Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

kedo posted:

I'm not sure if it's intentional or not, but the carousel on that site is fast enough that I couldn't finish reading half the quotes. Are they just being meta? I don't know! :psyduck:

\/ \/ :doh:

That was the conclusion on HN a few days ago when it was posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

hayden. posted:

If I just point my browser to http://www.reddit.com/hot/.json then it responds but including my default subreddits.

That's because you're logged in on your account.

hayden. posted:

When my code above runs (it's on a remote server, not my local machine) does it request it through the server it's hosted on or through my own connection?

There's no way something run on a remote server would use your connection.

hayden. posted:

I have almost no idea what I'm doing. Anyone have suggestions in how to make my code above pull in items as though I'm logged in? I've been looking around trying to figure out how to use the reddit API with JavaScript and have found nothing. I would guess logging in through the API first would fix it? No idea.

Yes, if you want it to pull items as though it's logged in as you, it will have to be logged in as you.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

hayden. posted:

JavaScript running in a browser after a page has loaded isn't running on the remote server is it?

I was confused since you said it was running on the remote server. It's just stored there and running on your computer?

I'm guessing that hot/.json doesn't do anything other than grab the public "hot" list. I've never used the Reddit API -- you'll have to look and see how to log in and use the logged in session.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Add overflow-x: scroll; overflow-y: hidden; to your sortable div.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
http://jsfiddle.net/QA5b6/

If you have multiple divs with IDs with the exact same style, odds are that they should be a class.

Edit: Why are you making a navigation bar sortable, anyway? Just curious...

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Never seen it.

Dumb mistake on my part though: http://jsfiddle.net/K47Cg/

The sortable has to have a fixed width and the containing div is the one that does the overflowing.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Lumpy posted:

You must have never designed a website that was supposed to generate revenue.

"Hey boss, our company had 19.1M in expenses, the site only brought in 19M. Good thing we told 5% of our users to gently caress off!"

(Cue: people without JS/ modern browsers would never buy anything online anyway justification...)

If you can't provide a good user experience (note: not astounding or unbelievable, just good enough to get the job done) without javascript / cutting edge Css, its not the users fault.

That's more a sign of faulty planning sales.

Nobody says "Dammit Bob, if you had designed a sports coupe with enough room for a family of five and a kid in a wheelchair, we could have captured more of the market!"

Those people aren't even IN the market in many cases.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Maluco Marinero posted:

That's an entirely different thing. If your website is about sales conversion, not high level interaction, the front end shouldn't lock up cause the Javascript hasn't loaded up yet. Modern web applications have prerequisites, they're not the same kettle of fish.

That's what I wanted to say and said incredibly poorly.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Boner Slam posted:

As far as the computation is concerned, I know that Python has some numerical packages. I would like to include R at some point probably as well. I read it can input C, so maybe there's a way to interface via that.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but NumPy and matplotlib are both Python libraries aiming (I think) to duplicate/expand on a lot of Matlab functionality, some of which may help you with your mathematical stuff.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Turkeybone posted:

Great, thanks for all the help folks! I came back to school to finish my degree (used to work in kitchens) so the notion of charging $1000 for probably a weekend of sitting on my butt (roughly, I know there's a lot more to it than just the actual coding) blows my mind -- I literally have no concept what's appropriate. I'm really comfortable with business writing in general, just not what specifically should go into a proposal, so this is all EXTREMELY helpful.

The problem is that it may not just be a weekend -- you might run into problems/bugs/other demands. $1000 for 16 hours is great, $1000 for 32 hours is still nice, $1000 for 64 is pushing it.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
On the other hand, Angular is pretty popular and does let you do things like graphing.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I'm a little confused.

Are you looking for a library that will test your forms with various known problematic strings, or are you looking for one that will sanitize input against those known problematic strings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Something like this?

http://jqueryvalidation.org/documentation