Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Nolgthorn posted:

Shouldn't the PR firm be talking to the product owner? Or are you the product owner, in that case it's deffo your job to talk to the PR firm.

Yeah the product owner is our client and they just plain didn’t tell us they were working with a PR firm until we were basically done with the entire project.

We are absolutely going to bill them more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

This sounds like it boils down to personal preference, but if I'm understanding you correctly it sounds like you would want those two events, because even if a 'search' event is triggered, it's also a page view, so both are technically correct.

Usually you'll use events to compare one metric against another, so having this action trigger two events doesn't sound like a problem to me. If you know the person who is going to be actually interacting with and using the analytic data, maybe ask them if they have a preference?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

One of 3 things will happen:

Adobe will kill Adobe XD and rename Figma "Adobe XD"
Adobe will kill Figma and pull some (but not all) of its features into Adobe XD
Adobe will do whatever the gently caress they want with it, and regardless of the quality of their decisions all designers who switched to Figma will go back to using Sketch because they can't be bothered to watch Adobe gently caress up yet another piece of software.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

frogbs posted:

$20b seems like...so much money! What's the market even like for a ui design tool? I feel like it's such a niche thing, that valuation just doesn't compute for me, but honestly, good for them. I hope Adobe does right, it's clearly a thing tons of people love. Don't screw it up!

Unrelated question. I want to setup an automated daily email that just scrapes a page (or could be easily built from a JSON api I could build). Mailchimp can do this, but only on their $11 per month plan. Does anyone know of another email service/api with a free tier that would let me send a super low volume of email from a page scrape, or generate an email from some JSON? This is just a personal project, so it's not worth spending money on, and I don't need it to come from a custom domain or anything.

Sendgrid does this.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Does anyone know what CSS class naming convention this is using? I've never seen it before:

code:
class="LeftNav-button button -red -full"
It's BEM-like, but the "-red" and "-full" sitting there unattached is unfamiliar to me.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Nope, someone literally just typed those into a class attribute.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

It's all over the code so it's definitely not a mistake. The SCSS has a lot of this type of thing:

code:
<div class="FooBar -baz"></div>

.FooBar {
  color: red;

&.-baz {
    color: blue
  }
}
so I know it's intentional at least? :shrug:

ynohtna posted:

It's obviously Kebab CSS.

fakemirage posted:

It reminds me of rscss

I think you two are onto something – it's probably a weird combination of both. I don't hate it? But it's always a bit odd to see a naming convention that someone seemingly invented out of whole cloth.

Thanks for the extra brainpower, goons :cheers:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Are you hot linking images? You can technically hotlink a PHP file that returns an image, eg. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/900207/return-a-php-page-as-an-image Though depending on the site/service where you're hot linking them, they might not allow you to embed a URL ending in .php the same way you might embed a .jpg. But it wouldn't be too hard to integrate an existing PHP stats package and/or roll your own that increments a counter every time a file is called if you're able to go this route.

What's your end goal, how do you want to interact with the tracked data?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

A question for the front-end devs out there – for browser testing purposes, is the MacOS version of Edge close enough to the Windows version that I could just do my Edge testing on MacOS and ignore my Windows environment almost entirely?

I know there are some font rendering differences between Windows and Mac, but as long as the guts of the browser are mostly the same I'm wondering if it makes much of a difference which OS I'm on?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Lumpy posted:

I think I can speak for all Mac users when I say "There's Edge for OS X? Why?"

Oh trust me, I hear you.

minato posted:

I don't know the answer, but even if it was a good enough replacement, how would you know if/when that no longer becomes the case? It may be worth throwing money at a tooling like https://www.browserstack.com/

My company already provides me with a BrowserStack account (which I use), but it's slow/a pain in the rear end to debug things when streaming a browser across the ol' interwebs vs. using a browser on my actual dev machine.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Ah yes... scrollbars. I always forget about those. That's a good enough reason for me to continue using Browserstack.

Dang. Thanks for the brainpower, goons.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Vincent Valentine posted:

It's probably the ideal way for a solo hobby project, honestly. It's good to do that stuff by hand so you can get an idea of how it actually works as you scale it up with automation. And you should definitely implement some form of automation. I've heard really good things about using github actions as a beginner but I can't attest to it personally.

I worked up a full deployment method with Github actions recently and it was a pretty smooth process. Granted I have yet to implement it, but in theory and in tests it worked very nicely and had all the bells and whistles I was looking for.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I assumed they were "bubbly" because they represent grain silos which are usually big cylinders.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

"Here's our new logo, could you add it to the site?"

