Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
There is no way to style the options in a select box in Android/iOS, right? I can't find any definitive documentation from Google/Apple
code:
<select>
 <option value="foo">Foo</option>
 <option value="bar" style="color:red">Bar</option>
 <option value="baz" style="font-weight:bold">Baz</option>
</select>
All those look the same on mobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

The Merkinman posted:

There is no way to style the options in a select box in Android/iOS, right? I can't find any definitive documentation from Google/Apple
code:
<select>
</select>

On Android options are displayed in an overlay of the system ui, so probably not.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

The Merkinman posted:

code:
<select>
</select>

e: didn't read your question closely enough, no I think you're stuck.

Macaw is pretty snazzy... watching that video now. I'm unsure if I'd actually use the code it generates for production, but for comps it looks pretty amazing.

kedo fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 24, 2013

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

spacebard posted:

If you're planning on making it public, then I would organize it semantically. Maybe with the Movie schema?

Maybe have a main trailer (hero class?) and then some related ones underneath as an aside.

Oh My Science posted:

I think there are two things that stand out most to me.

1. You cant click on the entire row to expand the content, I found myself being stupid on an iPad having to click the link.

2. The expanded content looks out of place inside the .well, having a different color background than the title looks awkward. You also need more white space.

I played around with bootstrap on codepen and came up with http://cdpn.io/rfgdJ. It addresses both issues. Please note the mock up is incredibly rough and that you may want to refine how I nested the rows if you choose to do something similar.

Thanks guys. That'll help me get my creative juices unstuck.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Winter is Cuming posted:

http://macaw.co/peek/

So this is loving impressive.

The beginning of the end of my job if it actually works as advertised. I guess I can always learn and go full stack. :gbsmith:

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

gmq posted:

The beginning of the end of my job if it actually works as advertised. I guess I can always learn and go full stack. :gbsmith:

One of our designers has been messing with Edge Reflow, Adobe's similar new tool. It seems like the code it can generate could save us a ton of time, but there's no way what it generates will be able to be used without a human fixing quirks intelligently and hooking it up to a CMS.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

gmq posted:

Good news: nobody has been able to make a WYSWIG editor that works as advertised, and a lot of people have thrown lots and lots of time and money at the problem. Obviously we have to wait and see, but there's so many corner cases and oddities for developing something other than single-pages that while this might be a great tool for helping get a base layout up and running, I wouldn't get all depressed just yet.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

gmq posted:

That looks pretty amazing!

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

cbirdsong posted:

One of our designers has been messing with Edge Reflow, Adobe's similar new tool. It seems like the code it can generate could save us a ton of time, but there's no way what it generates will be able to be used without a human fixing quirks intelligently and hooking it up to a CMS.

This is what Adobe is moving towards, buying everything month to month and not being able to pay just one price for software. I hate it.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Lumpy posted:

Good news: nobody has been able to make a WYSWIG editor that works as advertised, and a lot of people have thrown lots and lots of time and money at the problem. Obviously we have to wait and see, but there's so many corner cases and oddities for developing something other than single-pages that while this might be a great tool for helping get a base layout up and running, I wouldn't get all depressed just yet.

Yeah, I was mostly exaggerating. But I do think that markup is one of the easiest 'problem' related to webdev and sooner or later someone is going to code something able to produce 'perfect' or at least serviceable code.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Yeah that Macaw thing looks pretty amazing.

What was the name of that software that set up some kind of virtual web server really easily? I feel like the word 'up' was involved somehow.

Alternatively: what's the easiest / simplest way for me to set up everything necessary to run Wordpress on an old Ubuntu laptop so that I can do some theme development stuff locally?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

fuf posted:

Yeah that Macaw thing looks pretty amazing.

What was the name of that software that set up some kind of virtual web server really easily? I feel like the word 'up' was involved somehow.

Alternatively: what's the easiest / simplest way for me to set up everything necessary to run Wordpress on an old Ubuntu laptop so that I can do some theme development stuff locally?

https://www.google.com/search?q=set+up+wordpress+on+ubuntu

basically make sure you lave a LAMP stack installed: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ApacheMySQLPHP
Then install wordpress: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WordPress

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

fuf posted:

http://www.vagrantup.com/

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Thanks both.

Vagrantup looks pretty cool, but it's not quite what I remembered.

Anyway installing apache / mysql / php was easy so I'm all set. :)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Flaggy posted:

This is what Adobe is moving towards, buying everything month to month and not being able to pay just one price for software. I hate it.

