Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heskie
Aug 10, 2002

kedo posted:

I'm a hair's breadth from dropping IE 8 support as well.

I've only recently dropped IE7, and it still makes me feel uneasy. I was late to drop IE6 support too.

Do you know any trustworthy sources that'd help me ease my guilt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Heskie posted:

I've only recently dropped IE7, and it still makes me feel uneasy. I was late to drop IE6 support too.

Do you know any trustworthy sources that'd help me ease my guilt?

To be honest, I mostly look at the analytics I have access to. I do a lot of work in the same industries / regions, so I'm able to generalize from one project to another. Thankfully most of my clients are marketing to pretty savvy, metropolitan folks who tend to have relatively modern browsers. For example, on one site I'm working on all versions of IE make up 10% of total traffic. IE 8 is 4%. Barely worth supporting imo.

However it looks like worldwide IE 8 still has about 9.3% of the market (varies depending on which stat agency you look at). I'd say a year from now I'll probably drop support, maybe sooner if Chrome continues to gobble up as much of the market as it has been recently.

kedo fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 18, 2013

Heskie
Aug 10, 2002
Yeah that makes sense. I wouldn't mind so much if debugging IE7/8 in my VM wasn't such a pain.

A lot of my work is within the fashion industry and my analytics suggests its very Safari/Chrome heavy, but unfortunately I still have to support IE7 on some projects for China. Its kind of rubbed off on me and makes me feel uneasy dropping it on other projects. I felt the same way when I dropped IE6 about a year ago, and is something I need to get over.

Knowing that IE7 doesn't even get mentioned in StatCounter's chart eases my mind a lot, thanks for the link.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
We finally dropped IE7 a few weeks ago and I can't be more happy.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
I work in the lodging industry, specifically in arranging travel. Surprisingly, a lot of hotels still use fax machines as a major source of communication - even the big chains like Choice. We own some hotels too, and I know for a fact that some of them use IE6 because I get the odd unhandled excpetion in my email from the (4 year old!) web apps I built for them.

I'm in the middle of rearchitecting our main "get reservations assigned, booked, and billed out" app. It's actually a pretty gigantic WinForms/ADOld.NET application, and we're making a web application to replace it. We can put all of our employees on Chrome, but our customers (who are often low-tech trucking and utility companies) and the hotels we deal with would also need access.

The great thing about the web is that you don't need to lock those users out and tell them to gently caress off in most cases. As far as I can tell, progressive enhancement is still relevant. Build a core experience that gets the job done. Then, bring in as many fancy JS modules as you need. It might look janky and be lame in old browsers, but it will work. The kinds of users who are still on IE7 don't give a gently caress so long as they can do what they need without having to download a whole new browser. That's just good web development though - I could be just as well be advocating for blind users. Knowing your audience is #1.

glompix fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 18, 2013

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010
Our site:
IE8 27.91%
IE7 14.64%
Chrome 10.55%
:suicide:

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

Kumquat posted:

Our site:
IE8 27.91%
IE7 14.64%
Chrome 10.55%

One of my clients sites...

Safari - 42.17%
Android Browser - 17.27
Chrome - 16.87%
IE 6 - 14.68%

Really???

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013

thegasman2000 posted:

One of my clients sites...

Safari - 42.17%
Android Browser - 17.27
Chrome - 16.87%
IE 6 - 14.68%

Really???

No, not really. IE6 is the agent reported by crawling bots. The web, at this point, is loving unusable with IE6.

I'm of the opinion that if Google drops IE8 support, I do too. I'll generally throw in selectivizr and modernizr for posterity's sake, but I don't bother testing it anymore, and I make hotel websites. IE8 requires a steep fee for me to support, at this point.

Nebulon Gate fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 18, 2013

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Kumquat posted:

Our site:
IE8 27.91%
IE7 14.64%
Chrome 10.55%

Jesus, what is this site? Some sort of tobacco wholesaler in the deep south or something?

I've been working on a bunch of academic publishing sites recently and I have to say I loooooove scientists. They have such nice browsers :allears:

Chrome - 32.6%
Safari - 28%
Firefox - 24%
gte IE 8 - 9%
lt IE 8 - .9%

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010
We provide a service to healthcare organizations. :smith:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I'll throw my recommendation in for Mimosa.

It's a quick way to get a dev environment up with live-reload, coffeescript, microtemplating engine, css pre-processor, require.js, linting, express, etc. without having to configure a bunch of crap. I use it at work.

