Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Thermopyle posted:

I'm more looking for some ideas on how to organize some information and less looking for critiques, so maybe this should go here instead of the super (un)popular critique thread?

This is just early stages of a toy site I made and on which I was really just concerned with writing the backend, but currently I'm kinda stumped with how to organize the info that appears when you click any of the movie titles. Right now I have it all just kinda dumped in a Bootstrap well, but I'm not married to that idea.

I just don't really have any ideas about how else to display it, and it looks kinda blah as is.

Any ideas or sources of inspiration that you think would match up with the type of info I'm trying to display?

If you're planning on making it public, then I would organize it semantically. Maybe with the Movie schema?

Maybe have a main trailer (hero class?) and then some related ones underneath as an aside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Disharmony posted:

Can someone point out what's wrong with my page? The logo is suppose to be just a few spaces away from the text.

http://pipnee.com/P8357B1CA

Strangely, it displays correctly on my laptop but here at the desktop, the logo is far away almost to the center of the page. On the iPad it's worst off with the text overlapping on the logo but I guess that's a given how small the screen is.

I just got back into coding this one time in a long time so I'm pretty sure there's something I missed and hopefully you guys would be able to help me out.

Using % is going to cause this to be fluid so that as the browser width changes the spacing will change. You can specify fixed width and inline to do this.

Fiddle

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Lumpy posted:

If Drupal is doing something like using the same salt for every password, it may not be that smart, and then the answer would likely be "nobody would be able to log in except new accounts."

This. Drupal is behind the curve (maybe able to swap in bcrypt/PHP 5.5).

wwb posted:

Corollary question is "what happens when we add one to a running instance?"

There is a module called mass_pwreset, which will reset all passwords and send one-time login links, but you should remove that as it's a risk to keep it installed. Also look into using password_policy module.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

ufarn posted:

Have to use Drupal for a project, but don't have the time to read a book on it. What is non-awful resource for picking up the basics - for a simple blog-like site - in a short while?

Google doesn't show anything, and the hits are from a time where the United States hadn't had a black president.

If it's a simple blog-like site, then it should not be painful. For site building, Drupal 7 Explained. The Drupal Planet RSS feed also has blog posts. Simplytest.me is great for trying out modules. For theming, find a resource dedicated to a base theme you want to build off - Omega, Adaptive, or Zen.

Also, download & install drush.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

v1nce posted:

Just to re-iterate my point about Vagrant speeds; this should be fine if you're using NFS to link the dev VM (Ubuntu under VirtualBox on Windows) to the test environment VM (Ubuntu under Virtualbox on Windows). Just don't host the source your project on windows and execute it from the VM using a shared folder, especially if there's a lot of file access going on, because it's dog slow.

My advice would be to bash something together very quickly for one dev, and see how they get on to ensure the performance is OK before you spend days configuring all the environments just-so.

Vagrant 1.5 introduced rsync support (and much improved in 1.6), which is a good alternative to NFS on Windows. You need to be handy with Cygwin though. I prefer to work this way because all my dev tools are on my host machine and different from other developers' tools. Although I think most people stick with NFS still.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

IE11 and Safari don't support this yet so the only sure fire way is to some server-side handling. I ran into this making an app to play videos and offer a download link.

I think what I'm going to do is add an endpoint to my Restful service that delivers the file as a download for IE and Safari.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Pivo posted:

Hehe you guys call them hashes. Way to overload that word! I thought they were 'anchors'. But yes I'll try that too.

If you're really nerdy you refer to it as the URL fragment. :smug:

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

caiman posted:

Do any of you use Grunt for deployment? I just came across grunt-ftp-deploy. There's also a grunt-sftp-deploy .

I use grunt-rsync to deploy applications configured with -rtlDPvzc --delete. I had some problems with the -a flag.

So I usually do a custom grunt build task (which would run tests, compass, concat/copy) and then grunt deploy:hostname. Hopefully one of these days I'll have a build server for my client so those commands are just run by jenkins or whatever to deploy an application and its heavy content.