If you do the math of when upgrades were released and what an upgrade usually costs, it's actually cheaper month to month. They're no longer planning major versions you have to upgrade to anymore; they release features when they're done.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

Flaggy posted:

I've been a creative cloud user for about a year now and it's the bee's knees. I no longer have to worry about out dated adobe software, and I was able to use my old product key for a discount.

Plus I have access to everything, and some of the preview apps they are working on are cool. Once they release typekit functionality on the desktop it will be even better.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Oh My Science posted:

I've been a creative cloud user for about a year now and it's the bee's knees. I no longer have to worry about out dated adobe software, and I was able to use my old product key for a discount.

Plus I have access to everything, and some of the preview apps they are working on are cool. Once they release typekit functionality on the desktop it will be even better.

What 95% of people who complain about Creative Cloud mean (and I'm not implying Flaggy is one of this group) is "Awwwwww crap. I might have to start paying for Adobe software now... "

I haven't used it yet (I use Sketch.app now for 99.99999% of my design work) but if the pricing seems steep to some, just add a month of it to your bill per project as a line item "Adobe Cloud Access... $X.xx"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Suspicious Dish posted:

If you do the math of when upgrades were released and what an upgrade usually costs, it's actually cheaper month to month. They're no longer planning major versions you have to upgrade to anymore; they release features when they're done.
This only holds true though when you assume you're buying every upgrade. The ~100 user company I work for can't get an enterprise discount and our upgrade cycle was every two-three years. Our quotes for Cloud licensing for a year have been significantly higher than what we've spent on individual upgrades that lasted us two.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Lumpy posted:

What 95% of people who complain about Creative Cloud mean (and I'm not implying Flaggy is one of this group) is "Awwwwww crap. I might have to start paying for Adobe software now... "

I haven't used it yet (I use Sketch.app now for 99.99999% of my design work) but if the pricing seems steep to some, just add a month of it to your bill per project as a line item "Adobe Cloud Access... $X.xx"

I use Adobe products at work and we do pay for ours, but our boss is of the mindset that if its month to month we are getting ripped off. He is one of those people who likes the feel of a tangible product in his hands. Of course he is well over 50 so that might have something to do with it as well. I mean we still use CS5.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

CC is a ripoff if you like to A) own the software you pay for and B) skip versions. Otherwise it's fine. iirc they're eventually hoping to do away with selling stand alone versions at all, which a lot of people hate for various/obvious reasons.

Anywho. My whole studio uses the Creative Cloud and it's a-okay. Too bad the pricing sucks.

e: Also I took great pleasure in ripping Adobe a new rear end in a top hat in the satisfaction survey they sent around a few weeks ago. I'm sure my words pierced the heart of some Adobe executive somewhere... "My god, this kedo fellow called our business practices abhorrent. He's so right, how can I continue living this lie?"

Yep. That's totally what happened. I'm sure of it. :shepface:

kedo fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 24, 2013

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

kedo posted:

e: Also I took great pleasure in ripping Adobe a new rear end in a top hat in the satisfaction survey they sent around a few weeks ago. I'm sure my words pierced the heart of some Adobe executive somewhere... "My god, this kedo fellow called our business practices abhorrent. He's so right, how can I continue living this lie?"

Yep. That's totally what happened. I'm sure of it. :shepface:

I bet he'll have that quote custom stitched into the leather on his new Ferrari to remind him how terrible he feels.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Macaw looks amazing, but I doubt we'll ever get a 100% perfect WYSIWYG editor, ever. Even thought I'm loving it's abstract, Photoshop-layers palette-style approach, I wonder how well it would handle a non-traditional layout.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
It's time to talk about email campaign services! I have used Mailchimp in the past and really liked it, why would I pick someone else?

vv That's what I thought. I was looking into SendGrid but unless someone can outright tell me they are better I'll stick with mailchimp.

Oh My Science fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 25, 2013

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Oh My Science posted:

It's time to talk about email campaign services! I have used Mailchimp in the past and really liked it, why would I pick someone else?

You wouldn't. They're hands down the best in the industry in pretty much every way.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, we use mailchimp here and it's loving awesome to work with.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, we use mailchimp here and it's loving awesome to work with.

