Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
You should be incrementally testing with each and every browser you will support after each "task" is finished,in the development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

DreadCthulhu posted:

Any general advice, guidelines or guides for how to make your web api not suck over long stretches of time? The web app portion is easy, I can change that whenever and users will get the latest .js files in no time, but the mobile apps might lag behind by weeks if not months, depending on how aggressive the specific OS is about forcing updates (iOS really isn't at this point, not until iOS7).

So how do I start developing APIs that service multiple versions of clients with a 1-2 month margin of backwards compatibility? Test the API with oldest supported client version and newest version at all times, make sure it works? I know I'll figure it out through mistakes, but ideally I'd not not learn it the hard way.

Just check if the app's version is the latest one, and put a pretty dialog asking the user to update if it is not.