Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I generally avoid any possible problems like that by only using vendor/internal supplied images, but I'm coming from an ecommerce background where pictures of products etc. are generally readily available. All too often I'll have a client google up some nice pictures and say "hey put these on the site" and then I'll link them some unauthorized use lawsuits and generally they'll shut up. Same with "free" fonts really, though I haven't heard of anyone getting busted for those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Is there like a site to test accessibility compatibility like W3C validator or something? I haven't really thought about it

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

v1nce posted:

I haven't used them but we were leaning towards these about a year ago:
http://www.tenon.io/

Wow, we passed 58 out of 62 tests. I guess buying a premium theme paid off after all. I wonder how rigorous the test is though, since half of the 11 problems are the same ones W3C reports.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

nexus6 posted:

Ah yes, not only do you have to edit the database but it's not even offered as default functionality

I just did this a couple weeks ago when I went from my dev environment to live. It wasn't actually that big a deal; most of the "stock" WP stuff was smart enough to keep URLs out of the serialized arrays, only one plugin was storing URL info in them. As for the absolute URLs, you can mostly avoid them when authoring, but it takes a lot of effort (e.g. manual linking /buttes/fartes/ instead of using the editor's "link to existing pages" tool). But I'm not defending either practice really, it's a big pain in the rear end. If I didn't know enough to SQLize out the few exceptions I'd have been peeved.

As far as I can tell (for anyone else doing this) you can ignore the absolute URLs in the GUID column of wp_posts. Doesn't seem to actually do anything except be unique.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

This is a general question that isn't quite in any one discipline so I figured I'd ask here. I've a client who wants to embed a panorama 360 noscope picture on their site. I've taken the picture with my Nexus 6p, and it looks pretty sweet, but it seems like there's a lot of ways to do this, including:
- A wordpress plugin (it's a wordpress site) such as: https://wordpress.org/plugins/tags/panorama
- Hack together something with Google Maps: http://www.labnol.org/internet/design/embed-large-pictures-panoramas-web-pages-google-maps-image-viewer/2606/
- A prettier hack of the above: http://streetview-embed.appspot.com/
- Embed a Google+ post as per (looks lame) http://photography.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-embed-google-photo-spheres-on-your-blog-or-website--cms-24980
- Use yet another JS include/library as per the bottom of here: http://www.labnol.org/internet/embed-panorama-images/25510/

The problem being, this is a panorama I've taken on my phone; it doesn't live in Google maps, and I'm not sure I want it to. Do any of you guys have any experience want to chime in what the "best" method is?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Skandranon posted:

REST is like the Pirate Code. They are more guidelines than rules.

/TheBlackSpot?userId=460508729

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Any of you guys doing anything with the AMP thinger? Google has a section about it in Webmaster but I haven't looked into it. Just another kind of microformats/rich snippets?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Scaramouche posted:

This is a general question that isn't quite in any one discipline so I figured I'd ask here. I've a client who wants to embed a panorama 360 noscope picture on their site. I've taken the picture with my Nexus 6p, and it looks pretty sweet, but it seems like there's a lot of ways to do this, including:
- A wordpress plugin (it's a wordpress site) such as: https://wordpress.org/plugins/tags/panorama
- Hack together something with Google Maps: http://www.labnol.org/internet/design/embed-large-pictures-panoramas-web-pages-google-maps-image-viewer/2606/
- A prettier hack of the above: http://streetview-embed.appspot.com/
- Embed a Google+ post as per (looks lame) http://photography.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-embed-google-photo-spheres-on-your-blog-or-website--cms-24980
- Use yet another JS include/library as per the bottom of here: http://www.labnol.org/internet/embed-panorama-images/25510/

The problem being, this is a panorama I've taken on my phone; it doesn't live in Google maps, and I'm not sure I want it to. Do any of you guys have any experience want to chime in what the "best" method is?

