Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

A good OP.

pokeyman posted:

Re "encourage users on old browsers to use Google Chrome Frame" in an OP, Chrome Frame is done as of January 2014. Might make sense to suggest users update their browsers.

That's too bad, however by January 2014 it'll probably be unnecessary anyways. Currently on most of the sites whose analytics I track .004% of total users are on a version of IE that would necessitate Chrome Frame. So really, who cares anymore? I'm a hair's breadth from dropping IE 8 support as well.

Speaking of browser stats, that might be something good to add to the OP. I can never decide which reporting agency to believe, though Wikipedia's page is a good place to start. I wish Google would just publish aggregated stats again like they used to in the old zeitgeists. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Sereri posted:

If that isn't enough, Android has an emulator in it's sdk, an iPhone Simulator comes with xCode (though that's OSX only I guess).

This is what you want to do for device testing. Xcode is super simple to install and use, though the Android emulator takes a bit more setting up and doing poo poo via the command line. Here's some setup instructions I saved from a random website (wish I could remember which) with instructions:

quote:

Because it’s painful, here’s how I did it on OSX :

1) Download Android SDK

2) Install it
code:
/Android/android-sdk-mac_86
cd /Android/android-sdk-mac_86/tools
3) Setup the Emulator
code:
./android
• A Java app opens
• Click SDK Platform Android 2.1 and download Archive for MacOS X
• Click Virtual Devices and New
• Give a name (AndroidTest), set the target to the SDK you downloaded
• Set Size to 512
• Create the AVD (Android Virtual Device)

4) Run the Emulator
code:
./emulator -avd AndroidTest -partition-size 128
5) Setup the Hosts file
Set the device to read-write
code:
./adb remount
./adb pull /etc/hosts
Edit the hosts with the following
code:
nano hosts
10.0.2.2 localhost
./adb remount
./adb push hosts /system/etc
Congratulations you should now be able to browse the hosts

However I think you can skip 5.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Heskie posted:

I've only recently dropped IE7, and it still makes me feel uneasy. I was late to drop IE6 support too.

Do you know any trustworthy sources that'd help me ease my guilt?

To be honest, I mostly look at the analytics I have access to. I do a lot of work in the same industries / regions, so I'm able to generalize from one project to another. Thankfully most of my clients are marketing to pretty savvy, metropolitan folks who tend to have relatively modern browsers. For example, on one site I'm working on all versions of IE make up 10% of total traffic. IE 8 is 4%. Barely worth supporting imo.

However it looks like worldwide IE 8 still has about 9.3% of the market (varies depending on which stat agency you look at). I'd say a year from now I'll probably drop support, maybe sooner if Chrome continues to gobble up as much of the market as it has been recently.

kedo fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 18, 2013

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Kumquat posted:

Our site:
IE8 27.91%
IE7 14.64%
Chrome 10.55%
:suicide:

Jesus, what is this site? Some sort of tobacco wholesaler in the deep south or something?

I've been working on a bunch of academic publishing sites recently and I have to say I loooooove scientists. They have such nice browsers :allears:

Chrome - 32.6%
Safari - 28%
Firefox - 24%
gte IE 8 - 9%
lt IE 8 - .9%

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Yep, it has existed for ages and is probably the easiest PHP mailing system in existence. It's also pretty extensible, and since it's been around for so long you can find a hundred gillion tutorials on ways to tweak it.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

the_lion posted:

Is it out of my reach?

Probably, considering

the_lion posted:

I have pretty much zero coding abilities. I briefly did html web design chopup work with tables in the mid 2000's, but that's as far as it goes.

Looking at some of their samples there doesn't seem to be anything terribly complex going on (though it's a really novel concept... drat Teehan + Lax for always making such great stuff), but if you have zero coding abilities, it'll probably end up being an exercise in frustration. Getting it into a video format is going to be the most difficult part as it's not doing that by default... it's all just HTML and JS. You'll have to use capture software, or maybe somehow batch download all the images it grabs or something.

I might try the Goons for Hire thread.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

None of those items would cause problems in IE... those are just relatively minor validation errors. Validating can sometimes help you spot problems for browser rendering inconsistencies, but rarely. You'll need to actually view the site in IE to spot the issues. Also when people report problems ask them for screen shots so you know what to look for.

I'd imagine your issues are probably CSS related. Post some code and/or a link to the site if you can?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Well there are some minor rendering inconsistencies (for example the light gray gradient below the carousel on the homepage), but otherwise in IE 8+ it's fine.

