Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Thermopyle posted:

Facebook uses PHP.

They used to. I think some stuff still runs a homegrown version, but (and I could be mistaken) that more and more of their stuff was not running PHP any more.

Here's some info: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/facebook/why-facebook-hasnt-ditched-php/9536

that article posted:

There is also a lot of industry precedent indicating that re-writing an entire codebase in another language is usually one of the worst things you can do, so at all levels there is a reluctance to do that. The preferred strategy is to write new components in a de-coupled manner using a better language of choice (C++, python, Erlang, Java, etc); this is easily facilitated by Facebook's early development of thrift, an efficient multi-language RPC framework. This also helps avoid the worst effects of PHP: it can be totally avoided in subcomponents where the language is grossly-unsuitable. The broad effect is that the overall codebase slowly evolves away from depending as heavily on PHP, with the components that are still in PHP being written in tightly-controlled, disciplined ways by veteran members of the staff.

Hmm, so they do still use it more than I thought. Interesting!

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Thermopyle posted:

The only reason people act like they'll get cooties is because there's like 2500:1 PHP developers versus other developers all over the internet. So, when someone says HOW I MAEK WEB SITEZ, PHP inevitably gets recommended.

Well said. PHP in and of itself is not the devil (although some would argue that), and you certainly can write clean, well thought out code in it. So I guess the biggest "problem" with PHP is that it's rare you live on an island where you are the only developer. Since PHP makes it easy to write awful code, and it's "baby's first webz language" the hell of PHP is mainly other people, and the code they write. Which you then have to debug. Or support, or...

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Authentic You posted:

just moved into UI/UX from an industrial design degree with graphic design and web design/dev experience post graduation (I actually haven't done any meaningful industrial design since graduating, but alas). I've been thinking about the HCI masters -

Are you me?

I'm suffering the bane of being "pretty good at everything" and so I'm the UI designer, graphic designer, project lead, architect, and lead developer on every project I work on. Which sucks, because it's so hard to give each of these things the attention they deserve when you are doing them all (usually at the same time) and I also find limiting myself because of time constraints (strangely enough, when I do 5 jobs at once, I'm not given 500% more time!) and because while I'm designing, I am worried "will I have time to develop this", so the UI suffers.

I've been really considering getting a masters in HCI, or just forcing myself to get a new job and *focus* on one area. The problem is, I love developing too... :sigh:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Rubies posted:

Sorry if this is amateur hour stuff, but I'm having trouble deciding what I should do for a mobile version of a site. It's a pretty simple site but I just need to take out one of those full body backgrounds because it looks weird on different phones depending on browser, and there's some minor issues on tablets. Basically I want to know if I should try to load different stylesheets like some sites say, or just do a quick [url]http://[/url]m.thesiteimmaking.com or whatever. And what is the best detection method for mobile users? Thanks.

Use media queries and adjust for mobile in the same style sheet:

CSS code:
body {
  background: #0f0; // or your image or whatever
}

@media only screen and (max-width: 767px) {
  body {
    background: #00f; // remove image or set different one...
  }
}

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Oh My Science posted:

I'm actually fairly impressed with Flywheel, if anyone wants to give it a shot I snagged some extra beta codes.

wbpvd
98k3p
7bx8v
739nr
r8jn6
fahyu
9w7r9
pcdfv
jpah7
wv3hq
evgcv

Please indicate which code you take so I can cross them off when taken.

Perfect timing, as I may pick up some freelance gigs pooping out WP sites. I used 9w7r9. Thanks!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Reo posted:

I posted a thread in SH/SC but it may be more of a web designer question.

Can someone tell me whether PNG images can be in the CMYK colorspace? In my impression GIFs and PNGs must be RGB... but I'm not an expert.

PNG cannot be in CYMK.

some :words: to support that: http://www.prepressure.com/library/file-formats/png

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Transmogrifier posted:

A fellow intern and I have been trying to find an answer to this. It's probably obvious but not to us. A client wants to receive an email notification whenever a file is uploaded (successfully) to their server. We're not necessarily looking for the uploaded item to be attached but just an email saying something along the lines of 'filename.filetype uploaded at time' or something like that. So far all I've managed to find is the standard contact form information, which I think isn't what we need. Any suggestions/help?

