhat unique coding, and for example the view page has no need for all code used in forms on the editing and creating pages.

I know the tutorial shows just having a single "view" function for displaying multiple pages regardless of the content, but all those pages are pretty much the same format and nothing unique about them other than the content being displayed.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

kedo posted:

I took it as intentional because it was always just faster than I read the text then at the end it asks "Frustrated?" which didn't follow the point they were making in the text slides.