Stop triggering me.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

God I hate Tableau.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Last Chance posted:

This is extremely good advice

Yes, this is amazingly good advice. The vast majority of lovely devs I've worked with were lovely not because they were bad coders, but because they were terrible at interacting with non-coders and took every single thing a client said absolutely literally. Don't do this.

e: I'll never forget a meeting I sat in where a client said, "...and then we want the app to take a picture so it can..." and this absolute neanderthal of a dev I am so happy I'll never work with again audibly scoffed and said, "an app can't take a picture, the camera takes the picture," and I just wanted to die right there.

kedo fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 22, 2022

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

What sites are people looking at for jobs these days? I'm about to start hiring for a position pretty soon, and I've been out of the hiring loop for awhile.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Apropos of nothing let me just say I really, truly loath GoDaddy. I'm in the midst of launching a site that required moving a client's nameservers from another host back to GoDaddy, and in the middle of the process, GoDaddy's control panel server kicked the bucket. So now the nameservers have updated and are pointing... nowhere... and I have no ability to change them. All of my client's various services that rely on the domain are down. GoDaddy support's best recommendation is "try back in a couple of hours."

:smithicide:

e: In a surprise to no one, GoDaddy support has no ability to update DNS records without using their web interface, which is broken. Why would they? After all, they only own the servers.

kedo fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 16, 2023

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I don't know the answer to that, but if you don't care about preserving the exact aspect ratio of the images you could solve this issue by putting the images inside of a div, giving the div a specific aspect ratio and setting the image to object-fit: cover. That way all of your images display nicely and their actual dimensions are meaningless. Not sure if this is applicable for you, but I've had good luck with this for the sort of situation you're describing in the past.

https://jsfiddle.net/h9Lz8bas/

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Linkedin is about the same as any other job board, to be honest. There are a lot of listings. Some of them are for good companies, and some of them are for lovely companies. Some might be a good fit for you, and some aren't a good fit. Heck, half the time when I've looked at Linkedin vs [insert other board here], half of the jobs are included on both boards.

Now recruiters on Linkedin are a whole 'nother ball of wax and are universally obnoxious and terrible in my experience.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

fletcher posted:

Their docs are such a great resource. I was sad to hear the teams responsible for the tutorials were let go in the recent layoffs :( :(

Wow that's sad, their docs have been my go-to for most server tasks for years.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Session data would allow you, with some JS or server-side scripting, maintain an open/collapsed state between pages.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah.

Honestly if the site is old enough that it uses frameset, it's probably old enough that the UI sucks and could use some modernization.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

It depends on where you want your career to go.

Despite how much some developers love to hate it, WordPress is still a tremendous force on the web. It's used on 43.2% of all sites on the internet, and it shows no sign of slowing down. It has a robust ecosystem around it and there's a ton of work to be had if you're a talented WP dev. I've spent a very large chunk of my career working in WordPress, both freelance and in-house at design/dev shops, and we've never had a lack for business. WordPress work tends to fall into three broad categories – marketing site, blogs, and ecommerce sites, though there's the odd project that diverges from those groups. If you're going to work in WP, you'll be expected to be an expert with PHP, JS and S/CSS as the line between the WP frontend and backend is very blurred.

I'm biased, but if you're going to work with a CMS WordPress is your best bet. Drupal is the second runner up last I checked, but it is absolutely miserable to work with and commands a far smaller market share (anecdotally, clients who have/want sites built on Drupal tend to be assholes, I don't know why). There are various other CMSs out there that are pleasant to work with (Craft comes to mind), but the demand for them is small. I see various headless CMSs being talked about occasionally, but they are a minuscule drop in the bucket and specializing in one of those vastly reduces the number of places you'd be able to find a job. The few that I've worked with have been pleasant (KeystoneJS was fun and I have a personal project that uses it), but no clients are actively looking for devs who know obscure headless CMSs.

As a final selling point: since you already know React, WordPress might be a good CMS for you to pick up as its new content editor uses React to power its components. The number of people who can create completely custom components from scratch is very small since most WP devs aren't familiar with React (at least in my experience), and those that are are beautiful unicorns.

America Inc. posted:

In my main job I do React and Django stuff but for freelancing those skills ironically seem to be irrelevant.

By and large people looking for freelancers aren't going to know wtf React and Django are, so that's likely why they feel irrelevant. If you want to freelance with these technologies, you'd be better off courting dev shops that already use them to see if they have extra projects they can throw your way when they get overwhelmed.