I'm just a light campaign monitor user here, found their interface a lot better than Mailchimps, but that was before the redesign. How're you finding the new setup?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I'm still working my way through this, but here's another good read (so far!) on typography: http://practicaltypography.com/

You can send the 'Typography in 10 minutes' page to clients!

haakman
May 5, 2011
Hello again,

In my first faltering steps into web development I have stumbled across something which I can't get my head around. I'm trying to learn jQuery and Javascript in general, via codeacademy, and say I have code like the below:

quote:

$(document).ready(function() {
$(firstbox).fadeOut(1000);
});

there is a ) at the end. There is no corresponding ( anywhere above it. Why does this work? Is this intended? Is it just a quirk of the language that it needs to be there?

Sorry, I expect my question is very, very basic, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

haakman posted:

there is a ) at the end. There is no corresponding ( anywhere above it. Why does this work? Is this intended? Is it just a quirk of the language that it needs to be there?

code:
});
Right after .ready

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

haakman posted:

Hello again,

In my first faltering steps into web development I have stumbled across something which I can't get my head around. I'm trying to learn jQuery and Javascript in general, via codeacademy, and say I have code like the below:

Sorry, I expect my question is very, very basic, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Your code formatted differently:

code:
$(document).ready(
    function() {
    }
);
\/\/ It's OK. We're idiots too.

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 26, 2013

haakman
May 5, 2011
I am an idiot. Thank you guys.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

haakman posted:

I am an idiot. Thank you guys.

Welcome to the wonderful world of coding! Where a single misplaced bracket will break everything on a site.

Protip: When you actually start working on projects, do stuff like this and you will save yourself so many headaches down the road:

JavaScript code:
}); // $(document).ready(function() {
It might seem silly or unnecessary, but when you have a couple hundred lines of code in between a simple comment like that can be a life saver.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

haakman posted:

More advanced text editors will show you where beginning and ending braces, parenthesis, etc are located in your code. The current darling is Sublime Text.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Right so here is a question...

I just got an entry level job for a web development company debugging clients systems. I have no idea what I am doing. So far I have come across a few techniques and I am wondering if goons know any I should look into.

So far techniques I have used include real time trace logging, ?showXml=1, and a couple tools; WinSCP to browse and edit live code with notepad++ and mRemote to handle many connections.

Are there any tips/techniques you guys find invaluable? Any articles or books I should read?

If this generates much response I'll start a thread.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Lumpy posted:

I'm still working my way through this, but here's another good read (so far!) on typography: http://practicaltypography.com/

This site hurts my eyes. Also, the links are invisible.

Please don't treat the internet like a book, even if you really, really want to.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Lumpy posted:

quote:

The fastest, eas­i­est, and most vis­i­ble im­prove­ment you can make to your ty­pog­ra­phy is to ig­nore the fonts that came free with your com­put­er (known as sys­tem fonts) and buy a pro­fes­sion­al font (like those found in font recommendations).

This is useless for web design, right? I have a pretty flimsy grasp of how fonts work but I always thought they came from the user side?

(I know this guide / book isn't just for web design stuff)

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

fuf posted:

This is useless for web design, right? I have a pretty flimsy grasp of how fonts work but I always thought they came from the user side?

(I know this guide / book isn't just for web design stuff)

This used to be the case for the longest time, but since we now live in the future, font embedding is actually supported quite well.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Mr. Wynand posted:

This used to be the case for the longest time, but since we now live in the future, font embedding is actually supported quite well.

Embedding works but it often ends up looking pretty poor. Loads of jagged edges and other poo poo, and you usually have to implement some really stupid hacks to 'fix' them up.

e; Or just sit around being like 'oh well, guess my fonts are going to look like the dude who cut the blocks had the shakes.'

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Web fonts work great if you don't have to worry about anyone with Windows XP ever trying to use your site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I'm trying to use JavaScript to pull in reddit submissions.

Using this works fine and pulls in the submissions, but it responds as though no one is logged in and uses the default subreddits:

code:
$.getJSON("http://www.reddit.com/hot/.json?jsonp=?", function(data) {
	$.each(data.data.children, function(i,item){
		$('#images').append(item.data.title + '<br><br>');
	});
});
If I just point my browser to http://www.reddit.com/hot/.json then it responds but including my default subreddits. When my code above runs (it's on a remote server, not my local machine) does it request it through the server it's hosted on or through my own connection?

I have almost no idea what I'm doing. Anyone have suggestions in how to make my code above pull in items as though I'm logged in? I've been looking around trying to figure out how to use the reddit API with JavaScript and have found nothing. I would guess logging in through the API first would fix it? No idea.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 26, 2013