Client is pretty invested in Grunt at the moment, but Gulp is pretty sweet.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

kedo posted:

Welp. I suppose you could try doing something like this, but I don't have experience with it so :shrug:

That's what I would do. You could probably bake it into a build process to change the date to build time or change it just prior to committing and tagging?

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

ufarn posted:

Is <main> a canonical element, or is it still tentative? I don't see it in the majority of the official documentation, so just wondering whether I should stick with my <section role="main">.

It's in the specification: http://www.w3.org/TR/html/grouping-content.html#the-main-element

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Vintersorg posted:

Im having trouble with a few things like the Calendar (https://www.drupal.org/project/calendar) and breadcrumbs. I have no idea where I can set these (ideally it would be whatever page im declaring the top menu). Diving into the PHP seems fruitless too.

If there is anywhere someone can point me in regards of either learning this system a bit better or even helpers with the calendar thing I would appreciate it.

I'm not sure what you mean by "set these" with regard to Calendar or breadcrumbs. That means a lot of things to me. A breadcrumb-hating theme developer may have removed the code that renders breadcrumbs entirely in the theme. Setting breadcrumbs might mean changing what breadcrumbs map to from their routes (menu router).

That all said if the route or path to the calendar falls under a hierarchy, then breadcrumbs should be automagically generated (path_breadcrumbs, breadcrumb_manager, and menu_breadcrumbs is one option for changing breadcrumb behavior). But who knows what's going on under the covers in the theme, in views, or in custom modules.

My long term advice is to figure out how the site was "built" to see what practices/methodologies the previous site builder used as Drupal is an open ended site building tool/framework/CMS.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Kobayashi posted:

Is there a Google term for replacing something like $VERSION in source documents, then running a build step that replaces that the actual current version in the output? In this case, I'm talking about Node and using the version in package.json as the canonical version number.

I think the term is "banner", but usually a banner is added at the top of the first file(s). Might need to tack on JavaScript or just search npm for packages.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Karthe posted:

What's the best Angular-centric way of storing an auth token for API calls? I have an API up and running and handling logins, but now I need to write up a service to handle logging in and verifying the token is available. Should I just use plain HTML5 localstorage?

It depends on the browser / device. Local storage is limited on some mobile devices or at 0 on a site with and unsigned cert (say for a test environment).

I think it's fine to store it in local storage. Or have the app also set a cookie on the login service and then all other requests should have that cookie set until it expires.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Munkeymon posted:

H.264 encode in an MP4 container has the best cross-browser support right now if you're dead set on just making one file, but it's fairly trivial to also include a webm container to scoop up the last few percent of potential visitors.

Comedy option: SVG is fairly well supported too.

I still need to learn how to do things in SVG rather than CSS animation fuckery. It's a lot of math I don't want to think about though.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

v1nce posted:

What you don't need to test really depends on the framework and the language. Seeing as you're just starting, it's unlikely you'll get to a point where you're wondering "do I need to test that?" because there's going to be complex stuff all over the shop you want to build tests for, and there aren't enough hours in the day.
That said, one of the usual "why would I test that?" items is getters/setters on objects, for which I usually don't bother in application code. The exception to that rule is if it's reusable code - because so much will rely on it - or if the getter/setter manipulates data, or handles various types.

I like to start with a coverage report and look at the complexity/major gaps. So basically any function or method with lots of logic, which could also lead to being broken down later anyway.

For JavaScript I recently found Plato for generating coverage reports. It isn't as good as Junit or phpunit in my opinion, but worked well enough to identify what code to write tests for first.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Karthe posted:

What's a good way to "capture" a static copy of a generated Angular page? I need to submit some markup for a Chromium bug I found but unfortunately I discovered it while developing an internal SPA. Ideally I'd just make an account for them to log in with but I only want Chromium admins to know the credentials and I don't really think bugtrackers are designed for that. I'm hoping it's possible to take a moment-in-time snapshot of the page and send it to them so they can experiment with the markup.

