Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Wow what a beautiful op. I just got a job on a graduate scheme for a web development firm, total career change for me. Just out of interest, why no SQL mention? Is this more of a front end thread or may I ask whatever web development related here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Right so here is a question...

I just got an entry level job for a web development company debugging clients systems. I have no idea what I am doing. So far I have come across a few techniques and I am wondering if goons know any I should look into.

So far techniques I have used include real time trace logging, ?showXml=1, and a couple tools; WinSCP to browse and edit live code with notepad++ and mRemote to handle many connections.

Are there any tips/techniques you guys find invaluable? Any articles or books I should read?

If this generates much response I'll start a thread.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Can anyone give a definitive answer as to why (or even if) PostgreSQL is better than MySQL? It seems a lot of people just say it is without any kind of substance behind why.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

samglover posted:

I've been re-writing the stylesheet for Lawyerist.com to use rem units, but I still need to support IE 8. Sucks, but our readers are lawyers, and a ridiculous number are still on IE 8.

Microsoft are not supporting XP as of April so we may be spared this bullshit from now on.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Shows how much I know/care about windows!

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

pipebomb posted:

For every 5 year old browser out there, there is a workaround. A client couldn't view the nice shiny videos on his site, on his Win7/IE8 machine. We ended up putting them on a youtube channel for him...let them worry about decoding and browser compatibility for poo poo like that.

Was that less effort than, say, providing them a link for chrome?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

pipebomb posted:

His concern, rightly, is that he has a specific config, others may as well. Money talks, ego walks.

Fair enough!

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Best it's ever been, and getting better all the time.

https://serverless.com/

Our core application is and will remain php on elastic beanstalk, but we use serverless for all our micro services.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Anyone recommend any books for backend developers who live on the command line and want to pretend to have an opinion on design and UX?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

the heat goes wrong posted:

"Don't make me think" should cover enough of the basics.

The original edition good enough? It's like 10% of the price haha

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I don't want them to know. The whole point is to infiltrate design conversations undetected and reduce the percentage of time I spend staring vacantly when icons and buttons are discussed.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Anyone read any good books lately?

Probably about time I brushed up.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I was working at a product company as backend lead/defecto CTO for 5 ish years then left last year. I've occasionally found the need to have some kind of more recent portfolio but, honestly, feel a bit out of touch with where things are right now.

I'm going to make a couple quick crud apps in typescript (not my strongest language). One heavily framework driven and one basically vanilla. Probably like a google photos clone that doesn't scan your poo poo.

What stack would people use these days to show a good grasp of current frameworks/toolage?

The list I have atm is...

Frontend

Next.js or Gatsby

Backend

Express (...still woo!)
TypeORM

Db
Postgres

Toolage/testing
Jest
Inversify
Pino
ESLint

Obviously containerised in docker. Any other hot poo poo I am missing you swear by these days? Particularly when it comes to toolage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

I am applying for CTO/Dev team lead roles (if I apply at all) so the expectations might be a little different than for junior/senior Dev roles. I can talk about deployment process and architecture all day long, unfortunately for anyone in the vicinity. Basically it's come up that I need to show that I can architect software with a modern stack at a lower level so that it's clear I can perform code reviews and mentorship. I'm comfortable with CI/Deployment/infrastructure. The issue is that I feel a little out of touch specifically with the node/typescript ecosystem.