In case anyone was curious how I ended up doing this I took a more circuitous route.
- Uploaded the photosphere/panorama to Google Maps at the lat/long linked to my work Gmail account
- Waited about a week until I got a "Thanks for adding photos to Google Maps!" email that indicates the photo is live on Maps
- Follow the link from the email to my photo, saving the URL
- Extract the pano id from resulting giant messy link. First, grab the string between !1s and !2e (not including those variables). Then, add F: to the front of that string. It'll probably be URL encoded, so replace the %2F with forward slash /
- Then go here https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/embed/start and put your carefully extracted pano id in the "Custom Panorama ID" field under the "Show Street View or a Custom Panorama" accordion/tab. Click off the text box, the page will automatically check if the supplied Pano ID is valid. If a picture appears in the frame on the right it worked. If not, you probably screwed up getting the value between !1s and !2e, forgot the 2F slashes, or forgot the F: (the latter of which you are never told is necessary).
- Click the Looks Good! button to continue. Now it wants an API key.
- If you don't have one, go here while logged into a Gmail account: https://console.developers.google.com/
- Create New Project (top right somewhere), call it whatevs you want
- Then enable the API; the one you want is Google Maps Embed API. You might need others since I had a bunch of others ones active, but it didn't really work until I enabled that one.
- Let Google Enable it, and then click Credentials. Enter a wacky code and copy out the resulting API key
- Way back at https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/embed/start (you didn't close it did you?) enter the API Key you were just given
- Click Done and copy+paste the resulting iframe src onto your page.

Notes: What a loving pain in the rear end.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I was looking for something in site:mysite.com and a bunch of PDF files showed up in the results. Underneath each one there's a Googley red message:
"This page is not mobile friendly, you rancid piece of poo poo!"

So I click it, and it goes to:
https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/mobile-friendly/?url=mysite.com/apdf.pdf

And sure enough, unfriendliness confirmed.

But... it's a freaking PDF? Are they not allowed anymore? Is Google expecting an HTML5/GoogleDocs version now? Have you guys seen this, and how do you get around it? Probably around 1/3 of this site is ancient PDF part diagrams for obscure mechanical equipment.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Zero The Hero posted:

No, I mean mobile default. AOSP I think it's called.
It's a requirement. This is for work, I don't have a choice. I probably should have mentioned the work thing earlier in case someone has an objection to doing my work for me.
Anyway, I tried these options too. I would think the actual link was broken, but it works on desktop browsers. I suppose I can try it on Chrome for Android, if it works there, I'll know a bit more about the issue.

Yeah my guess would be if Chrome/Dolphin/whatever works, then it's not a URL path/mimetype/linked app problem .... probably...

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I did some emails in Desk.com/Salesforce using their Liquid templates. Didn't.... suck. Have no idea how they failed over to text only but they worked pretty well.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Said back end server is not getting port scanned and probed all the time directly by not having a publicly facing ip. Can work with ddos mitigation as well though I wouldn't set up that arrangement for it solely.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

All other things being equal (I know they're not) Visual Studio is a pretty good reason to be an asp developer. Just hopefully never have to worry about third party dependencies and 32/64 compatibility because dang that's a mess.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

ModeSix posted:

I have to say the intellisense is quite nice. Though I'm used to that for C#/Unity things.

I haven't tried to do anything with 3rd party libraries yet, though I intend to try and shoehorn in Bootstrap and Angular eventually, though with the ASP.Net Core functionality would I really need Angular?

I was referring to more binary dependencies. For example I was doing a web forms project (blech) back in.. 2010 maybe? that used an external FTP component DLL that would "live" in one place in the GAC depending on if the OS was running 32x or 64x (and NOT the compile target of the project). Things like that. If you're doing pure web server stuff it'll probably never come up.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm in more of a development role than a graphics role, but have had to do some stuff lately without Photoshop and.... Paint.net is really good guys. So far I've had to do these kind of one offs:
- Edit/crop/adjust product photos
- Make animated gifs
- Make favico
- Make simple pre-press print things (instruction cards, logos, coupon drop cards, etc.)

The only thing I miss/need Photoshop for is:
- Advanced text (kerning, text along path, etc.)
- Angular lasso select for removing backgrounds

Everything else Paint.net does easily and well. Kinda impressed to tell the truth, makes me wonder why I've been wrestling with Gimp all these years and can still barely do anything in it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

SES is surprisingly good, for once an Amazon product does what it says mostly on the tin. It's a Simple Email Service. I've think I've converted 5 or 6 shops to it in the last couple years.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

This is pretty weird. We're setting up a wholesaler version of the site with reduced pricing, special inventory upload/download, etc.