A headless web browser like phantomjs would do it. With angular or another front end framework, you need to make sure the page has completely loaded. There's a simple phantom crawler that should work for a spa: webcrawler.js . There is a node package for it now called js-crawler but I haven't used that. grunt-crawl seems to support angular but requires an attribute on the body element.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Data Graham posted:

I mean I'm on a retina Mac too, and also just checked it on an iPhone, and the spinners are wobbling around like they're drunk. I'm sure it's not just me :confused:

E: at least the CPU railing was only because I had the devtools open.

e2: confirmed on Safari, Chrome, and Firefox

I don't think the font/CSS spinners look great when scaled up, but they look fine and perform well enough otherwise. The fa-pulse class helps the wobbling.

I like font awesome because I'm lazy. Custom designed SVG animations are :effort:

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

The Merkinman posted:

I have been trying to use localstorage (or sessionstorage) to store the contents of a JSON and no matter what I look up or try it doesn't return anything, or maybe null, or maybe undefined :bang:

I just want to run a function that uses a JSON object, first checks if it's localstorage, if it is, great, use it, if not go to the url via .ajax and save it, then use it, yes I know I need to stringify the contents.

Are you in private browsing mode? I think that disables local (or maybe session storage). Some devices also limit how much you can store.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Scaramouche posted:

Is there like a site to test accessibility compatibility like W3C validator or something? I haven't really thought about it

The university of Illinois has a accessibility check and guidelines page that I find useful: http://fae20.cita.illinois.edu

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~
^^^^ Even database locks if you have enough writes per second :v:

pipebomb posted:

I am doing a stupid 'counter' thing wherein if someone submits a form, they go to a 'thanks' page. When the thanks page loads, it increments a text file (civcount.txt) by means of including a php include (civcount.php). Then the first page has a message that says 'join <include civcount.txt> other signers'.

In closing, what the everloving gently caress? God knows I can use a database but this is on a 50 year old drupal 6 site and damnit to hell.

Your code won't be executed if you're not logged in and the page output is cached on the 'thanks' page (if it's managed by drupal).

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Love Stole the Day posted:

Does anyone know how I can create a new dictionary extension for Firefox similar to Rikaichan's https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/rikaichan-jpen/ JPN-ENG dictionary add-on? I don't know where to look to locate the actual thing here so that I can modify it. I want to create a KOR-ENG dictionary extension so that I can use Rikaichan but for Korean.

I think I'm competent enough with JS or whatever language Firefox extensions use here in order to get this done... I just don't know where to look and I was hoping someone in this thread would know what direction I need to go in. You don't have to write an effortpost or whatever for me, just an informative link or a file path to where I can find the extension's source code in my hard drive will suffice.

You should be able to find the source code for an add-on in your profile/extensions directory. The xpi file is a zip.

I think you would need to implement a content script to add an event listener on hover. I can't remember how much Mozilla hates content scripts that are set for every page. There's also a context menu module that might be useful for say grabbing a selection of words and passing it over to your script, and then use the panel module to display it. In any case you can start with the Jetpack tool, jpm, on the Getting Started page.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

kedo posted:

Drupal is a crate dropped off a truck from Paintbrush Supplier Inc. that contains uncut wood, metal banding, rivets and a 100lb bag of mixed horse hair. The supplier also sent his extremely autistic son along to explain how to combine those elements into paintbrushes, but his son spends most of his time ignoring you and debating hair texture with himself off in a corner. Ultimately, with a lot of effort you can probably make exactly the type of paintbrush you need for the job, but it's a massive time sink considering you didn't set out to make a paintbrush in the first place, you're just trying to paint your garden shed blue for the missus.

This is surprisingly accurate though I disagree with the last bit. In fact there are times with any pre-built system such as Embraco, Tritium, Drupal, Wordpress, etc... that you're getting paintbrushes and you really want that unique paintbrush because client said so and won't loving budge.

On the other hand working on a team doing a JS front end with C# backend I'm amazed at how lucky I am when using any CMS. Things that I don't really have to think about - forms, routing, restful web services are all semi-major tasks and heap onto the custom code base. What I like about Drupal specifically is that it lets me focus on some heavier development for when I need it and I can get an awesome blue garden shed in less time. What I dislike about Drupal is that it feels like I'm the only one who knows what the gently caress they're doing, and that leads to quite a few terrible experiences with it. Oh, that and composer support is weird, but I checked out Laravel recently and it's pretty weird in that regard too.