Run a cron job on the server that looks for files modified after the last time the cron job ran (a find command will do this for you) and poop out an email with the list if there were any results.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

The Merkinman posted:

What's a "best practice" when it comes to amount of JavaScript on a page? Client wanted yet another carousel (in addition to the two existing ones) but upon initializing the third I now get the unresponsive JavaScript popup in Firefox referring to jQuery.
If I search for .js I see 20 external .js files
If I search for simply <script, I get 48 results. Yes I realized this includes the aforementioned 20.
Is this too much JavaScript on a single page?

Some of the JavaScript is social buttons and tracking.

Yes, it is. Combine and minify. Adding another of a component that's already on the page should add no code though... just one line to instantiate using the plugin / object that is creating the others.

Obligatory: http://shouldiuseacarousel.com/

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

fuf posted:

I've just discovered http://www.google.com/fonts and it seems like a pretty ideal way of allowing unconventional fonts.

I vaguely remember some controversy about web fonts. Is there anything I should look out for? Is there a proportion of users it won't work for?

Just make sure you are checking for its impact on page load. Including many faces, or many variants of a single face (or both) can really slow things down.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

DreadCthulhu posted:

Could someone explain a typical basic server-side html form verification flow to me plz?

Is it:

Submit POST from the HTML form -> server determines form is incorrect, returns 400 with page updated with previously input form text/choices and incorrect fields highlighted with CSS -> user updates fields, rePOSTs -> server validates correct, 20x to a confirmation page -> confirmation page <meta> redirects to home page?

There's more than one way to skin that cat, but a widely used pattern is:

Form is POSTed to itself. --> Server decides if input is valid --> If NOT VALID, form re-rendered with previous inputs (with error highlighting on bad ones) --> if form WAS VALID a redirect (302, I think, but double check.. I let my frameworks figure that out for me) is made to the success page.

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Sep 26, 2013

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Uziel posted:

Thank you, this is very helpful.
My initial reaction is that there are a few levels:
1.) The timeframe name which is a link.
2.) The total
3.) The numbers that comprise that total (real, fake, built, scheduled, buffer)
4.) The job, tech and contractor counts.

I'll look at organizing them so that the hierarchy is visually shown.

Here's a too-fast visual stab at what Skiant posted. Info is consistent, the times and "important" number jump out visually. Layout for one hour box shifts (inline-block hooray!) but keeps the same "feel".

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

wwb posted:

Drupal specific question but I can't find that thread so I'll just ask here -- how bad is it not to have a salt in your configuration?

If said salt is part of the password hashing process, then it can range from "bad" to "oh man, you are hosed".

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

wwb posted:

I presumed that range though I can at least say there aren't public logins on this site so we are probably more "bad" than "hosed".

Corollary question is "what happens when we add one to a running instance?"

That will largely depend on your backend. I don't know squat about Drupal, but some systems sore hashed passwords along with the individual salt for that record and the hash method (either directly in the password entry, or elsewhere in the system.) If Drupal is such a system, the answer would be "nothing". If Drupal is doing something like using the same salt for every password, it may not be that smart, and then the answer would likely be "nobody would be able to log in except new accounts."

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

The Merkinman posted:

What's the right way to do breakpoints and/or how are they done in Foundation?
I know the new thought is make breakpoints based on your layout, not device. Problem is breakpoints are "max-width:800px" and with 4-5" phones and 7,10" tablets having higher resolutions than laptops wouldn't it result in no recent device getting a small form factor layout?

Design for tiny screens first. Expand your browser window. When you think things "look dumb", set a breakpoint. Make things look not dumb. Expand your window more...

Basically let the content determine your breakpoints, not just default to 320/480/768/+ without thinking about it.

Here's an article that says that much better than I did, with pictures! http://www.creativebloq.com/responsive-web-design/determining-breakpoints-responsive-design-8122871

EDIT: Things with "retina" displays return their effective resolution, not their "real" resolution. So an iPhone 4 with twice the pixel density of an iPhone 3GS will still hit the same breakpoints even though "technically" it's a 640x960 device.