In IE7 you have lots and lots of Javascript errors that interrupt page loading and prevent the carousel or any other JS from running. You need to troubleshoot that (sorry I can't be more specific, don't have time to dig into it right now). Do you have a computer with IE 7 you can test on and/or do you need to code for IE7? If less than 1% or so of your users are on it, you could potentially ignore it.

Also anti-alias that ugly type. :)

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Flaggy posted:

I have no idea how to troubleshoot that at all, I am assuming Googling the problem will be fine? I don't have a computer with IE 7 on it to test with. Thanks for the heads up, if you do want to dig into it let me know, I can pay for whatever help you give.

Hit up the Goons for Hire thread, I'll bet you can find someone to fix that really easily. I'd help you it but I just don't have the time at the moment, sorry! It might be some good experience if you want to figure it out for yourself, however debugging stuff in older versions of IE sucks due to a lack of built in developer tools. So it might be better to shell out a few bucks to get help from someone who's already gone through all that frustration rather than going through it yourself. :)

But if you're going to be doing a more development in the future I'd highly, highly recommend figuring out a way to test in multiple versions of IE. There are some good options in the OP for pretty much every operating system.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

DreadCthulhu posted:

Here's a question for you guys: let's say that *hypothetically* I might have not realized I really should have supported IE8 from the get-go on my site and I'm now stuck with a very modern IE10/FF/Chrome-friendly HTML5 site. I'd love to figure out how to make it compatible with IE8 as well. It's my understanding that there are a bunch of hacks out there that might fix a lot of the issues in one single step, like including a comprehensive backwards compatibility shim etc.

What would be such libraries that would make this possible? I know absolutely nothing about IE8 compat and would love a tip or two.

https://code.google.com/p/html5shiv/

That's pretty much all you need. Certain really complex stuff (like canvas animation) might not work so well, but the shiv will fix the majority of HTML5 fanciness.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Winter is Cuming posted:

So, I figured out you can make a working column grid without needing margins by using text-align: justify. Anyone interested?

Huh? Yes.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

DreadCthulhu posted:

Wow, that worked surprisingly well, I didn't even have to modify any CSS to have it look pretty much the same. Thanks a bunch! I think there might be a couple of instances of styling that are a bit odd, but they're not obvious enough that you think it's broken.

Btw, what's the deal with html5shiv vs html5shim? Both projects are up there on google code and both referenced from the github page of html5shiv.

Amusingly enough they cover that on the page. :D

https://code.google.com/p/html5shiv/ posted:

shiv or shim?
Common question: what's the difference between the html5shim and the html5shiv? Answer: nothing, one has an m and one has a v - that's it.

I personally like shiv because :fsn:

e: Also I realize this isn't the right thread but I'm going to sneak this in in an edit b/c I'm not getting poo poo elsewhere: my firm is hiring a kick rear end front-end dev. If you're in or willing to move to the DC area, want the best work environment and don't suck at coding, get in touch with me.

kedo fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 24, 2013

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Flaggy posted:

Would this potentially work for the problems I am having as well? I am assuming by placing it in the <head> section would be in index.php? Or I guess header.php

Probably not, unfortunately. The html5shiv makes IE 8- understand HTML 5 elements like <section> or <article> or whatever. Your problems were Javascript errors, which are probably unrelated.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

enthe0s posted:

So I'm having problems getting video to play in Firefox/Safari on Mac only.

Are you using relative or absolute URLs for your video? There's an old bug in Safari which prevented videos from working if you used a relative URL. Otherwise it sounds like it might be a codec problem.

Can you provide a link?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Alright, I could us some help with redirects because I'm messing crap up.

I have a bunch of WordPress pages with pretty URLs that need to be redirected. One is the main page, and the rest are sub pages. Their URLs look like this:

code:
example.com/parent-section
example.com/parent-section/foo
however they need to redirect to URLs like this:

code:
newsite.com/parent    (note the lack of -section)
newsite.com/foo

My problem is that easy mode redirects mess things up. Example:

code:
Redirect 301 /parent-section ttp://newsite.com/parent
Redirect 301 /parent-section/foo ttp://newsite.com/foo
This works for /parent-section/, but then /parent-section/foo tries to find newsite.com/parent-section/foo instead of newsite.com/foo

I'm sure regular expressions are needed here, but I'm terrible at them. Any help?

e: Goddamn it, the forum keeps inserting url tags into my code. I removed the "h" from http to prevent that from happening.

kedo fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 27, 2013

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Depressing Box posted:

Maybe something like this:
Apache code:
Redirect 301  ^/foo/?$   [url]http://newsite.com/foo[/url]
Redirect 301  ^/foo/bar  [url]http://newsite.com/bar[/url]
The ^ and $ represent the start and end of the url, and force the first rule to only match "oldsite.com/foo" or "oldsite.com/foo/", nothing else.