Heskie
Aug 10, 2002

glompix posted:

As far as I can tell, progressive enhancement is still relevant. Build a core experience that gets the job done. Then, bring in as many fancy JS modules as you need. It might look janky and be lame in old browsers, but it will work. The kinds of users who are still on IE7 don't give a gently caress so long as they can do what they need without having to download a whole new browser. That's just good web development though - I could be just as well be advocating for blind users. Knowing your audience is #1.

I whole heartedly agree with this, but trying to explain it not just to the clients, but even people within the agency is like hitting my head against a brick wall. No Mr Designer, SIFR is not a valid workaround in 2013 and those buttons don't absolutely need rounded corners in IE7. :argh:

A lot of it has to do with it being the fashion industry I guess, and its all about being pixel perfect. I've found form over function to be very common and often problematic. Until IE7/8 dies a horrible death or I manage to teach everyone at the agency about progressive enhancement this will continue to be an issue.

akadajet posted:

I'll throw my recommendation in for Mimosa.

This looks useful, thanks for the link.

Bastard
Jul 13, 2001

We are each responsible for our own destiny.
I hate making HTML mails. I have always hated them. I will always hate them. I hate the clients that request them. I hate the project managers that approve them. I hate the designers who make them. I hate the 1001 email clients that have a 1002 ways to render the HTML. I will crush the designer's hand that created that dropshadow effect around the rounded corner with overlaying ribbon. I will spit acid in the face of the project manager who said it could be done in an hour and then went home for the day. I will burn down the client's agency building, and bask in the glory of their eternal screams.

I am a webdeveloper who had a lovely day, and this is my creed.

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013
Those of you who DO use Laravel, should I write a book, what would be some good topics to cover?

Bastard posted:

I hate making HTML mails. I have always hated them. I will always hate them. I hate the clients that request them. I hate the project managers that approve them. I hate the designers who make them. I hate the 1001 email clients that have a 1002 ways to render the HTML. I will crush the designer's hand that created that dropshadow effect around the rounded corner with overlaying ribbon. I will spit acid in the face of the project manager who said it could be done in an hour and then went home for the day. I will burn down the client's agency building, and bask in the glory of their eternal screams.

I am a webdeveloper who had a lovely day, and this is my creed.

Goood, goood. Anyone who doesn't use Mailchimp's et al. predefined HTML mails deserves to die in a loving fire.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
Anyone use PHPMailer?

https://github.com/Synchro/PHPMailer

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Yep, it has existed for ages and is probably the easiest PHP mailing system in existence. It's also pretty extensible, and since it's been around for so long you can find a hundred gillion tutorials on ways to tweak it.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

kedo posted:

Yep, it has existed for ages and is probably the easiest PHP mailing system in existence. It's also pretty extensible, and since it's been around for so long you can find a hundred gillion tutorials on ways to tweak it.

Yeah it looks good. About to start using PHPMailer across multiple sites for my company, and this PDO wrapper as well: https://github.com/mikehenrty/thin-pdo-wrapper

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Does anyone have any experience with mediaboxAdvanced and have anything good or bad to say about it? Are there any alternatives?

I've got a lot of links to various types of video files and I'm looking for the easiest way to reliably play them. Most of them are urls directly to video files, but it'd be nice to be able to do embeds from places like youtube and Vimeo with it as well.

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013

Thermopyle posted:

Does anyone have any experience with mediaboxAdvanced and have anything good or bad to say about it? Are there any alternatives?

I've got a lot of links to various types of video files and I'm looking for the easiest way to reliably play them. Most of them are urls directly to video files, but it'd be nice to be able to do embeds from places like youtube and Vimeo with it as well.

Personally, I'd be doing a combo of FancyBox integrated with jPlayer via AJAX.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Unfortunately, it looks like jplayer only supports HTML5 video types. A good chunk of the videos I'd like to serve are .mov (QuickTime) files and other non-HTML5 video types.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Hey guys, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I found this javascript library thing that interests me quite a bit. It's called Hyperlapse, and it is good at creating time lapse movies with movement from Google Street View.
Here's an example video, it's pretty impressive.

https://vimeo.com/63653873

I have pretty much zero coding abilities. I briefly did html web design chopup work with tables in the mid 2000's, but that's as far as it goes.

The code for it is up on https://github.com/TeehanLax/Hyperlapse.js . What i'm hoping to do is make a few videos of my hometown. (I sometimes miss it)
How hard is it to get something like this running? Is it out of my reach?

