Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
I am having some problems with deploying a new site in wordpress. Its been working fine on FF, Chrome, but when it comes to IE it gets all sorts of errors. I had it running in IE8 and it worked fine but some customers report problems in IE.

Your Skill Level: Low (learning)
Any necessary project requirements: Using Wordpress
Include source code whenever possible:Some screen shots from when I went to validate the site.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kedo posted:

None of those items would cause problems in IE... those are just relatively minor validation errors. Validating can sometimes help you spot problems for browser rendering inconsistencies, but rarely. You'll need to actually view the site in IE to spot the issues. Also when people report problems ask them for screen shots so you know what to look for.

I'd imagine your issues are probably CSS related. Post some code and/or a link to the site if you can?

Sure, its vbssys.com.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kedo posted:

Well there are some minor rendering inconsistencies (for example the light gray gradient below the carousel on the homepage), but otherwise in IE 8+ it's fine.

In IE7 you have lots and lots of Javascript errors that interrupt page loading and prevent the carousel or any other JS from running. You need to troubleshoot that (sorry I can't be more specific, don't have time to dig into it right now). Do you have a computer with IE 7 you can test on and/or do you need to code for IE7? If less than 1% or so of your users are on it, you could potentially ignore it.

Also anti-alias that ugly type. :)

I have no idea how to troubleshoot that at all, I am assuming Googling the problem will be fine? I don't have a computer with IE 7 on it to test with. Thanks for the heads up, if you do want to dig into it let me know, I can pay for whatever help you give.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kedo posted:

Hit up the Goons for Hire thread, I'll bet you can find someone to fix that really easily. I'd help you it but I just don't have the time at the moment, sorry! It might be some good experience if you want to figure it out for yourself, however debugging stuff in older versions of IE sucks due to a lack of built in developer tools. So it might be better to shell out a few bucks to get help from someone who's already gone through all that frustration rather than going through it yourself. :)

But if you're going to be doing a more development in the future I'd highly, highly recommend figuring out a way to test in multiple versions of IE. There are some good options in the OP for pretty much every operating system.

Cool, I really appreciate you pointing me in the right direction though. Thanks!

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kedo posted:

https://code.google.com/p/html5shiv/

That's pretty much all you need. Certain really complex stuff (like canvas animation) might not work so well, but the shiv will fix the majority of HTML5 fanciness.

Would this potentially work for the problems I am having as well? I am assuming by placing it in the <head> section would be in index.php? Or I guess header.php. This is what I have up there currently unless I did it wrong:

Flaggy fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 24, 2013

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kedo posted:

Probably not, unfortunately. The html5shiv makes IE 8- understand HTML 5 elements like <section> or <article> or whatever. Your problems were Javascript errors, which are probably unrelated.

Ah ok, I replied again before I saw this.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If I revoke a SSL cert, no one uses our https address anyways, will it break the site completely?

Flaggy fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 17, 2013

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What is everyone's thoughts on CDNs? Is there one people prefer over others if its worth it?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Amazon's pricing structure seems pretty reasonable, unless I am missing something.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

cbirdsong posted:

One of our designers has been messing with Edge Reflow, Adobe's similar new tool. It seems like the code it can generate could save us a ton of time, but there's no way what it generates will be able to be used without a human fixing quirks intelligently and hooking it up to a CMS.

This is what Adobe is moving towards, buying everything month to month and not being able to pay just one price for software. I hate it.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lumpy posted:

What 95% of people who complain about Creative Cloud mean (and I'm not implying Flaggy is one of this group) is "Awwwwww crap. I might have to start paying for Adobe software now... "

I haven't used it yet (I use Sketch.app now for 99.99999% of my design work) but if the pricing seems steep to some, just add a month of it to your bill per project as a line item "Adobe Cloud Access... $X.xx"

I use Adobe products at work and we do pay for ours, but our boss is of the mindset that if its month to month we are getting ripped off. He is one of those people who likes the feel of a tangible product in his hands. Of course he is well over 50 so that might have something to do with it as well. I mean we still use CS5.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Dumb question time, is there a way to forward multiple olds links to a new one?

Example:

(old) info.example.com/example-blah-blah-blah

We have about 100 of those out there in the wild searches, but we needed them forwarded to just 1 domain. I updated the A (Host) to point to the root of the domain. But when I click on the link in a google search I get a 404 error page. Is there a way to redirect all these without setting up each one that I come across?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kedo posted:

.htaccess redirects on the old domain would do the trick.

pre:
RedirectMatch 301 ^/(.*)$  http://newsite.com/$1
Should redirect all requests to newsite.com/request

Wouldn't I have to put the old site in there ala:
code:
Options +FollowSymlinks 
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^olddomain.com [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ [url]http://newdomain.com/[/url]$1 [L,R=301]

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^[url]www.olddomain.com[/url] [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ [url]http://newdomain.com/[/url]$1 [L,R=301]

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I am probably not being clear (sorry) we had a blog here info.example.com (plus all the / we did, each blog got a page) I want to forward them all to example.com, if your example is right that would be awesome haha, seems like alot less work. That way if someone should come across an old link in google like info.example.com/blog title here it would just redirect to the new website.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kedo posted:

pre:
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^info.example.com$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://example.com/$1 [L,R=301]

Is what mine should look like Im guessing?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Odd sort of occurrence, after switching to a CDN my companies website's images stopped being indexed as much. We have about 1000 images that have been crawled with only 59 showing up in organic search. The alt tags, image names and files names are good but wondering what happened. Didn't know if this was the right place to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Flaggy fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 5, 2014