Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
I have a lawyer I consult for some freelance work. If he cant help me he can make a referral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

quote:

9.1. The Employee covenants and agrees that:

9.1.1. During the Term of employment, the Employee shall devote his or her full working

9.1.2. During the Term and for a period of one (1) year following the Employee’s

time, attention and efforts to xxxx and in its related affairs as directed by xxxx;

termination the Employee shall not compete in any way with xxxx in any

geographical region in which xxxx conducts or may in the future conduct business,

directly or indirectly, whether as owner, partner, shareholder or agent, officer,

director, employee, independent contractor, consultant or otherwise, unless acting in

accordance with xxxx’ prior written consent.

9.1.3. The Employee shall not be prohibited from web-development or use of web-
development technologies and for the purposes of Article 9.1.2, “competition” shall

9.1.4. The Employee acknowledges and agrees that the time frames for which the

be defined as conducting business, directly or indirectly, whether as owner, partner,

shareholder or agent, officer, director, employee, independent contractor, consultant

or otherwise with a person (whether corporate or individual) which is in the business

of or involved in development or maintenance of a web-based platform which allows

real-time editing with multiple users having the ability to video conference.

aforesaid covenant shall apply have been considered by the Employee who has

taken independent legal advice with respect thereto and the restraint and restriction

of and on the future activities of the Employee are reasonable in the circumstances.

{Client Files/27451/1/E1494565.DOC }

9.1.5. The parties agree that if the time frames set out in this Article are found to be

unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction, the time frames will be amended

to the time frames as established by a court of competent jurisdiction.

For anyone interested in what the amended version looks like.

V No. I was simply showing people what it looks like since we were discussing it. If it eases your mind I have already sent it for review.

Oh My Science fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 1, 2014

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
Just to follow up on our earlier conversation I actually spoke with a lawyer.

He suggested two things:

1. If I were terminated the non-compete should be void.
2. Non-competes are typically paired with 'consideration' clauses entitling me to x months of salary (usually the term of the contract) + severance should I leave.

They did not like those two things. He told me his lawyer would laugh at #2 and that #1 was out of the question.

I'm really torn. On one hand the job has the potential to be very interesting, but like any startup it could disappear at any time. Even if it beats the odds and does succeed I could spend years (not likely these days) learning a specific set of tech and be barred from finding work on a similar product / environment which would now be my bread and butter.

I technically don't need the job and could turn it down, it just sucks that this wasn't part of the initial discussion. Makes me feel like the bad guy for trying to protect my own right to work.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

Munkeymon posted:

Just want to point out that there is a thread with a supposedly real lawyer currently on page two of the COC list: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611767 He might be a little more helpful.

Thanks for this, I'll wait until I have a second opinion before I do anything rash. Really tempted to make an ultimatum, but I suspect that won't go over well.

This relationship is off to a rocky start anyway, can't imagine what kind of poo poo they might pull later.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
:siren: http://heartbleed.com/ :siren:

Haven't seen this posted in the last few pages. We have a shiny new openSSL vulnerability please update your servers people.

You can check your domain here: http://filippo.io/Heartbleed

ps. I won my contract negotiation and the non-compete was removed.

edit: added some clarity. changed the test site, no more little checkbox.

Oh My Science fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 8, 2014

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

kedo posted:

Contgrats! How'd you eventually get them to give in?

I consulted a laywer and gave them the option of adding a consideration clause or dropping the non-compete, I'm guessing my bosses lawyer didn't laugh at that. They didn't want to give me a years worth of salary when I leave.

:siren: please check your servers for heartbleed vulnerability :siren:

Sorry, it's worth repeating.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
For the Mac users in the thread Sketch 3 is out and I really like it. It's a huge update from sketch 2, anyone who needs a relatively cheap Illustrator / Photoshop alternative should try the demo.

http://bohemiancoding.com/sketch/

It's on sale for $50.00 until April 21st in the app store too.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
No I just tried. I assume you meant selecting one character in a word / paragraph?

Symbols are a thing, which seems to be the big selling point. I'm somewhat disappointed I can't share symbols between documents though.

Also,

quote:

If you purchased Sketch 2 on the Mac App Store after March 1st, 2014, you will receive Sketch 3 for free. In order to claim your license key, please email us your Mac App Store receipt and we’ll sort out the rest. Due to the limited quantity of promo codes we have available, we regret that we cannot provide you with an App Store version of Sketch 3 in return, but a serial key that you can apply to our trial to remove any limitation.

Oh My Science fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
WooCommerce is pretty straight forward and easy to use. If you're going down the 'as cheap as possible' route they offer a few free themes here, although you should be able to integrate it into w/e theme you want.

The only time it gets complicated is if (a) you have a complicated product (weird quantities, too many variations, etc) or (b) you need one of the addons for shipping, inventory management, store locators, etc... I hate it when they nickel and dime you for those addons.