How many pretty URLs need redirecting? If there are a lot, you'll probably want something more flexible.

EDIT: RedirectMatch may take care of the subpages if the names are the same:
code:
RedirectMatch 301  ^/foo/(.*)$  [url]http://newsite.com/[/url]$1

Hmmm, this:

Apache code:
Redirect 301  ^/foo/?$   [url]http://newsite.com/foo[/url]
Appears to just plain not work. It continues to pull up oldsite.com/foo, which is weird because everything I'm reading agrees with you.

However this:

code:
RedirectMatch 301  ^/foo/(.*)$  [url]http://newsite.com/[/url]$1
works nicely!

So now I just need to figure out a way to get oldsite.com/foo to redirect to newsite.com/foo-bar without redirecting oldsite.com/foo/baz to newsite.com/foo-bar/baz if that makes sense.

e: again, ignore the url tags. I can't figure out how to avoid them :downs:

kedo fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 27, 2013

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Depressing Box posted:

Try this:
Apache code:
RedirectMatch 301  ^/foo/?$   [url]http://newsite.com/foo[/url]

You, sir, are awesome. That did the trick. Thanks so much!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

thegasman2000 posted:

I have a small issue with a new portfolio site I am making in wordpress. It looks fine (ish) but when I look on my phone the sidebar with its position: fixed; left: 0; makes it overlay the content. How can I make it change for the mobile only? Here is the site in question https://www.reidbuck.me

Media queries are your friend!

CSS code:
@media only screen and (max-width: 568px) {
    /* Mobile specific CSS */
}
That will target most mobile devices. Well, technically speaking it's really only targeting by browser size, not device.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

My first PHP project was a cron'd bot that made OAuth tweets, but something broke a few weeks ago... it worked fine while it lasted, though. http://twitter.com/dogsmcgee

Yeah, it was surely the 1.1 API change that broke it. It broke everything Twitter related on a whole slew of sites the internet over, which was amusing. I especially enjoyed the big support thread on the Twitter developer forums with all of the "what, you broke this service you offer for free?! YOU'RE LOSING A CUSTOMER!" replies from idiots.

This could give you a good start on the OAuth portion. Ignore everything else in that repo as it's for getting, not posting tweets.

kedo fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 2, 2013

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I've seen d3.js used on some interesting canvas projects as well, though I haven't used it myself.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Lumpy posted:

You are describing what is known as the "Masonry" layout.

https://www.google.com/search?q=masonry+layout

Good news: many many people have solved this problem for you.

I was thinking the same thing and was going to suggest jQuery Masonry until I saw he needed to span two columns. I'm not aware of a masonry plugin that is capable of that by default...?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I'm working on a website for a business with multiple locations. Mobile users are huge for them, so I'm thinking about making a "find the nearest location" button, but am unsure where exactly to begin. Getting the user's location seems to be pretty simple, but I'm wondering how to go about accomplishing the find function.

Google Maps seems like an obvious choice? Does anyone have a good tutorial or something they could share?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Depressing Box posted:

I don't know if it's a standard, but I've seen (and personally use) names ending in .dev, so api.mysite.com becomes api.mysite.dev. Especially useful when you're testing multiple sites at once, or if the site responds to more than one domain.

EDIT:

Geocoding is probably the other half of what you're trying to do. These might help if you're using PHP:

• Geocoder - To convert addresses/IPs/etc. to coordinates and vice versa.
  • phpgeo - For comparing distances between coordinates.

I'd say geocode the business' locations and store them somewhere, then get the user's coordinates from the geolocation API or a geocoded address and compare them. Also, here's a handy way to compare a user's coordinates to a database directly in MySQL.

phpgeo sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. This place isn't going to open new locations so often that it needs to be super complex... so I think finding the user's coordinates via .getCurrentPosition() and then finding the closest location with a phpgeo call would accomplish what I need.