Of course I can blame myself for some things because I have quite a few core commits. :v:

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

kedo posted:

but it would have taken me thirty seconds to figure this out instead of a half hour if I could actually just print the field's contents onto the page in an array/object format. dump() is supposed to do this, but I get a WSOD whenever I use it which is incredibly frustrating.

Any help? Pleeeease?

dump() should work but kint() will work better (install devel module). You're probably running out of memory.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Sleepy Robot posted:

Critique thread in CC is archived, I hope it's ok to ask for design advice here instead.
It accepts a use input list of genres, and a distance from the user's location
and it returns a list of venues (or bands) that match that genre and distance.

So this below is the search feature with some user input:

What main design changes should I make?

I think if the genre input is probably going to be the most heavily used. Maybe make it bigger with larger font inside. Maybe use an autocomplete/tagging style system that shows what you've autocompleted below the search box. Or a library like Chosen to turn a select list. Not sure if Chosen would work here though.

I think that the radius and date inputs don't seem to be aligned well both text and in position.

The palette seems to not correspond to anything. Have you look at what your primary color (#c65758) matches or contrasts with on a color wheel? The blackish color doesn't really seem to work in my opinion, and isn't anywhere near a secondary color for your primary color. I don't think it works at all for flat buttons and inputs on a color background like that. Does the entire set of form inputs need a background at all? A lighter background could work with some highlighting in the primary color or using a darkened version of the primary color as the text color.

I have no idea why the arrows on the side are supposed to indicate. Am I swiping left or right for something like a slideshow? Am I sliding to reveal other functionality?

Overall, it looks like functional like a developer's prototype, but it's busy despite the flat design. A flat design should work for a page like this to highlight the primary action, search, so I think that's alright.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Grump posted:

How often do you guys use Git Fetch?

Every time, but I don’t like being thrust into conflict resolution either via rebase or merge :butt:

Grump posted:

I'm still in the process of learning the differences between Git Pull and Git Fetch and it seems like the only real difference is that you can review merge changes before you merge them with Git Fetch, correct?

Yes. Also useful if you have a fork or have multiple remotes you’re fetching from.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

fuf posted:

Just mentioned this in the wordpress thread but I thought I'd ask here because it's just dawning on me how much work it might be.

Does anyone have any good resources on the new GDPR legislation that comes into effect next month? Has there been much discussion in this or other threads?

I mean if I just host basic brochure style sites that don't have "users" but which do use google analytics and have a contact form etc. what do I need to do exactly? A cookie consent process I can get my head around, but I have no idea about contact forms. If a contact form just sends all the entered data out in an email and doesn't actually store it anywhere on the backend, does it still need to get some kind of explicit consent from the person entering it?

It's pretty confusing and some of it sounds pretty extreme - I can't even store server logs any more?

I’ve been discussing with EU companies about theirs preparations for a while as well as internally. It is pretty vague but all of them mention that intent and taking “reasonable steps” counts. Whatever that means. :argh:

The strategy I’ve taken at work is

1. Document and analyze how you store and use personal data. This will also help you answer any data requests.
2. Work on the opt-in process for web forms and making sure your GA stuff applies. You need to keep logs to confirm right to be forgotten.

Also remember that any legal requirements you have for personal data override right to be forgotten or information requests. This may apply to your server logs but IANAL and that’s not legal advice.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

darthbob88 posted:

Stupid CSS question: Is there a way to set styling on "if this element, or any of its subelements, have/lose focus", analogous to the way :hover works? My boss is insisting that we make the UI react the same to tab-navigation as to mousing around, and that's the problem. At present I'm considering A) Explaining to him that this isn't entirely viable, or B) Using jQuery or something to toggle a class for "this-element-has-focus". I suspect B is the better answer, but want to confirm.

Is there some reason why :focus or :focus-within selectors don't work for what you want to do?