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 29, 2013

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Fisticuffs posted:

Have any of you actually learned to code using one of the websites in the OP? I'm going through CodeAcademy now(I've completed their HTML and Java sections, working on Ruby). As a complete newbie to programming I found it somewhat helpful but I would say I am still firmly in the beginner stage of learning how to work with these languages.

I really liked CodeAcademy's interactive setup, and prefer it to using textbooks, which I've struggled with in the past. Is there something available that's similar to CodeAcademy that has more difficult problems? I've looked at their user-submitted content but I am a bit wary of taking on lessons that aren't really vetted; I don't want to pick up a bunch of lovely habits. For anyone that has tried CodeAcademy, what would you recommend as the next step?

E: I like your advice OMS, I'll try just starting a project or joining one while utilizing some of the books and resources I already do have.

To reiterate what Oh My Science said, you can pick up syntax and some concepts form those beginner sites (which is a good thing), but you learn to program by solving real problems with code. Find something you really want to exist that doesn't yet, and make it. Maybe start small, but make sure it's something you will find useful or interesting when it's done; that will keep you working at it.

Have others look at your code while you learn, as you get the benefit of their experience as well as the experience you are gaining.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I'm going to be designing a web UI for "event management", creating events with start / end dates and a bunch of other related data. Anyone know of any well-done solutions for me to look at? Obviously I've checked out a bunch of calendaring tools as they have similar functionality, but they all seem to use very similar patterns, and while it's a good solution, I'd like to see something different / out of the box that solves the problem well. Suggestions?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

fletcher posted:

What do you guys do to keep your CSS organized?

LESS. One file for reset / normalization, one file for variables, one file for "base" typography, one file for everything else, with an optional file for responsive rules if having it in the "everything else" file makes it too big.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Pollyanna posted:

w3's tutorials on CSS mention predefining the margins and padding due to something something IE doesn't work. Is there a shortcut for this so that I don't have to write "body{margin:0; padding:0;}" for each file I make? Or do I just make a .predef class for HTML/body?

Do you mean "every CSS file"? Then no, you only have to do it in a single file. Most people have a standard reset or normalize file they include in every single site they make which has the basics in it, and is included before everything else. Then the "real" CSS goes in a file (or files) that are specific to that project.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

cbirdsong posted:

Yeah, after using both, I think I greatly prefer Normalize. Normalize is a scalpel, Eric Meyer’s Reset is a sledgehammer.

It depends greatly on the design of the site in question. I use Normalize "mostly" but for those sites where "MAKE IT LOOK JUST LIKE THE PHOTOSHOP WHY IS THAT 2PX OFF OMG!@!!!" is sadly in play, a reset work for me better as a starting point.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

fletcher posted:

In the "one file for everything else" - is there a sort of structure to it? Or just grouping related things together?

Definitely. This will vary on the site, but I have internal sections to the file, with an "index" at the top so I can press '%' in VIM on it and jump down to it. For example, I'm in the process of re-doing my own site right now, and my index looks something like:

code:
= STRUCTURE
-- containers
-- grid
= TYPOGRAPHY
-- general
-- specific
= ELEMENTS
= COMPONENTS
= BLOG
-- lists
= RESPONSIVE

There isn't that much CSS, but I find using an index like that helps me find things fast, and sort of forces me to think about the rules I am making. The "Do I need this, if so, where does it belong..." conversation I have to have with myself keeps me from just tacking on one-off rules at the bottom of the file out of habit.

Hey, I think I'll make my 2nd blog post be all about that!

If I ever I finish the site... :smith:

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 23, 2013

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Pollyanna posted:

I had to look up something about using tables as a way of centering the navigation. Maybe horizontal lists isn't the easiest way to do it...but at least it works!

You don't need to use table-like properties for that FYI: http://jsfiddle.net/Qu3zz/ (there are other ways of doing this also])

Some other comments:

• Don't wrap things in DIVs for no reason. <div><h1>blah</h1></div> is pointless. Just use the H1. You could wrap the H1 in a HEADER technically for semantic purposes, but that DIV is pointless.
  • Your css LINK should be inside the HEAD
  • Get rid of that BR after the project list. That's putting presentation ("I want whitespace") in your markup. Use CSS to add bottom margin or padding.

