Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haakman
May 5, 2011
Goons,

I am the only semi-technically literate guy in our office. My boss's browser (IE8) can no longer access our website. Our website is some god awful flash based template. When I try and access on his computer I get the following error message:-

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; GTB7.5; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; InfoPath.1)
Timestamp: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 13:28:54 UTC

Line: 4050
Char: 3
Code: 0
URI: http://www.petercrichton1.webeden.co.uk/_app/28713/en/resources/big.js?tracker=SM.SWFAddress.tracker

Line: 207
Char: 5
URI: http://www.petercrichton1.webeden.co.uk/

Line: 232
Char: 2
URI: http://www.petercrichton1.webeden.co.uk/

I presume it is something to do with JavaScript - any ideas for a fix? The website runs absolutely fine in Chrome and Firefox. I've contacted the company who provide our website and their response was, and this is a direct quote - 'Maybe they should consider upgrading their version of Internet explorer?'

I've literally just started to try and learn web development - this stuff is way above my level.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haakman
May 5, 2011

kedo posted:

Yeah those are Javascript errors for sure.

Thanks for this!

To clarify - the error in JS is totally server side and there's nothing I can do about it? I'm trying to convince the office to move to Chrome, but they are convinced it's evil?

The website seems to load on a couple of computers around the office (using IE) but not on mine or my bosses. I've tried upgrading IE on my bosses computer to no avail, same error.

Barring switching to another browser - which is what I want - is there anything I can do to make the website run in IE (compatibility or that type of thing?)

Thanks

haakman
May 5, 2011

kedo posted:

e: Wait! I just put IE 8 into compatibility view and got those errors. So disable it on his computer and you should be good (but still, make him switch – IE 8 is old and stupid).

Bingo! This worked - thanks.

To continue my own education... any idea why this worked? Is IE8 in compatibility view extra finicky?

haakman
May 5, 2011
Hello again,

In my first faltering steps into web development I have stumbled across something which I can't get my head around. I'm trying to learn jQuery and Javascript in general, via codeacademy, and say I have code like the below:

quote:

$(document).ready(function() {
$(firstbox).fadeOut(1000);
});

there is a ) at the end. There is no corresponding ( anywhere above it. Why does this work? Is this intended? Is it just a quirk of the language that it needs to be there?

Sorry, I expect my question is very, very basic, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

haakman
May 5, 2011
I am an idiot. Thank you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haakman
May 5, 2011
So, Web Development Goons,

A friend of mine runs a small render farm. He wants to create some portal software - whereby a user can upload files to the render farm, see the real time progress of files being rendered (no of frames etc) and then download completed files. There needs to be a built in system of credit, whereby funds can be added to a user's account and then subtracted when a job is rendered.

I have been asked to look into this by my friend, as I have a very small smattering of web dev experience, and almost limitless time at the moment. It is way above anything I have ever done before. I am totally in the dark and, prior to pointing my friend towards a qualified professional, could someone let me know where I would start? Is this even doable?

The alternative involves actually coding a piece of software which sits on a user's computer, can be run via a plugin in 3DS Max and such. No idea on that front.

Thanks in advance Goons.