Thanks much!

e: lol that's pretty much exactly what you said in your last paragraph, but I got lost in the phpgeo repo and didn't read it. :downs:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

The Merkinman posted:

I asked this in the recommend me a tablet thread a while ago and wanted to ask here as well:
Tablets (iOS, preferably Android) still aren't suited for web development are they?

What everyone else said. But if you ever do need to do a little bit of work on a tablet, Diet Coda isn't terrible. It's not quite as robust and customizable as a desktop app, but it works in a pinch. However it is in no way a viable alternative to a real computer as your main development platform.

Speaking of developing on a mobile device... is there such a thing as developer tools in Safari on iOS (or any app, for that matter)? I think the answer is no, but man it makes testing a pain in the rear end when you can't see the code running a bugged element. I once found a little javascript bookmarklet that would let you view source, but it was pretty unreliable.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Scaramouche posted:

Have a weird CSS question for you eggheads. I've got a setup like this:
code:
<body>
  <div class="headerContainer" style="background-image:url(/blah.jpg);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:center 0px;">
    <div class="headerContent" style="background-color:#101010;">
      Stuff
    </div>
  </div>
</body>
My problem is that I would like the background image in headerContainer to be 'on top' of the background color in headerContent, but z-index and !IMPORTANT don't seem to do anything to the sorting. The 'real' solution would be to have the background image inside headerContent, but headerContent is much smaller than the background image, and a background image can't exceed the size of its container. Is there a way to force the headerContainer to sort higher than the headerContent while maintaining this structure? Or am I doomed to having to use an IMG tag instead?

You're trying to achieve the impossible. A parent container cannot have a higher z-index than a child container, full stop. Your best bet would be to put a sibling container in there with headerContent, and apply the background image to it.

For example:

CSS code:
.headerContanier {
  position: relative;
}
.headerContent {
  position: inherit;
  z-index: 1;
  background:#101010;
}
.headerBackground {
  height: 100%; width: 100%;
  position: absolute;
  z-index: 0;
  background-image: url(/blah.jpg) no-repeat center 0px;
}
PHP code:
<body>
  <div class="headerContainer">
    <div class="headerContent">
      Stuff
    </div>
    <div class="headerBackground"></div>
  </div>
</body>
Also, don't use inline CSS. <Picture me bitch slapping you here>

fakedit: does code=html really not have syntax highlighting?

e: gently caress that's not working. HOLD ON.
e2: Yes it is, I had a typo in my jsFiddle.
e3: Speaking of which, here's the fiddle: http://jsfiddle.net/9GtSn/

e4: Wait, you want the background of a parent to be on top of the child? That makes no sense, and my brain failed to process it. Give the background image to the child and give it a set height/width, or use padding to make up the missing px for the background image. Ignore everything I posted above.

e5: In fact, my mind is just boggled. I have no idea what you're trying to achieve. Can you post a screen shot? You and I are probably both making this way harder than it is.

kedo fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 10, 2013

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

haakman posted:

Goons,

I am the only semi-technically literate guy in our office. My boss's browser (IE8) can no longer access our website. Our website is some god awful flash based template. When I try and access on his computer I get the following error message:-

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; GTB7.5; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; InfoPath.1)
Timestamp: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 13:28:54 UTC

Line: 4050
Char: 3
Code: 0
URI: http://www.petercrichton1.webeden.co.uk/_app/28713/en/resources/big.js?tracker=SM.SWFAddress.tracker

Line: 207
Char: 5
URI: http://www.petercrichton1.webeden.co.uk/

Line: 232
Char: 2
URI: http://www.petercrichton1.webeden.co.uk/

I presume it is something to do with JavaScript - any ideas for a fix? The website runs absolutely fine in Chrome and Firefox. I've contacted the company who provide our website and their response was, and this is a direct quote - 'Maybe they should consider upgrading their version of Internet explorer?'

I've literally just started to try and learn web development - this stuff is way above my level.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah those are Javascript errors for sure.

The first error message (line 4050 in http://www.petercrichton1.webeden.co.uk/_app/28713/en/resources/big.js?tracker=SM.SWFAddress.tracker) is the problem – there's something wonky with the syntax of that line that IE doesn't like, and since that line is part of the definition for the SM function, IE then throws two more errors when the page tries to actually use the SM function, because it thinks it's broken. IE's Javascript engine is much more finicky than Chrome or Firefox, which is probably why it's working in those other two browsers.