I'm on OSX, but do have access to Windows 7 if that matters.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

the_lion posted:

Is it out of my reach?

Probably, considering

the_lion posted:

I have pretty much zero coding abilities. I briefly did html web design chopup work with tables in the mid 2000's, but that's as far as it goes.

Looking at some of their samples there doesn't seem to be anything terribly complex going on (though it's a really novel concept... drat Teehan + Lax for always making such great stuff), but if you have zero coding abilities, it'll probably end up being an exercise in frustration. Getting it into a video format is going to be the most difficult part as it's not doing that by default... it's all just HTML and JS. You'll have to use capture software, or maybe somehow batch download all the images it grabs or something.

I might try the Goons for Hire thread.

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013

the_lion posted:

Hey guys, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I found this javascript library thing that interests me quite a bit. It's called Hyperlapse, and it is good at creating time lapse movies with movement from Google Street View.
Here's an example video, it's pretty impressive.

https://vimeo.com/63653873

The code for it is up on https://github.com/TeehanLax/Hyperlapse.js . What i'm hoping to do is make a few videos of my hometown. (I sometimes miss it)
How hard is it to get something like this running? Is it out of my reach?

I'm on OSX, but do have access to Windows 7 if that matters.

There's a front end for it.

http://hyperlapse.tllabs.io/

Map your route, and when you want to record (you're gonna have to use some type of screen capture software) and remove the controls, type this in the address bar:

code:
javascript: jQuery('.overlay, #logos, #controls').css('display', 'none');
to undo this, type:

code:
javascript: jQuery('.overlay, #logos, #controls').css('display', 'block');

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Thanks guys.

kedo posted:

Probably, considering

Looking at some of their samples there doesn't seem to be anything terribly complex going on (though it's a really novel concept... drat Teehan + Lax for always making such great stuff), but if you have zero coding abilities, it'll probably end up being an exercise in frustration. Getting it into a video format is going to be the most difficult part as it's not doing that by default... it's all just HTML and JS. You'll have to use capture software, or maybe somehow batch download all the images it grabs or something.

I might try the Goons for Hire thread.

The video capture part is the easiest bit, i've got capture software. Fair call about lack of coding experience, I might hit someone up in that thread if I get stuck.

Winter is Cuming posted:

There's a front end for it.

http://hyperlapse.tllabs.io/

Map your route, and when you want to record (you're gonna have to use some type of screen capture software) and remove the controls, type this in the address bar:

code:
javascript: jQuery('.overlay, #logos, #controls').css('display', 'none');
to undo this, type:

code:
javascript: jQuery('.overlay, #logos, #controls').css('display', 'block');

The front end is really only good at short distances, I may just stitch a few short bits together and see if I get away with it. That code definitely helps, thanks a heap!

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Anybody here has managed to have d3.js happily work with IE8? Have you needed anything more than aight.js to make the magic happen?

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Can anyone recommend a good mobile UI framework? As in, something better/faster/smaller than jQuery-mobile?

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

The Insect Court posted:

Can anyone recommend a good mobile UI framework? As in, something better/faster/smaller than jQuery-mobile?

If you do not require the native app look & feel try bootstrap / gumby / foundation.

Are there any specific features you want?

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Oh My Science posted:

If you do not require the native app look & feel try bootstrap / gumby / foundation.

Are there any specific features you want?

I was thinking something meant more as a full on framework for building web and hybrid app UIs, rather than just CSS. So, layouts, some basic widgets, device awareness, etc. Sencha Touch looks interesting, but I hear it's got similar performance problems.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
I am having some problems with deploying a new site in wordpress. Its been working fine on FF, Chrome, but when it comes to IE it gets all sorts of errors. I had it running in IE8 and it worked fine but some customers report problems in IE.

Your Skill Level: Low (learning)
Any necessary project requirements: Using Wordpress
Include source code whenever possible:Some screen shots from when I went to validate the site.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

None of those items would cause problems in IE... those are just relatively minor validation errors. Validating can sometimes help you spot problems for browser rendering inconsistencies, but rarely. You'll need to actually view the site in IE to spot the issues. Also when people report problems ask them for screen shots so you know what to look for.

I'd imagine your issues are probably CSS related. Post some code and/or a link to the site if you can?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kedo posted:

None of those items would cause problems in IE... those are just relatively minor validation errors. Validating can sometimes help you spot problems for browser rendering inconsistencies, but rarely. You'll need to actually view the site in IE to spot the issues. Also when people report problems ask them for screen shots so you know what to look for.