So's I install a basic wordpress site in a sub folder /wholesale
Then I go into the hosting setup and add a sub-domain, wholesale.ourdomain.com and point it to the /wholesale folder

When I visit wholesale.ourdomain.com I get a totally different page, somehow pulled from the front page crosspromonetwork.com:

quote:

What is a Cross Promotion?
Cross pro-mo-tion: noun; The cooperative marketing by two or more companies of each other's products/services.

A well-known example of a cross promotion is Disney and McDonald's Happy Meal toys.

(etc etc a shady offer/sign up sheet later)

Eventually, the dns updates, and I get redirected to the home page of ourdomain.com because I need to modify .htaccess to allow for the sub-domain.

But what the hell happened in that 5-10 minutes inbetween? Shady deal for unresolved subdomains by our host? I tried a random string (asdfasd.ourdomain.com) and that properly 404d, same with sales. or promotions.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I use Textpad linked to WinSCP for ftp functionality. Make sure you get the PHP syntax highlighter thinger going

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Grump posted:

I just got a second interview but the woman asked me to write something in Symfony, a framework I've never used and barely even heard of.

I know it's well documented and has great learning tools, but I'm kinda clueless on what I should even write

Fizz Buzz but do Fartes Buttes instead.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I've set up about a dozen WooCommerce sites and have been working in eCommerce for the last 10 years, AMA

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'll answer your questions first and then address your use case second:

1)Direct cost for Wordpress is nothing. Totally free, requires Linux Hosting with MySQL database access (which is not free) and Wordpress (which is). However, there are two areas where you'll likely spend money. Plugins, and Themes. Woo is free, but it's also a bit under-featured, and that lack of functionality is made up by specific-purpose plugins made by a variety of authors. An example: The last site I did was for a wholesaler/importer of European equipment, all of these relatively well known brand names within his industry. The problem? WooCommerce doesn't support Brands as a concept. So we had to buy a plugin. Another example: We ship across Canada+US for the sales made on the site. Woo doesn't support a Tracking Number/Close Order kind of workflow, so I wrote a crappy one that re-purposes Order Notes. Last example: Our (Canadian) Payment Processor had no integration with WooCommerce, so we bought a (really good) plugin that saved me tons of time and headache. Depending on your use-case you're probably going to have to buy some plugins for Woo, or spend some time adding in the functionality you want by hand. What I like about it though is, those plugins are generally flat rate buys. No monthly recurring costs. Themes are the same; if you're super wizardy at WP you can just hack something together with the default themes. Or, you can save time/money and buy one. For me, the best for pay theme I've used on Woo is Flatsome. Lots of built-in shortcodes, grids, sliders, controls, menus, all great stuff. Support is quite good too. A good free theme for Woo in my experience is Customizr, however it's not super user friendly. Basically you're expected to configure everything, and everything you don't configure you'll have to hand-style/code using the (relatively elegant) Bootstrap implementation underlying it. It takes a bit of tweaking (think messing with grid height, corner style, etc.) but you can get a nice looking site out of it.
2)Generally if a theme says it supports WooCommerce, it'll work for it in my experience. What's nice with the free ones is that you can just install them, see what it looks like, and then mess around/change to another theme, without really "losing" anything since your product/logic stuff is abstracted out.
3)Good plugins for Woo are going to depend on functionality. For my last three projects I've used these (all free): Abandoned Cart Lite for Woo, All In One Scheme.org Rich Snippets (might not be necessary for a bespoke product like baking), Better Wordpress Google XML Sitemaps (Webmaster Tools bait basically), Booster for Woocommerce (a bunch of pricing/shipping/cart functionality, some useful some not), Ninja Forms (pretty good basic form creator/handler), The SEO Framework (basic set and forget SEO plugin), WooCommerce Conversion Tracking (Google analytics conversion metrics for ecommerce specific targets), YITH Ajax Search, YITH Gift Cards, YITH Wishlist, WP All Import - WooCommerce (so I can create products in Excel instead of in Woo interface; generally only needed if you're doing 100s of products at once).
4)Setting up a new Woo is basically broken down into two big things: 1)styling/aesthetics/photoshop/css'ing and 2)data entry for products. Buying a pro theme cuts down on 1) considerably, but not much will help you with 2). I've down a small Woo (~40 products) in about 20 hours, but that was bare minimum, and was actually more of a conversion of an existing property so all the information I needed was already present.