Like this https://codepen.io/anon/pen/mKPryR

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

rt4 posted:

I'm building a REST-backed web application. I have API endpoints that can provide all the data interactions I need to make it run, but on the first load of each page I'd prefer to load a whole set of data on a single request. For example, instead of making a request to /dealership to get the name of the dealership and /cars to get a list of cars, I'm thinking a single request to /page/cars could provide the data for both of those on initial pageload.

Does this idiom already exist? Is there a name for it?

Yes, "relationships".

JSON API: http://jsonapi.org/format/#document-resource-object-relationships
JSON LD: https://json-ld.org/spec/latest/json-ld-api-best-practices/#resource-representation (Nested Relationships)

Probably something similar for HAL or JSON Schema or GraphQL.

I think there are advantages to either nesting the data as a duplicate (easier to pull out / model in the front end) or save space and set some collection of dealerships that are referenced by some id property for each car in a traditional Rest API endpoint.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

karma_coma posted:

I think this is the best thread for my question ~

I have an elastic search server that I run with an endpoint that is exposed only to my local computer and my web server via nginx configuration files.

I got javascript APM working last night (badass btw) and I kind of want to go crazy with it (tags / timespans / adding the OIDC user to usercontext) ... but will having a JS app hitting my endpoint that is protected only 'deny all' (exccept 2 IPs) the way i should proceed with this?

I don't know what the deal with x-pack is right now - they just changed the name and it's now open source or something, i can't quite find a straight answer.

I hope the c# apm agent is done soon.

My set up is Vue.JS SPA -> API Gateway -> APIs (c# .net core 2.2) and it works great in production right now.

From what I remember, Elasticsearch is pretty wide-open if you have access to it, right? Is the APM side of it on port 8200 any different?

What I did for ES was to have a back end endpoint that made the request itself from the web server so I could keep the nginx IP restrictions. If APM is just open on a single port, then opening up that one thing should be OK. But hopefully there's some kind of flood protection.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~
What Scaramouche wrote is correct, in the US there's no certification for whether you pass or fail, but there are companies that will provide an audit and report about how accessible the site is for :10bux:. The report goes through the perceivable, operable and understandable standards with a checkmark or N/A or what not, but usually those companies are happy to offer mitigation services as well for :20bux:.

Ideal testing should include

- Automated testing for color contrast and simple Web-Aria controls and HTML markup.
- Manual testing by actual screen reader users on Windows and MacOS.

Doing the last bit yourself is tricky because only real users know how to best use those tools. For instance, using the modifier keys like "h" and "b" to cycle through headings and buttons rather than just using tab or arrow navigation, or whether the screen reader is being too verbose. If the site is too verbose it becomes more of a burden for screen reader users.

You can learn a lot by giving it a run through in NVDA though, and probably enough to say it's compliant and list the functionality of the site and how it's compliant, but anything more than that you'll want to pay screen reader users to test it.

I've been doing a lot of mitigation recently with drag and drop abominations where the design is almost inherently opposed to making it usable by both keyboard, mouse and touch users. :bang: Really the only solution for drag and drop is using aria-haspopup + aria-controls and role=dialog to popup a menu and swap focus.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

The Dave posted:

Just because you have drag and drop doesn't mean that it has to be the only interaction method on the page. There are plenty of times where dragging and dropping is the most painless UX decision, you just design it with manual fallbacks.

Yep.

It also sucks when the original UX design requires playing 1 or 2 audio sequences in succession either on drag, click (ffff), drop or all of the above. Educational "games" :psyduck:

I weep for the students.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

oot posted:

What all do I need to know in order to make a web page with a background, a frame in the center with text you can scroll through, and auto-playing music that browsers won't block automatically?

Present a modal with a button. Click butan, play lovely midi.

If they're on Safari, then you can play all the things you want after that first click :devil:
If they're on old Edge, then don't try to preload more than 125 audio elements at once. :eng99:

Null of Undefined posted:

Please don't auto play music. No one wants it ever, regardless of the usecase.

No one wants to play a game without ambient sound effects that aren't triggered by a specific mouse gesture?