I'd guess your provider responded like that because A) they didn't write that javascript (it's a third party plugin) and probably have no idea how to fix it, because B) they're clearly lovely at their jobs as that website really sucks. :P

Here's the offending line (4050) of code, again from this js file:

JavaScript code:
},};
The formatting in that document is so atrocious that I'm not going to try to troubleshoot it for you, but I would bet :10bux: that if you removed the comma, it would work. But I could be very wrong.

\/\/ Very yes.

kedo fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 10, 2013

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

haakman posted:

To clarify - the error in JS is totally server side and there's nothing I can do about it? I'm trying to convince the office to move to Chrome, but they are convinced it's evil?

Well, you could try to debug the JS and fix the error, but considering you can't replicate it on any other computer (that page loads with no errors for me in IE 8, btw) it seems likely that it's something unique to his machine. Hard to know what's causing it.

You could try putting IE into compatibility mode (Tools > Compatibility View) but that may or may not solve the problem. Eruonen is right – Firefox is a good alternative to Chrome. Just get him to switch to something other than IE.

e: Wait! I just put IE 8 into compatibility view and got those errors. So disable it on his computer and you should be good (but still, make him switch – IE 8 is old and stupid).

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

haakman posted:

Bingo! This worked - thanks.

To continue my own education... any idea why this worked? Is IE8 in compatibility view extra finicky?

In a nutshell, compatibility view makes IE 8+ act like an older, shittier version of IE. It's a nasty solution for a non-problem... Back in the day lots of websites were coded in a way so that they would only work with a certain version of IE, usually 6. Upgrading to IE 8 would cause these sites to stop working. People got all annoyed, ("I just paid to have this site made and now it doesn't work, wtf Microsoft! :argh:") so instead of taking a strong stance and saying "Get with the time and update your code, schmucks :colbert:" Microsoft caved and created compatibility view.

The problem is that users have no idea what it actually does... they think it's just a magical "fix everything that looks broken on the internet" button, when in reality it just takes their lovely browser and makes it even shittier. And of course once they turn it on, 100% of the time they forget to turn it off.

So your boss was actually using an old and crappy Javascript engine without knowing it.

e: Man, remembering stuff like this really shows how far the web has come in the past five to ten years. Developing a site back then was such a pain in the rear end.

\/\/ Heheh, yup.

kedo fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 11, 2013

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Uziel posted:

Unfortunately for me, we'll be apparently moving a few thousand users to Windows 7 right before XP support expires, so our users will be upgrading to IE8 from IE7! At least we have Chrome Frame...

It is your personal responsibility to upgrade every computer to IE 10. If you do not, you are a bad person. :colbert:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Uziel posted:

I'm an admin on my machine only and upgrades for non-admins will be blocked because it's not "supported" or something. I'm trying to verify but I probably won't know til last minute.

Gah, that kind of poo poo drives me crazy. I worked at a big NGO awhile back and they were stuck on IE 5, if I remember correctly. Why? Because they had some crappy intranet system that "only worked on IE 5" and the head IT dude refused to move to a more modern system.

I am so happy that the best web technologies these days are all browser agnostic. ActiveX was my nemesis for so long...

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Lucid Nonsense posted:

Joomla is also a pretty big player in the CMS systems. I'm using it for developing my employer's site. Well, we paid a web development firm to build the base site, and I'm tweaking it. On their recommendation, we picked Joomla because of easy Magento (ecommerce platform) integration. I noticed last week that the menus on product pages is not the same as the menus for article pages. Turns out the Joomla uses Mootools, which is incompatible with Magento. Guess I'm stuck maintaining two different menu systems for the site now...

Joomla is terrible and you guys/your developers unfortunately made a bad choice. I'm constantly baffled by the number of people that still push it.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Fuoco posted:

What would be the best way to test the capacity of the server to make sure it could handle the load? It's a dedicated LAMP server if that helps at all.

Use WP Super Cache for sure. Consider putting your heavy files (images, pdfs, etc) on a CDN. Go with a host that has the ability to upgrade ram / bandwidth on the fly.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

cheese eats mouse posted:

Yea it shows up centered in remote console and off center in iOS Safari. I'm so confused.

Post some code and/or the site itself? Hard to know what the problem is otherwise.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Oh My Science posted:

Has anyone else pissed off family before? My brother wants to to make his website for free because "It would be good for your portfolio" and I told him to gently caress off.