I'd imagine your issues are probably CSS related. Post some code and/or a link to the site if you can?

Sure, its vbssys.com.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Well there are some minor rendering inconsistencies (for example the light gray gradient below the carousel on the homepage), but otherwise in IE 8+ it's fine.

In IE7 you have lots and lots of Javascript errors that interrupt page loading and prevent the carousel or any other JS from running. You need to troubleshoot that (sorry I can't be more specific, don't have time to dig into it right now). Do you have a computer with IE 7 you can test on and/or do you need to code for IE7? If less than 1% or so of your users are on it, you could potentially ignore it.

Also anti-alias that ugly type. :)

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kedo posted:

Well there are some minor rendering inconsistencies (for example the light gray gradient below the carousel on the homepage), but otherwise in IE 8+ it's fine.

In IE7 you have lots and lots of Javascript errors that interrupt page loading and prevent the carousel or any other JS from running. You need to troubleshoot that (sorry I can't be more specific, don't have time to dig into it right now). Do you have a computer with IE 7 you can test on and/or do you need to code for IE7? If less than 1% or so of your users are on it, you could potentially ignore it.

Also anti-alias that ugly type. :)

I have no idea how to troubleshoot that at all, I am assuming Googling the problem will be fine? I don't have a computer with IE 7 on it to test with. Thanks for the heads up, if you do want to dig into it let me know, I can pay for whatever help you give.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Flaggy posted:

I have no idea how to troubleshoot that at all, I am assuming Googling the problem will be fine? I don't have a computer with IE 7 on it to test with. Thanks for the heads up, if you do want to dig into it let me know, I can pay for whatever help you give.

Hit up the Goons for Hire thread, I'll bet you can find someone to fix that really easily. I'd help you it but I just don't have the time at the moment, sorry! It might be some good experience if you want to figure it out for yourself, however debugging stuff in older versions of IE sucks due to a lack of built in developer tools. So it might be better to shell out a few bucks to get help from someone who's already gone through all that frustration rather than going through it yourself. :)

But if you're going to be doing a more development in the future I'd highly, highly recommend figuring out a way to test in multiple versions of IE. There are some good options in the OP for pretty much every operating system.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kedo posted:

Hit up the Goons for Hire thread, I'll bet you can find someone to fix that really easily. I'd help you it but I just don't have the time at the moment, sorry! It might be some good experience if you want to figure it out for yourself, however debugging stuff in older versions of IE sucks due to a lack of built in developer tools. So it might be better to shell out a few bucks to get help from someone who's already gone through all that frustration rather than going through it yourself. :)

But if you're going to be doing a more development in the future I'd highly, highly recommend figuring out a way to test in multiple versions of IE. There are some good options in the OP for pretty much every operating system.

Cool, I really appreciate you pointing me in the right direction though. Thanks!

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013

Flaggy posted:

Cool, I really appreciate you pointing me in the right direction though. Thanks!

I've sent you a message.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Here's a question for you guys: let's say that *hypothetically* I might have not realized I really should have supported IE8 from the get-go on my site and I'm now stuck with a very modern IE10/FF/Chrome-friendly HTML5 site. I'd love to figure out how to make it compatible with IE8 as well. It's my understanding that there are a bunch of hacks out there that might fix a lot of the issues in one single step, like including a comprehensive backwards compatibility shim etc.

What would be such libraries that would make this possible? I know absolutely nothing about IE8 compat and would love a tip or two.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

DreadCthulhu posted:

Here's a question for you guys: let's say that *hypothetically* I might have not realized I really should have supported IE8 from the get-go on my site and I'm now stuck with a very modern IE10/FF/Chrome-friendly HTML5 site. I'd love to figure out how to make it compatible with IE8 as well. It's my understanding that there are a bunch of hacks out there that might fix a lot of the issues in one single step, like including a comprehensive backwards compatibility shim etc.

What would be such libraries that would make this possible? I know absolutely nothing about IE8 compat and would love a tip or two.

https://code.google.com/p/html5shiv/

That's pretty much all you need. Certain really complex stuff (like canvas animation) might not work so well, but the shiv will fix the majority of HTML5 fanciness.

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013
So, I figured out you can make a working column grid without needing margins by using text-align: justify. Anyone interested?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Winter is Cuming posted:

So, I figured out you can make a working column grid without needing margins by using text-align: justify. Anyone interested?

Huh? Yes.