There are use cases, and there was a better way to implement autoplay. Browser pops up a thing sort of like the Location API. It wouldn't be hideable, but a site could make a request to play "rich media". This would be sort of like above, but not a deviant gently caress you browsers work around.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Dominoes posted:

Looking for technical feedback on site design / usability, speed/responsiveness, and if the project sounds worthwhile. Search is dominated by big players; the about section describes why I added to the field.

No design comments, but some functional issues, mainly for accessibility.

The Privacy Policy and Terms pages doesn't seem like it's supposed to render header elements and paragraph elements in a row without wrapping due to all div elements being flex containers.

The mailto link will cause that email address to be harvested instantly.

Your site fails basic Section 508 accessibility, and that could become a liability. Input and button elements should have labels (or an equivalent).

If someone is using a screen reader, then they may be using heading navigation, which might be annoying to have "Heading Level 4, h t t p colon slash slash" as they navigate the heading. I think both the page URL could be described differently or maybe immediately following the description. Maybe put the URL last since I noticed it can be truncated for length. It's a little easier as a visual and cognitive user to parse that the URL is there to show the search matches, but that might not be obvious.

Having a skip to main navigation link for screen reader users will help those users to skip to the search results after a search instead of having to navigate down passed the form. It's not too bad at the moment but something to keep in mind.

Focus outlines on the emoji and image button look weird and cut off, but focus outlines are important so don't get rid of them.

The font-family verdana and a user's preferred sans-serif could lead to drastic differences between how one person sees the site compared to another. You might not care since there isn't anything fancy going on design-wise.

If the primary functionality is search, make the input element larger and increase the font size of text in the input element to make it even more prominent.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

kedo posted:

Can anyone recommend a favorite JS/SVG animation framework (specifically anything that might include handy functions for scroll-based animation)? I have a project coming up where the client wants an illustration that starts off in one state, and then as the user scrolls through the page it animates and goes through three or four different animation states (zooming/changing colors/etc).

Last time I did any major animation work I used https://greensock.com/, is it still a reasonable choice?

It probably depends on the commercial usage of the site and whether you're paying for it. It's probably still the most reasonable choice if you're comfortable with it. @svgdotjs/svg.js is a much more low-level SVG manipulation library, but it's fast and under the MIT license. It doesn't use the Flash-based concepts like “tween” so it definitely has a jump in complexity conceptually.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

fuf posted:

spam email was maybe too strong but you know, one of those "dear sir we have found vulnerabilities on your website" emails.

There's a link to the login page of one of their internal systems, so I guess it would be bad if that link got ~clickjacked~, but seems very unlikely.

But yeah I guess I'll just add
code:
X-Frame-Options: deny
?

Is it gonna break any legitimate uses? This is a standard WordPress site.

It'll only break if your WordPress site loads itself in an iframe at some point.

I think Content-Security Policy (csp) headers are the contemporary way to do this rather than X-Frame-Options. It's not deprecated, but made obsolete. CSP headers are a bit more complicated because you need to figure out where everything loads from scripts, styles, images, video/audio, frames, downloads, etc... rather than only for X-Frame-Options. Not having CSP will probably get the site flagged by automated audits.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

kiwid posted:

via JavaScript approach with absolute positioned anchors. It's probably an accessibility nightmare but it does work well on both desktop and mobile with touch support and pinch to zoom.

Nicely done. Thanks for the update.

I don't think anchors would be much of an accessibility nightmare unlike images embedded in a canvas element. Just need to describe the elements properly, and let the user use keyboard nav / tab equivalent. And it would be possible to add map controls that use the increment the various scroll properties.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

The Merkinman posted:

There's a Codepen. You can see that the Zeta list is behind the #rest for some reason. I don't understand what is determining the width of #lists, and therefore #rest.

What if you changed #container display to grid, then add grid-column: 1 to ul#lists and grid-column: 2 to #rest?

That would make the list and rest always be in two columns, and list will flow horizontally as it gets larger since the grid is only 1 row so the height: var(--height) styles can be removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

The Merkinman posted:

If the height is gone, what is determining the height?

I think that's the combination of the container width and the columns style on #lists.