Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

This thread loving owns; so thank you everyone for all the hard work that went into it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Scaramouche posted:

Have a weird CSS question for you eggheads. I've got a setup like this:

My problem is that I would like the background image in headerContainer to be 'on top' of the background color in headerContent, but z-index and !IMPORTANT don't seem to do anything to the sorting. The 'real' solution would be to have the background image inside headerContent, but headerContent is much smaller than the background image, and a background image can't exceed the size of its container. Is there a way to force the headerContainer to sort higher than the headerContent while maintaining this structure? Or am I doomed to having to use an IMG tag instead?

What you want is to apply the CSS for your background-image in "headerContent", and use the background-size property to re-size the background image to fit your parent if it's too large to contain [experimental].

code:

<div class="headerContent" style="background-color:#101010;background-image:url(/blah.jpg);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:center 0px; background-size: 25%;">
However, I would not advise you to continue using inline-CSS styles.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Anyone have experience in learning Objective-J? I'm really excited to dive into this, but want to know if Objective-C or even C++ will be a good precursor to learn.
I took away from the abstract that it's heavily based on Cocoa and Objective-C logic, which I'm at least familiar with but could devote some time to that early if it will benefit me in the long run.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I feel like jQuery and its UI counterpart are an amazing framework, but I'd like to sink my teeth into something a little more comparable to actual object-oriented tendencies. Sadly, I fall into a rut with early antiquated standards in Webdev, having been taught to write entire pages of HTML and CSS out by hand; with more of an emphasis in design. I'd like to get more familiar with the programming side of things so I can improve abilities with more experience in the background functionality.
Objective-J looks to shed a majority of the markup of HTML and CSS, and allow me to experience more than the typical "dynamic" pages I've built by tacking on frameworks and plug-ins. It gives me a complete environment in a language I'm mostly familiar with, to experiment and toy around and hopefully practice more modern web standards in development.
I will definitely brush up on Objective-C, since I'm only competent with C++ and it couldn't hurt to know more about what I'm getting into.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

sim posted:

I don't much about Objective-J, but I would also recommend looking into some JavaScript MVC/MVVM/MVWhatever frameworks like Angular, Ember, Backbone, or full stack options like Node+Express or Meteor. Combined with a UI library like Twitter Bootstrap, you can create a lot of functionality without focusing on the presentation aspect.

Basically already doing that, but instead I'm building the back-end in PHP and syncing views with dynamic UI effects [themes, widgets, AJAX spinners, etc].
I absolutely love the extensibility of PHP's raw power, but they JUST updated php.net and most of their tutorials were long overdue to acknowledge better practices than MySQL and Magic Quotes. I'm not putting a whole ton of faith into Objective-J just yet, but it's caught my interest enough to be able to program something entirely with one language, instead of having to translate between multiple sheets of moon-code.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

http://jsfiddle.net/8gnK6/5/

I made each of those tables "two columns" instead of "six columns".
Screenshot is from Chrome window resized for 400x800.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Video Nasty fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 21, 2014

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Lumpy posted:

In other news:

Somebody finally made a good Bootstrap theme!

https://kristopolous.github.io/BOOTSTRA.386/index.html

I know I'm late but this is insanely cool.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

fuf posted:

Speaking of software:

I've been using Linux for a long time but I'm thinking of switching to Windows, and I'm wondering how I'm gonna preserve some of my workflow. Any Windows users here who still use command line tools like grunt, bower, ssh, git etc? How do you do it? I guess I should just run a virtual linux machine?

I perform some really menial amateur tasks with grunt in Windows. It's all done through CLI and I have a gruntfile.js that provides all the instructions and arguments. I've done some NodeJS work with Windows and like how NPM has played nice so far, but I think I'd drown if I had to do anything complex. The real difficulty curve for me has been learning the filesystem directories that Grunt/NPM/Git/etc use in Win7 and up.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I've been asked to look at a really ancient form that submits data through an

code:
action="mailto:xyz@xyzcorp.com"
I've only ever plugged in php scripts when building (the few) forms I've made, so I'm not super familiar with mailto=.

Am I right in thinking that 'mailto': only really works if you have a default mail client set up (thunderbird or outlook) or are capable of setting up a default email address on Chrome/Firefox?

This is a public facing form, so if that's the case it's not the friendliest way to get form data from our clients.

At least in a Windows environment, clicking a mailto:mail@mail.com hyperlink in a browser will open your default mail client. If you have not set up a default mail client, I believe Windows will try to connect to an outlook server.

edit: in Chrome, I clicked a mailto hyperlink and it opened gMail in a new tab :aaa:

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

If you right-click the image placeholder and choose "copy image url" (Chrome), paste that in your address bar and see where it gets you. It's possible that a BASE HREF is not allowing your paths to resolve correctly, or that the HREF in the image is missing a directory path that leads to the image properly. It could also be an issue where you are not allowing permissions to view the directory the images are stored in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Might be a CSS border-collapse issue. I believe Mozilla handles it differently when it isn't explicit.