America Inc. posted:

I did make a proposal for a job on Upwork that would actually involve frontend work.

Upwork is terrible. If you want to get freelance work, you are far better off telling every single person you know (literally) that you're available for freelance, and what type of work you do. Referral work yields higher quality clients and more money with very little time investment. When I first started freelancing I did this and I proceeded to have seven years of non-stop work before covid happened and a lot of project budgets dried up.

kedo fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 30, 2023

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Headless WP makes very little sense to me because one of the biggest selling points of the platform is the ability to easily implement third party plugins, and headless prevents the majority of plugins from working.

I mean, I guess if you live the editor THAT much it maaaaaybe makes sense… sorta?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Agoat posted:

Sorry for the noob question, but what is the neat screen door-looking overlay called on top of the background video on this site?

https://warthunder.com/en

I'm not sure if that treatment has a specific name (I'd just call it "a repeating dot pattern") but all they're doing is applying a repeated background image z-indexed over the video as a pseudo element.

Here's the CSS in question:

CSS code:
.content__background-video::after, 
.content__background-promo::after {
    content: "";
    position: absolute;
    z-index: 200;
    left: 0;
    top: 0;
    width: 100%;
    height: 100%;
    background: url(https://static.warthunder.com/assets/6417ea1848ed628c46d5.png);
}
This type of image is a clever, stylish way to disguise a low-quality video. If you remove it you can see that the video has been heavily compressed and has some real ugly artifacting on certain shots, but the dot pattern visually breaks up the harsh lines created by the compression.

kedo fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 25, 2023

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-72sIsC1qTU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

A question for ya'll – does anyone have experience picking up small side work (or "gig work" as the economy tells me it's called) for web dev? I freelanced for years but took on a full-time position about a year ago. I have frequent but inconsistent gaps in my schedule where I could pick up a few hours of work here or there, but not enough that I could reasonably bid on true projects in my freelance capacity.

I'm not sure if such a thing even exists outside of sites like Fiverr, but it's not really worth my time to compete with random dudes in India who charge $15/hr for their work.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

GigaFuzz posted:

I seem to remember namecheap being decent. Any other goon favourites?

I still use Namecheap because it's inexpensive (for the first year at least) and reliable.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

She wants to hire a marketing firm that includes SEO in their service. There are legitimate SEO firms out there, but they're mixed in with a huge number of snake oil salesmen.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Anyone have a CDN recommendation for designers on my team to use when creating marketing emails? Apparently they've just been uploading them to a client's WordPress site and it's resulted in some Bad Times.

I'm mainly interested in something that takes the least amount of my time as possible to set up, and is simple enough to interact with that designers' heads won't explode when they need to upload/edit images.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Don't use AWS. Sure it's a great service, but you do not sound like the target audience – it's intended to be used by devs/IT and is not easy to set up or configure if you don't do this sort of thing all the time.

With the way you've described this:

quote:

a dynamic page set up at abcxyz.com (have someone else desgining) and then a shopify storefront at abcxyz.com/shop (which I've already created) but right now nothing is pointing anywhere relevant.

You want your homepage and your storefront on the same server since they both share the same domain and the shop is just in a subdirectory. Shopify can handle non-shopping-related pages, so I don't see any reason why you and your designer couldn't just use Shopify for everything, I've certainly done so in the past. Having a single domain name point to two different servers (AWS for one page, Shopify for everything else) is technically very complicated to achieve.

If you go this route you can just follow Shopify's directions for everything, and if you're confused about DNS records you can ask their tech support for help. They work with astoundingly non-technical people all the time, so they should be able to help out.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I've read many articles but I could use ya'lls opinions – are there any good and, more importantly, standards compliant ways to omit a label on a text input field while still adhering to WCAG 2.2 AA? The designers on my team are loath to ever include a label on a text input, they always want to use placeholders. I do my best to keep the fields as compliant as possible (ie. aria-label, hidden screen reader labels, etc.) but based on my experience and everything I've read suggests that, no, there still needs to be a visible label on each input. Most of our clients care about accessibility, and I'm in a position where I can make a blanket rule about how fields should be approached, so I'm looking for thoughts before I go and start an argument.

Can anyone with a better brain for accessibility than me confirm that visible labels are, in fact, an absolute requirement? I've thought about going the moving label/fake placeholder route (where the label pretends to be a placeholder and then, upon field focus, it moves up and out of the way of the field which was all the hotness maybe 5-10 years ago), but most of the forms I deal with allow for non-devs to edit the label text, so there's a distinct possibility of someone putting 200 characters into a label or something like that.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Thanks, I appreciate the input! :cheers:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I wish. I am constantly congratulated on my great puns and I never know I'm making them. My wife claims I have an excellent brain for puns but I'm just not in control of it, which, I guess, okay...?