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 23, 2013

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

kedo posted:

So speaking of CSS/SCSS organization, how do you guys organize media queries? I can never decide if it's better to work them into the original declaration for an element or to break them out afterwards in one big chunk.

To me the first method seems preferable because it keeps all of an element's styles in one spot in the document, but it also clutters up your CSS with a slew of extra media query lines. The second option saves a bit of space by lumping all the queries together, but is harder to navigate.

Thoughts?

I mostly do the 2nd one, as I generally don't have that may exceptions in my responsive design (case in point: my new personal site has a grand total of seven selectors that need responsive rules across two media queries) so it's much easier to keep them grouped at the bottom. I imagine if for some reason I needed a bagillion selectors requiring changes, I would probably prefer the other method.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Pollyanna posted:

This is prolly a dumb-assed question, but...where do I learn how to make slick-looking websites like sidebar.io? Right now my poo poo looks like this. Is there a compendium of design tips somewhere?

edit the answer is sidebar.io isn't it :(

Yes. Read all the design links like this: http://www.visualmess.com/

Make your site with nothing but black & white typography and whitespace. Once it looks good then, add colors.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

The Merkinman posted:

I have two, completely different questions. One design one development.

Design:
Say a new site is being worked on by a designer. Should it first go to other designers for input/approval and then User Testing, or User Testing and then other designers?

Do you mean User Interface Design, or Graphic Design? I assume the former, since you mention User Testing, but in my experience, you do designer review first, then user testing, and then more designer review in most cases. Designers will be able to quickly point out stuff that's "obvious" and offer suggestions on the product before you stick it in front of users. This should be on-going through out the design process preferably. Once other designers say "good enough", you do the more involved user testing bit, and you see where the pain points are. Then you work on those, and show your solutions to other designers who quickly point out obvious stuff...

As with most "design" things, there's no absolute right way to do it, other than to make sure you do it.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

FamDav posted:

If I am given a css class for a sprite (background, offsets) , is there any way to add another class which refines the offset so it gives me some subportion of the sprite?

edit: assume that all i know is the absolute height and width of the sprite when i am building the second class.

The use case is so I dont have to make the user of something do additional work for their sprites.

Yes, there is. Make sure the "helper" rule comes after the original. I'm bit unclear on what you mean by "subportion" but you will be able to change the offset for sure, but the visible "window" of the sprite may or may not be able to be changed in that same selector. Can you post code / example?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

fletcher posted:

I've been playing around with trying to do some responsive design stuff, wanted to see if anybody had any feedback for me on this little example: http://codepen.io/anon/pen/JwIsz

My only suggestion is do "mobile first". Use responsive rules to handle wider viewports when your content looks "lost" in a wide viewport, or you can fit additional non-essential functionality in because of all the extra room. Also, people's eyes do not magically become better if they are reading on a phone. Your typography still needs to be large enough to be legible.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Pollyanna posted:

Also, I was wondering, why do other programmers (like Java or C++) make fun of web developers?

Because a lot of web developers started as designers, and so don't know much about best practices, and so tend to be 'coding horrors' generators early in their careers. And frequently through the middle and later parts of their careers as well. I like to pretend I'm one of the cut & paste majors that learned enough to not be awful.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

MonkeyMaker posted:

I didn't see one, so I'll ask. Is there a Node thread?

Lots of folks also ask Node question in the Javascript thread.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Pollyanna posted:

Okay, while I'm in the middle of reading the stuff I got linked, I tried my hand at putting my resume online. I made a really, really, really basic layout and a not-offensive looking font choice.

Am I on the right track here? Obviously it's really simple, but I think that's better for resumes. What can I do better/what can I add?

Definitely "pretty good", which is better than 90% of most of the resume stuff I've seen. You may want to explore a littel bit of color and spacing to differentiate different types of information. I changed a few things in dev tools to give a visual example, and attached what it looks like on one bit and (most of) what I changed in there.

What I did and why:

- Changed typeface on "section headers" because there was a lot of black, bold helvetica all together, and the transition was lost a little. This pops out the section visually a bit.

