Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveP
Apr 25, 2011
Hey guys, I've walked into agreeing to help make a commerce website for a friend and I'm looking for the path of least resistance. With a friend doing visual design I've built a nice minimal landing page and we've done layout on the rest of the site, but for build I'm looking for the e-commerce service to suit the time/effort I want to put into this -in a perfect world I'd just be able to modify an existing minimal template, style it up as per our layouts and then make it so the landing page just sends through to this store site. I've had a look at squarespace and shopify, but without diving deep into them to difficult to tell what I'm capable of doing to existing templates.

Any help much appreciated, I'm fairly well versed in HTML/css and alright at js/jquery, and willing to learn more as required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveP
Apr 25, 2011
/\/\/\/\/\

Thanks, I think I'm gonna stick with shopify, just gotta get my head around modifying liquid

DaveP
Apr 25, 2011
Hey guys, I've got some dynamic counting numbers that add some techy flair to the header of a page I'm working on (they increase as you scroll the page), but when they're changing they look a bit fruity: all jumpy thanks to variable letter widths in the typeface I'm using.

Anyone got any lightweight methods to effectively 'fake' fixed width/monospaced lettering with a variable width typeface? I was thinking something like breaking out each number to a span each with their own width to 'counter' the variable widths but this would be a messy pain in the butt.

DaveP fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 1, 2013

DaveP
Apr 25, 2011

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

Nice dice. :( I made the changes and cleared the cache and it didn't go away.

Edit: I'm going to get someone to convert the source videos to 852, and maybe that will work. They are all 853x480 which seem a bit strange, but I don't know much about standard video sizes.

Work to a standard horizontal width rather than vertical -most decoders and players are much better suited to shoving letter boxing (black bars on top and bottom) on than messing with the horizontal size of a video, as height is the most interchangeable value in video with different aspect ratios. 640x360 or 960x540 will suit your needs, perhaps 1280x720 if you want to go low-end hd

The first website I made just made the long-list for an award, super stoked (Distance to Mars on http://bit.ly/1aqNImc)