Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I’m teaching myself some webdev while my job is slow, and I’m starting by making a blog/sketchbook. I hope to use these skills for work, so I want to learn best industry practices and follow a logical workflow from design to dev to deployment.

So far, I bought a domain on dreamhost, where it’s hosted, and I was able to successfully upload an html skeleton using sftp that renders on the live sire.

I’d like to use github for version control, and I want the live site to update when I make changes to the production branch of the repository. How do people do this? Most of the documentation I’m finding is about “github pages” but i’d rather not move the hosting.

Also, any suggested resources I read for using a dev server to test out changes before updating the live site? As well as integrating it with the github workflow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

One way to do this is with GitHub Actions. GitHub Actions is basically a pipeline that will run arbitrary code when stuff happens with your repos. So you would set up an action that says "when I update the production branch, upload it to my server." Since your server is accessed via FTP, you might be able to use this prebuilt action: https://github.com/marketplace/actions/ftp-deploy

You can also skip the FTP stuff completely and just host your site with a tool like Vercel or Netlify. I think it would be free for a small static site and it would link into your GitHub automatically. Deploying sites via FTP isn't done all that often anymore (although I'm sure it still happens a lot)

Interesting, how do a lot of small/medium sized companies deploy if not through ftp?

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

Some people just clone their repos on their servers and run git pull (I don't recommend this).

thank you for saving me from doing this.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I’ve been teaching myself webdev while my day job has been slow, and I’m looking for some react projects I can do to build a portfolio for when it comes time to monetize computer touching. What kinds of projects or apps would be actually impressive to an employer instead of boilerplate to-do apps and the like?

Side note, any tips on finding FOSS projects to contribute to?

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Hey all, I'm teaching myself some webdev to hopefully switch careers to something data journalism adjacent. I've assigned myself a little project to build a React app to find how many car crashes have occurred on any given street or intersection in NYC. For the first proof-of-concept stage, it will just be a search bar that pulls data from NYC's open database API and returns the results in an HTML grid, and I'll be using this dataset of car-crashes. I got started using create-react-app, and I'm wondering how I should structure this.

Should the search bar be a separate component than what actually calls the API? Should I use Fetch API to retrieve data from the database? Are there any component libraries that streamline the process, avoiding unnecessary wheel re-invention?

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Armauk posted:

Data journalism adjacent in what way?

If not working directly for a publication/journalism outfit, then working for a company that makes similar tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I want to build a site for a fledgling sportswear brand of mine and get better at webdev. I've been playing around with this template , and I can work with it on my local machine, but it's been a huge pain in the rear end to deploy. I'm trying to get the medusa back-end to run on AWS via Microtica, but I had to dig into Microtica's discord to find a fix for build failure. At this point, the deployment is stuck on "creating," and documentation is sparse.

Any other free ways to host this backend? I plan on hosting the frontend and possibly the admin panel on netlify, where I currently have the domain parked.

I'm also open to rethinking the stack. For reference, I have some familiarity with React and would like to stick with that, and the company will most likely be using Shopify logistics for shipping/returns etc.