Now for what you're asking for features wise.
- Minimum order qty: There's plugins that do this (https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/woocommerce-incremental-product-quantities/ note: I have not used this). There's also a Minimum Order Amount ($$$) option in the Booster plugin above.
- Pickup locations could be done with a thing called Shipping Zones, where you set up say 4 shipping methods called Local Pickup - (Location 1), Local Pickup - (Location 2), etc. Automatic assignment/notification of those orders to those locations would have to occur separately, or maybe there's a plugin that does it? Worst case is each bakery can log into the Orders section of the site; there's a column that lists the shipping method and they could pick up their own orders that way.
- Credit card processing requires a payment processor of some kind. Usually, for a real world case, you can piggy back on their existing processor. For example if they use Chase Paymentech as their in-store POS processor, you can also use Chase online. This could be the sticking point actually, depending on how big/good/popular your payment processor is, and is usually the cause of a plugin purchase. At worst, Woo can default to PayPal/PayPal Express pretty well out of the box. The latter does not require SSL (since everything gets thrown to PayPal) and can be a good testing/starting point. If their in-store processor is totally worthless you can go Stripe/Braintree/etc. quite easily, but it really makes financial sense to only be paying a percentage/per order fee to one processor in the business.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

simcole posted:

Wonderful write up. I appreciate the amount of time that must have taken you. I'm pretty good at setting up the themes/coding but I do love a good theme to save lots of time. It seems I need to do a potential test install on my development site and see what's what. The plugins are the interesting thing. There are tons and I'll have to make sure the ones I select will work. I REALLY appreciate you listing all the plugins you use. I see the Local Pickup plugin, the minimum order, etc. I think this will work nice.

I think I'm doing to dip my toes into this one and see how I come out. Again, Bravo at the writeup! I'll post another question if I get stuck. I'm going to budget 40 hours roughly to start/learn.

Yeah that's basically how I started; get it going on Localhost. The newer IIS will even run php/wp on Windows with a relatively clean Web Deploy package instead of having to screw around with WAMP/LAMP if you're on Windows.

If you're going to mess with the Woo appearance stuff all their templates are in the /plugins/woocommerce/template folder. Also make sure after setup to go into WP Settings and WooCommerce settings to figure out your permalink/home page/shop page stuff before committing to anything else.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Soylent Pudding posted:

I'm a CS student with no web design experience. I've been volunteering with a local 501(c)(3) and at some point before I graduate I would like to roll out a new website for them. Does the thread have any recommendations on the best resources for teaching myself how to do this or advice before I commit myself to a project like this?

Do you mean "design" in the sense of aesthetics, graphics, readability, photoshop, css, etc. or in the sense of "I've never touched HTML/PHP/ASP" (e.g. because your degree is entirely in ASM/Objective C and compiler optimization)? Because if it's the former, you can do a lot with Wordpress and a freebie theme. The theme kind of handles basic layout issues that you can just slap a logo onto and insert images into. Or hell, use Drupal/Django/etc. if you're feeling salty, though the theme developer audience is less developed.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Soylent Pudding posted:

I mean design in the sense that I've never touched HTLM/PHP/ASP. The closest I've come was database class, but I worked solely on the SQL database and other team members did the PHP front end. Basically I want to start learning website development because it's going to be at least a year before I can take any classes on it. I figured building a new website here would be a good project to focus on but I'm unsure of what to look at to start learning.