:doh:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Any of ya'll worked with the Google Maps API and custom marker images recently? I'm experiencing this really dumb bug and I can't for the life of me figure it out.

I have a bunch of map markers with custom images. They need to be animated, so I have a different animated PNG image for the default (non-animated) state, the mouseover state, and the mouseout state. I swap icons based on mouse events, as per Google's recommendation.

However when I mouseout of one marker, it triggers the animation on all markers that share that same icon. See this video as an example.

The code (with some unnecessary parts removed):

JavaScript code:
      for ( let i=0; i<items.length; i++ ) {
        const item = items[i];
        const position = { lat: item.address.google.lat, lng: item.address.google.lng };
        const amenityType = item.terms['amenity-type'][0].slug;

// Icon images
        const icons = {
          'food-drink': {
            active: '/wp-content/themes/theme/static/icon-pin-food-drink-active.png',
            default: '/wp-content/themes/theme/static/icon-pin-food-drink.png',
            out: '/wp-content/themes/theme/static/icon-pin-food-drink-out.png',
          },
          'shopping': {
            active: '/wp-content/themes/theme/static/icon-pin-shopping-active.png',
            default: '/wp-content/themes/theme/static/icon-pin-shopping.png',
            out: '/wp-content/themes/theme/static/icon-pin-shopping-out.png',
          },
        };

const iconDefault = {
          url: icons[amenityType].default,
          scaledSize: new google.maps.Size(61, 71),
          origin: new google.maps.Point(0, 0),
          anchor: new google.maps.Point(30, 71)
        };
        const iconActive = {
          url: icons[amenityType].active,
        };
        const iconOut = {
          url: icons[amenityType].out,
        };

// Create the marker
        const marker = new google.maps.Marker({
          id: item.id,
          map,
          animation: google.maps.Animation.DROP,
          icon: iconDefault,
          inactive: false,
          visible: false,
          position: position,
        });
        google.maps.event.addListener( marker, 'mouseover', function() {
          this.setIcon( iconActive );
        });
        google.maps.event.addListener( marker, 'mouseout', function() {
          this.setIcon( iconOut );
        });
      }
Interestingly the mouseout animation is only triggered on the wrong markers if they have previously been hovered. If a marker hasn't been touched at all, it will not animate.

Any ideas? I'm going nuts over here.

kedo fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 5, 2023

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Thanks for the input! I tried everything both I and copilot could think of and eventually gave up and converted the whole project over to use Google’s newer AdvancedMarkerElement instead, which has the added benefit of being way more pleasant to style.

So a win in the end, but what a waste of two days.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Requests are timing out to that URL.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

https://daveseshop.net is timing out for me, and not responding to ping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Nolgthorn posted:

They'll pick the bad option 50% of the time though.

Yeah, I was going to say, definitely don't do this. I've learned through much painful experience that if you present an option you don't want the client to pick, they will pick it and then you'll be stuck with it. It's better to present a single option and make the argument as to why this is the best option for them than it is to present one you love and one you hate.

LifeLynx posted:

Twenty years of this and I still don't know how to handle clients who don't know what they want on their website. I have a client who wants to buy and sell items, but I'm having a very difficult time getting him to give me content, any content, and when he does it's a grammatical mess of half-finished ideas. It's like going to a real estate agent and saying "I want a building" but not having any idea if you want a residential place, commercial, how many rooms, colors, etc. This is why I like working with agencies more than individual clients.

My method for this is to build in a content delivery deadline for the client within my project timelines. It is placed at a specific point where I will have billed for more work than I will have completed, and if the client starts dragging their feet on content I simply put the project on indefinite hold, delaying the delivery date. I also charge a weekly (or monthly, depending on the project) delay fee and/or a re-initiation fee if the project is delayed more than X months. That way if a client pulls this kind of poo poo with me, I'm not out any money and the client has impetus to get me the crap they owe me because they are out money. A good contract should also cover this sort of thing because the second you say something like, "Okay, I'm putting this project on hold until you deliver the content, which means we can no longer hit your targeted launch date" the client will get all grumpy, so it's important to have something in writing to point to. Especially in case they get litigious.

This becomes less of an issue with higher dollar clients – it's usually small mom and pop businesses that pull this sort of thing.

kedo fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 24, 2024