He just bought a giant 55" TV too.

My policy is to never work for family unless the project meets all of the following requirements:

A) My family member stands to make no money (eg. I did a wedding invitation once and a simple website for a non-profit another time)
B) I have complete creative freedom
C) I can do it on my own timeline

People usually fail on A, and if they don't, B or C will get 'em. I never do design work for family if money is involved, period. Your brother sounds like he's just being cheap. What's his project?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Oh My Science posted:

He fails every one of them.

Before he left the discussion I was pretty blunt. If he was serious about this project and it is what he wanted / needed to make his streaming more successful, he would have to invest more than his vague ideas. Without a monetary commitment on his part he could very well abandon the project at anytime without loss.

Yeah, sounds like you probably did the right thing though it still sucks I'm sure. That just sounds like a "oh this might be cool but I haven't thought about it in any detail" type project, and those never go well.

If you want to patch things up with him maybe find a nice free WordPress theme with good customization options? With Jetpack video embedding is brainlessly simple, so you could potentially give him that as a starting point to see if he can actually do anything with it. That'd only take like ~30 minutes to set up including buying a domain / setting up hosting / etc.

It's not like there's a ton of money in game streaming anyways (as far as I know).

Lumpy posted:

Everyone bookmark this for the next time a client asks for one:

http://shouldiuseacarousel.com/

I'm not sure if it's intentional or not, but the carousel on that site is fast enough that I couldn't finish reading half the quotes. Are they just being meta? I don't know! :psyduck:

\/ \/ :doh:

kedo fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 17, 2013

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

jiggerypokery posted:

Wow what a beautiful op. I just got a job on a graduate scheme for a web development firm, total career change for me. Just out of interest, why no SQL mention? Is this more of a front end thread or may I ask whatever web development related here?

There's actually an entire thread dedicated to SQL, hence the reason why we're not talking about it much here. But you can of course try asking anyways!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Oh My Science posted:

Looks like I get to work with a restaurant to replace their old site, and they want some kind of reservation system. I could make it myself, but I would prefer to use an existing service in order to save time and potential headaches on my end. Anyone have a suggestion? Ideally it would have some sort of API.

If you know of an amazing restaurant website feel free to share, I have a lot of creative freedom on this project. If it helps, it's a traditional indian / tandoori restaurant.

OpenTable and CityEats are the two most popular/widely used reservation systems. Sadly, as far as I'm aware neither have APIs. You just have to embed their little widgets.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Flaggy posted:

What is everyone's thoughts on CDNs? Is there one people prefer over others if its worth it?

Amazon S3 unless you just don't like their pricing structure. It's hard to argue with their infrastructure, no one else really compares. After that, maybe Rackspace.

Oh My Science posted:

I just found seatme.com, looks like a compelling option after reading about their services. Check it out, let me know what you think.

That's pretty nifty, hadn't heard of it before! Looks like the main downside is that it's tied to Apple products and not every restaurant will want to change their entire system over from Micros, which is what probably 90% of restaurants use. However if your client is open to it, I say go for it.

The few restaurant clients we get these days I usually push towards CityEats and it's certainly not a hard sell (mostly due to price). They also just have much nicer widgets.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Flaggy posted:

Amazon's pricing structure seems pretty reasonable, unless I am missing something.

Nah, it's very reasonable. Some people just don't want to pay per GB and would rather have a standard monthly fee. I run into that problem with clients who have strict budgets and an intense desire to control costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

me your dad posted:

Thanks - I can't believe I didn't think to use text-align on the body.

Regarding this problem:

I set #logo img to max-width:100% and it's still exhibiting that behavior when I go from landscape to portait. From portrait view, I go to the site and it looks fine. I rotate to landscape and it looks fine. I rotate back to portait and it seems to ignore the media query, producing what is pictured above. The mobile version doesn't have the wood background or the border, and the body background is set to the slate color.

Sorry to have so many stupid/annoying questions. I'm still pretty new to all this.

#logo has a static width of 450px which is allowing that image to break outside the borders of the design at small sizes.

Do this:

CSS code:
#logo {
  width: auto;
  margin: 0 auto;
  padding: 20px 0;
  text-align: center
}
#logo img {
  max-width: 100%;
}
e: If this isn't quite what you're looking for sorry – I admittedly have not read up on what other folks have been telling you to do :) But this fixes the problem in your screen shot!