Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bastard
Jul 13, 2001

We are each responsible for our own destiny.
I hate making HTML mails. I have always hated them. I will always hate them. I hate the clients that request them. I hate the project managers that approve them. I hate the designers who make them. I hate the 1001 email clients that have a 1002 ways to render the HTML. I will crush the designer's hand that created that dropshadow effect around the rounded corner with overlaying ribbon. I will spit acid in the face of the project manager who said it could be done in an hour and then went home for the day. I will burn down the client's agency building, and bask in the glory of their eternal screams.

I am a webdeveloper who had a lovely day, and this is my creed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bastard
Jul 13, 2001

Try this manual on how to use Gulp, a build tool which can automate a lot of build things, including watching and compiling .scss files

http://travismaynard.com/writing/getting-started-with-gulp

Also, this command

quote:

npm install -g bower grunt-cli

Tells NPM (NodeJS Package Manager) to globally install -g (i.e. system-wide instead of just in the current directory) the packages Bower (frontend package manager) and grunt-cli, a javascript task runner/automation system.

As for Libsass/SassC/Compass, sass compilers come in 2 flavors: ruby and C. Compass uses the Ruby version, LibSass uses the C version (sassC). It can be a bit overwhelming at first, especially if you aren't used to these workflow, but in the end it's really worth it. I have to admit that it's a lot easer to do all this on OSX though.

Bastard
Jul 13, 2001

substitute posted:

Webdrive to map an SFTP/SSH connection to the dev server(s) in Windows Explorer, rarely to a live server. FileZilla when uploading edits to live servers (deliberately, since you have to pay attention).

Yes drat it, we have no source control in place. Other than daily backups, and the plugin I run in Sublime that backs up a file on every save.

Please look into version control and deployment services. They make everything soooooo much better.

Bastard
Jul 13, 2001

substitute posted:

Please email everyone in my department and tell them we're developmentally stunted. I've try mentioning things in round-a-bout ways, emailing links to examples, suggestions etc., and sometimes straight-up pushing for certain things, but since we're all technically under/in a marketing department, too many (non-developer) people need simple access to web assets. It's a slow and difficult progression to make things better around here. And then there's a jackass consultant that tries to wrangle control over everything, making everything possibly from scratch (for total control), re-inventing the wheel, re-inventing the hammer and chisel, and posturing with pseudo-intellectual bullshit to look smarter than you. If this person was gone, I would have a much easier process, and better practices in place at work honestly.

I am so, so sorry for you :ohdear:

Bastard
Jul 13, 2001

supermikhail posted:

Chrome after a while stops reloading JavaScript and gets it from the cache which is annoying when I'm editing it (supposedly it's not just JavaScript, but this is what's annoying). How do you work this thing? (Right now I "Clear Browsing Data").

Open DevTools, click on the gear icon, enable the "Disable cache (while DevTools is open)" option.

Bastard
Jul 13, 2001

supermikhail posted:

:tipshat: I'm a moron.

Not really, I've met quite a few developers who didn't know that option existed. Most just use the elements, network and console tabs for basic debugging usage, while DevTools offers so much more. :)

Bastard
Jul 13, 2001

ufarn posted:

That's a lot of files, though, but of course, if you're dealing with a ridiculous code base - especially one you're breaking down to understand - it's probably not the worst idea to have a rule stating that you shouldn't have any one SCSS file over X lines of code.

I wish most of the projects I work on have as few files as that one. Another nice advantage of using a lot of files with little content instead of a few big ones: less chance of pesky merge conflicts :argh:

Bastard
Jul 13, 2001

It's monday, I come into the office, all fresh and roaring to go after a sunny weekend: "Hey Bastard, we need you to transform this design with extruding ribbons, custom fonts etc into an html email. Needs to work in pretty much all mail clients as well"

Now I know how deer feel when they see those headlights of impending doom barreling towards them.

Bastard
Jul 13, 2001

kedo posted:

Make it one big image. I don't see what the problem is. :colbert:

It has several items with different links and text, and needs to be reused every month.

gmq posted:

Mailrox has saved my sanity more than once. Sure, I can do them by hand but ugh gently caress spending hours debugging tables.

I've tried Mailrox before, but somehow it never quite produced the results I expected/wanted, and the resulting tables were too convoluted to debug. But still, doing all the tables manually isn't that bad. What's bad is Outlook. Goddamn, I can't remember quite how it went because I'm trying to forget this day by drinking, but it was something like this:

2002 - as expected
2003 - as expected
2007 - extra margin/padding or removed margin/padding, font is missing.
2010 - as expected
2013 - see 2007

It makes no sense at all.

Bastard
Jul 13, 2001

One of the problems (at least where I work) isn't really the email clients weirdness, I can sort of deal with that. It's the sales/management team. Every time we tell them that making HTML emails is a time consuming job, and they need to give us more time, or at least reduce the amount of clients in the requirements. Every time we get ignored because they can't sell the amount of hours we need. Or in their words: "I don't think you need that many hours for a simple email, you get <X>".

But the imagemap suggestions sounds neat, I'll have a look into that one. :)

Bastard
Jul 13, 2001

Web fonts + chrome + windows = oh god why do I have to explain this font rendering issue to these people :gonk:

Bastard
Jul 13, 2001

Munkeymon posted:

I'd like to change out a Font Awesome icon based on a parent class. So something like
HTML code:
<div class='on'>
   <i class="fa fa-toggle[-on|-off]"></i>
   <!-- other things affected by on-ness are also here -->
</div>
And can't think of a way to do this without integrating bits of the FA CSS into my own, which strikes me as a bad idea.

As already said, use sass or less. If you want to go reeeeealy quick and dirty, just use multiple classes and hide/show them based on the parent state, like so: http://jsfiddle.net/vwz0xucz/

Bastard
Jul 13, 2001

If you're willing to pay for it, you can also use something like Beanstalk or Deployhq for your deployments (beanstalk does both git hosting + deployments, deployhq only does deployments).

Bastard
Jul 13, 2001

Lumpy posted:

Do I *need* Gulp? Not at all. Is it nice to not have to manually compile SASS / convert JSX 85761242315321 times an hour? Hell yeah.

Do you really manually compile each and every change? This is why you create a grunt/gulp watch task. Nevermind, I misread :downs:

Bastard
Jul 13, 2001

What's the consensus on using flexbox nowadays? caniuse.com says the support is generally pretty good, and it's just for an small(ish) desktop/mobile app I'm working on for a local gym, but recent experiments with android devices and flexbox left me somewhat...concerned.

Bastard
Jul 13, 2001

The Wizard of Poz posted:

I wouldn't use it without at least checking a site's browser demographic beforehand. I haven't done a lot with flexbox - what did you find in Android, I'm interested?

First one is easy: all modern/most used browsers so IE10 and up, latest version of Chrome, FF, Safari, iOS and Android. The thing I encountered in Android was that while it worked on the iPhone and desktop, on the Android device (a Galaxy I think) it basically looked like somebody unsuccessfully played Jenga with the DOM structure :saddowns:. Everything was just all over the place.

But then again, that was late at night so I'll have a crack at it again sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bastard
Jul 13, 2001

caiman posted:

Now awaiting all the reasons to not use Wordpress.

If you are a developer and like working with a reasonable codebase? ;)

In my experience, if a client just wants to update some content pages and perhaps a blog/news system, sure, Wordpress will do fine. When they want something that Wordpress doesn't do out of the box and you need to dive into the whole plugin structure, run away. Never have I been so completely frustrated and burned as when working with Wordpress plugins.