Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I'm creating a new website for a business I've created. It's been about 15 years since I've touched anything directly in regards to creating a website and there's a lot of information out there which is a bit overwhelming. I just want to have a dynamic page set up at abcxyz.com (have someone else desgining) and then a shopify storefront at abcxyz.com/shop (which I've already created) but right now nothing is pointing anywhere relevant.

I have the domain purchased through IONOS, a shopify account and have been looking at using AWS for the rest but the domain management settings are confusing.

To get my domain set up in AWS it's asking me to "configure the following CNAME record associated with your domain and verify that the CNAME record exists in your Domain Name Server (DNS) file". Do I do this on Ionos's side in their DNS settings page? I can see some CNAME records as "_domainconnect" and "autodiscover" but I don't know what I'm meant to change. Do I delete this and add in the CNAME record from AWS? I then want to make sure my shopify page points to the right place but most of that seems to suggest moving my domain over to Shopify itself which doesn't sound like what I want to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

kedo posted:

Don't use AWS. Sure it's a great service, but you do not sound like the target audience – it's intended to be used by devs/IT and is not easy to set up or configure if you don't do this sort of thing all the time.

With the way you've described this:

You want your homepage and your storefront on the same server since they both share the same domain and the shop is just in a subdirectory. Shopify can handle non-shopping-related pages, so I don't see any reason why you and your designer couldn't just use Shopify for everything, I've certainly done so in the past. Having a single domain name point to two different servers (AWS for one page, Shopify for everything else) is technically very complicated to achieve.

If you go this route you can just follow Shopify's directions for everything, and if you're confused about DNS records you can ask their tech support for help. They work with astoundingly non-technical people all the time, so they should be able to help out.

That answered a bunch of my questions so thanks. I just thought AWS was fairly ubiquitous in the industry so was the default. Didn't realise Shopify could host other pages too.