Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009
Without having access to the actual devices, what would be the best way to test a website on mobile devices (Android, iPhone iPad etc..)?

Edit: Actually, I can see now that BrowserStack covers mobile as well. That may do the trick.

Fuoco fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jun 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009
I'm looking at transitioning an existing website over to another server. There are some concerns that the server may not have the capacity to handle the traffic to this website.

The website is for a yearly event. It's traffic normally would not be a concern at all, but around the time of the event it can spike to around 700,000 hits in a day.

What would be the best way to test the capacity of the server to make sure it could handle the load? It's a dedicated LAMP server if that helps at all.

Thanks!

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009

b0red posted:

Are you hosting static pages?

No, I'll be using Wordpress as a CMS.

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009

Skiant posted:

If you haven't already, you should really take a look at the server-side caching plugins available for WP, that will vastly reduce the amount of stress on the server caused by massive affluence.

Most plugins will store a plain HTML file based on the rendering done by the first visitor to a page, and serve that cached version to following visitors, instead of requesting Database over and over again.

kedo posted:

Use WP Super Cache for sure. Consider putting your heavy files (images, pdfs, etc) on a CDN. Go with a host that has the ability to upgrade ram / bandwidth on the fly.

Thanks. WP Super Cache sounds great, and ideal for our purposes considering the site won't be updating so frequently. I also have the ability to store static files on a separate CDN so that also should help a lot.

Talking to the hosting providers today they seemed quietly confident, so I should be good from here on. :)

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009
A related option might be to set a hash to an element that appears at the top of your page before reloading:

http://jsfiddle.net/fmodsfhc/
http://fiddle.jshell.net/fmodsfhc/show/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009

kedo posted:

Here is the entirety of what I tell people when they ask for my opinion on SEO: "Well... it's mostly snake oil. Google has long said that A) providing useful content to your users and B) having other folks link to you are the two best things you can do, so if you have a budget you want to dedicate it to improving your search rank you should spend it on copywriters and marketing."

And then I end the conversation by shouting "NONONONONONONONO" and covering my ears if they keep talking about it. :shrug:

I had a similar experience with my slightly technically-minded dentist around this time last year. I tried to dissuade him from hiring an SEO company, but he decided to ignore me and give them large amounts of money. The company folded, and thusfar he hasn't been able to recover his money. And no changes were even made to his site.

I think one of the best things you can do for your search rankings is have a quality website in general. As I told him at the time "A website with fantastic relevant content, a clean pleasing design, and that loads quickly across devices is one that users will want to visit, re-visit, and recommend to others.