- Moved the date to it's own line and differentiated it. I read resumes frequently at work, and scanning the dates of job history / experience is something I do a lot when looking at them. This keeps it near the "job" but makes it clear that's a different type of information (date vs. title) and makes it easy to scan between blocks and pick up the date due to the subtle color change.

- Added space between list items. They were crammed next to each other and hurt my eyes.

- Made bullets square. Because that's the way the should be with your typeface.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

But I want a new HTML5 website! It should look just like the old one, and no functionality needs to change, but it has to be HTML 5. Can you do that?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

caiman posted:

I'm beginning work as a freelance web designer, and I've decided to give my clients the option to have a CMS. Now I'm trying to decide which platform to teach myself and use. I'm debating between Wordpress and Drupal. My main requirement is the ability to create completely unique, non cookie-cutter websites. My other main requirement is ease of content management for the client. Which do you guys suggest?

If you have to pick one, pick Wordpress. It's less awful and is impossibly popular.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

supermikhail posted:

On that note, is there any point to using the input type "search"?

Sort answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yes; in good browsers, you get additional built-in functionality like remembering previous terms, a clear button, etc.

Also, read this then look at your CSS. Pull common stuff into classes.

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 16, 2013

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

pipebomb posted:

re: notes for the 'designer'. He got mad, called the owner. Said he was a graphics artist(è) and that he had no idea about all of the 'code' I had sent him. Brain.is.leaking.

Use my billboard analogy. If this artist was hired to design a billboard and delivered a square aspect ratio RGB file 720px by 720px they would either have to re-do it, or they would not be paid. Why is it acceptable to ignore the constraints the web imposes on design?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

supermikhail posted:

Inline-block? It seems kind of dumb to have a class called "inline-block", because I don't see any other common elements, except maybe "cursor", but can an element be of two classes?

Anyway, http://cdpn.io/itkpA I've also pasted in my jQuery... because I don't know when to stop.

I was thinking more along the lines of the repeated border instances, and the same magic numbers being in multiple places and so on. If you decide to change the '405px' height you have specified, will you need to update more than one spot? What if you decide eggshell is better than white for your border color; will you remember to update every spot?

In a tiny example lime this, it may not seem like much, but keeping your CSS modular will save you lots of headaches down the road. And yes, elements can have many classes, so you can do <p class="offset fixed-height some-other-name">blah</p>

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

supermikhail posted:

The white border is my debugging, except for two instances, which I might modify anyway. And the magic numbers are there until I put more effort into aligning everything properly. Not to seem ungrateful, just to clarify things. Thanks for your help. Until next time! Er. I guess I could have commented that it was debugging. Sorry.

That will teach me to try and help people. "Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try"

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

jiggerypokery posted:

Shows how much I know/care about windows!

Rule number one of web development: you'll always have to support at least 6 years back of IE.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Pollyanna posted:

What if I refuse? :colbert:

Then you can enjoy a job in something other than web design and development.*

* Obviously there are rare exceptions.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Pollyanna posted:

That was a joke. (Mostly.)

It can be tough to tell. Every few months we get a serious "nobody should support browsers older than 6 months; if they can't upgrade gently caress them!" post. I thought maybe it was that time again.

IE11 is going auto-update, yes? Just think... In 4 or 5 years we may be unshackled!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

fuf posted:

Thanks for the responses.

I decided to take the plunge and just start building from scratch. I'm borrowing stuff from bootstrap and html5 boilerplate but only when I have a reason to and only when I understand what it's doing.

I'm used to using grunt (and grunt-watch) to compile LESS, but never used livereload before - pretty handy!

What's the issue with LESS compared to other preprocessors? (I guess SASS?) I'm using it just because I'm familiar with it from bootstrap but if there's a good reason to switch then now is probably the time I should do it.

If you like LESS, and it does what you want, then use LESS. If SASS does something you need that LESS doesn't switch. I use LESS because it was around first (I think, maybe I was unaware of the other one) and still do because I haven't had a reason to switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

pipes! posted:

I'm wondering what organizational barriers caused this version to get shipped.

If it's like every other organization on the earth, it's "OK Devs, we have a new project: here's the deadline. Now let's take a look at what we're supposed to make!"