Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I'm a CS student with no web design experience. I've been volunteering with a local 501(c)(3) and at some point before I graduate I would like to roll out a new website for them. Does the thread have any recommendations on the best resources for teaching myself how to do this or advice before I commit myself to a project like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Scaramouche posted:

Do you mean "design" in the sense of aesthetics, graphics, readability, photoshop, css, etc. or in the sense of "I've never touched HTML/PHP/ASP" (e.g. because your degree is entirely in ASM/Objective C and compiler optimization)? Because if it's the former, you can do a lot with Wordpress and a freebie theme. The theme kind of handles basic layout issues that you can just slap a logo onto and insert images into. Or hell, use Drupal/Django/etc. if you're feeling salty, though the theme developer audience is less developed.

I mean design in the sense that I've never touched HTLM/PHP/ASP. The closest I've come was database class, but I worked solely on the SQL database and other team members did the PHP front end. Basically I want to start learning website development because it's going to be at least a year before I can take any classes on it. I figured building a new website here would be a good project to focus on but I'm unsure of what to look at to start learning.