Hmm, that one's tougher. On the one hand I want to say "just start throwing together stuff in HTML" so you learn the basics, but on the other, almost no one does that any more so I'm not sure if that's a basic that's worth learning. If you have a relatively defined project of static content like you say, I'd still suggest mucking about with WordPress. Get it installed on local and try to brain your way through this:
https://codex.wordpress.org/First_Steps_With_WordPress

Concentrate on getting a lot of content into it first, then you'll have lots of stuff to play around with in regards to styling, menu building, etc etc.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

It's actually an interesting question from a pedagogical standpoint; obviously there is value in knowing how to HTML and style things. But when's the last time you did so from scratch without using any interim/generation tools? Like I remember when IE3 came out and TABLEs were suddenly a big deal (and JPGs!), so obviously I have a grounding in the basics, perhaps too basic. But for people getting into it fresh new, what's the compelling use case for learning HTML and writing it from scratch? I think the most HTML I've written in the last few years has been essentially article level formatting, and the most CSS has been menu tweaking. If anything raw HTML has become something of an adjunct to authoring tools in a way; when's the last time you opened up a new file and started typing "<HTML>...</HTML>"?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

kedo posted:

Even if you're using Angular or WordPress or whatever framework/CMS/tool, you're still probably writing at least some structural HTML. If you didn't have a solid grounding in how and why it works the way it does, wouldn't it make your job a lot harder?

Oh yeah, and I'm not arguing against it even. But I don't think I've written my own <HTML>, <HEAD>, and <BODY> information in a dog's age, which is a significant (thought not total) part of HTML. It seems like everything up until the first <div class="content"> is getting handled for you now by various tools, and the lumbering ever-expanding CSS/Javascript juggernaut handles everything else. Another example is that I haven't used TABLE in forever either, because CSS columns are pretty cool. Or <IFRAME>. I think the only old school HTML only structures I use on the reg are:
- <Hx> (hilariously only for the obsolete SEO intangibles that people insist on having; formatting wise CSS handles anything H does)
- <p>/<br/>
- <ul>/<ol>/<li>
- <div>
- <strong>/<em>

That might be though that I'm not really a display guy, having come up through databases/server side, and am a weak scrub compared to the rest of you.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Google Apps for Business is pretty good for email, I've used it/set it up for probably 4 different clients. What's nice is you can end run into Google Drive/Docs and avoid DropBox for file sharing/local file servers as well. Google Calendar is a bit harder to get everyone adopted on, but I believe it works better for iPhones now than it did a couple years ago last time I tried. We used to use Google Talk quite a lot internally but the move to Hangouts basically killed that, and since then I've been mostly suggesting Slack. In all these cases I don't manage any emails (I am apparently a higher class of freelancer than fuf ;)), the Google interface is simple and powerful enough that once whoever is "in charge" actually gets in there a little lightbulb goes off and they want to manage it themselves. That might be from working mostly in startups though.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

too me, agreed I am my friend

blessings of god be with you

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Won't that just result in file locks anyway? e.g. 2 people do it at once, which one gets incremented?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Odd question; I'm doing some side-work for a startup company (retail/brick and mortar, not internet, they already have 2 locations) and I'm bothered by their email signatures. They are big, ugly, clunky, and look like crap when quoted in gmail or in a webmail client (e.g. HORDE). Normally I wouldn't care as much, but they've also requested that I start putting an approved sig block on my own emails when using me@theircompany.com.

So the question is; are HTML email signatures "solved" yet? Responsive? Less broken images? Doesn't add a half dozen attachments to the email? Works on phones, gmail, etc?

I found these two paid options, which I'm not willing to pay for:
https://www.zippysig.com/
http://medialoot.com/item/responsive-email-signature-template/

And this crazy npm package which requires installing a bunch of stuff seems overkill:
https://www.npmjs.com/package/responsive-html-email-signature

As well as numerous "free" generators that are too simplistic/look like crap.

Is there some kind of known good solution, or just crap something out by running it through a MailChimp template or something? I'm not afraid to make my own, but just want to know if there's a firm set of rules about how you actually do it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

TeenageArchipelago posted:

So, I am a college student, and I have some web dev experience through internships, but I was looking to expand my skill base while making a project website. What would be a useful/marketable framework to develop a site that's primary purpose is to stream audio? Think something like Pandora.

Not a hell of a lot. Media/transcoding servers are still kind of off in their own little world. I think Red5 is still free, but it requires Java and is a bitch and a half to get configured and running, and it doesn't play well with out of the box shared/virtual hosting environments. Also most of these solutions are A)java and B)kind of framework agnostic, meaning it doesn't matter if you Laravel (lol) or Cake or Symfony or Ruby or what have you feeding into them.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeeep that's Magento. Still better than Net Suite. I can't remember who said it, but years back we were talking about the Firefox 3D Dom inspector (which doesn't exist anymore) in the Code that makes you Cry thread and someone put it "Look at a Net Suite site in that 3D inspector in Firefox. So many superfluous embedded tables, rising like goddamn mountains of failure as high as the sky".

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Munkeymon posted:

I thought it was still in there as of, uh, last year, maybe? I'd check now but the AV on this thing kills FF on sight for some reason.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Tools/3D_View

quote:

From Firefox 47 onwards, 3D view is no longer available.

There is an add-on that offers the same functionality: Tilt 3D. However, note that just like the built-in version, the add-on does not work in multiprocess Firefox.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Any of you guys use multi-SSL on an IP using SNI? I looked into it a couple years ago but it seemed like browser adoption rates argued against doing it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

MrMoo posted:

Windows XP was the blocker, no problem now though.

Well HostGator (ssshh not my decision) says they can set it up so fingers crossed.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Really not a fan of Drupal, to the point where I turn down work on it (more for Kedo right?). I haven't got too deep into it, mostly just glorified brochure-ware stuff for some local non-profits. I used to work with a guy and he's got a 20 person company now just doing Drupal projects, mostly for institutional sized non-profits (think like Sun Run, Bill+Melinda gates Foundation, etc.). It's big with companies with a lot of money and little profit motive ;)

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I don't know how many of you guys are ecommerce based, but maybe keep an eye on "too good to be true" orders for a while, as the normal Q4 fraud season is starting up again. Be especially wary of orders from Florida in the states and Quebec in Canada. Seen about $100,000 combined across several client properties in the last two weeks.

Just burns my butt we can't get any of these people arrested, since I have all the info: a phone number, an ip address, and a shipping address, enough at least to start an investigation. But since it's all cross border, the local law enforcement doesn't care, and national law enforcement only cares about the big stuff.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah I've implemented it a few times (as Verified by Visa/Mastercard Securecode/AMEX Safekey), usually with a custom XML handler of some kind. The idea is that a transaction is verified by 3 different interest holders using a verification scheme (password, token, etc.) specific to the card being used. Those gobbledygook domains are usually some kind of outsourced third party since every single crappy little bank that issues cards doesn't have the IT infrastructure to support the authentication server, and most of the big banks are all using the same third party mega company (emv I think). They used to be hot on it (I remember Visa required it at some point for level 1 processors), but the whole standard is in specifications hell right now apparently with some guys using version 1.0 and other guys investing in draft versions of 2.0. In my opinion from a security standpoint it's basically another CVV check that goes through different servers. Again, in my opinion, it was a flawed idea and execution resulting in end-user resentment from an extra step, an actual reduction of confidence due to the weird interstitial domains, and introduced yet another point at which MiTM can happen without any tangible benefit. Others might disagree though.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Woo big ol DDOS today:
http://gizmodo.com/this-is-probably-why-half-the-internet-shut-down-today-1788062835

All the sites I work on are okay, but their hosts' site and management interfaces are MIA. This includes BlueHost, HostGator, PayPal and Braintree. Luckily I'm in Canada so the major payment processors are still online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Not sure if you want to go down that road, but the Gypsy Sally calendar looks like it's either a Wordpress calender plugin of some kind (they are running Wordpress), or more likely, some functionality they are getting from their ticketing partner TicketFly (check this page out, has similar fly out functionality: http://linkshall.ticketfly.com/calendar/)

You could do your site in Wordpress pretty quick if you know it, and relatively quick if you don't. Whether you actually want to take that on though...

EDIT: Nice, their calendar even has microformat support. This can be great for local search/mobile search:
https://developers.google.com/search/docs/data-types/events

Scaramouche fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 25, 2016