Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
Anyone use PHPMailer?

https://github.com/Synchro/PHPMailer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

kedo posted:

Yep, it has existed for ages and is probably the easiest PHP mailing system in existence. It's also pretty extensible, and since it's been around for so long you can find a hundred gillion tutorials on ways to tweak it.

Yeah it looks good. About to start using PHPMailer across multiple sites for my company, and this PDO wrapper as well: https://github.com/mikehenrty/thin-pdo-wrapper

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
Saw the neocities link posted and immediately signed up. Not sure what I'll do with it, but I know everything I upload will be built exclusively using table layouts.

<table width="750" border="1" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0">
<tr><td colspan="2">WELCOME TO THE WORLD WIDE WEB</td></tr>
<tr><td>Oh...</td><td>:hellyeah:</td></tr>
</table>

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

kedo posted:

I'm not sure if it's intentional or not, but the carousel on that site is fast enough that I couldn't finish reading half the quotes. Are they just being meta? I don't know! :psyduck:

I want to believe so. Makes it even better.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

cheese eats mouse posted:

Anyone run into a bug with Sublime Text2 where it doesn't save your files? I had that happen to me on Friday with a site. Made me switch back to Coda. =/

I haven't, but give it another try with this package enabled:

https://github.com/joelpt/sublimetext-automatic-backups

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

Mister Chief posted:

Is there a way to quickly disable it in their developer tools?
I know the web developer plugin has that in the toolbar.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

piratepilates posted:

Can we just scrap everything web and start over again? Burn HTML, burn CSS, burn Javascript, start over again and maybe it can be done right next time.

And... the classic:

http://xkcd.com/927/

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

Sil posted:

Is there a specific term for blog themes/site skins that don't use images? I googled 'imageless theme' and 'font only theme' and nothing really came up, I'm not sure how to even phrase it for the search engine.

The client for the site I'm working on isn't interested in uploading stock images with every post, which leaves me stuck for inspiration(ie. themes to copy from people with actual talent) since everything I see out there is full of carousels and image banners for every blog post.

I apologize if there's an obvious answer that I'm missing(it feels like there must be). At this point I'm looking to have it look mostly like Google or Twitter's blogs, since it's a boring tiny business app anyway.

Try using "typography" as a keyword.

http://www.thebestdesigns.com/design/gallery/typography/

http://stylesinspiration.com/category/typography/

substitute fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 23, 2013

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
Have web design/development conferences been discussed in this thread? Seems like we could share knowledge or experiences, and possible pool together forward thinking trends as they're being presented around at these events.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I'm going to build a site for a professional services firm. I've built lots of sites before, but never with a CMS to be operated by someone else after setup.

It needs the following:

1) Individual professional profiles/biographies.
2) Multiple languages (at least 2 but preferably 4-5) because most of our big clients do not speak English.
3) A blog, to be updated by multiple people.
4) The usual "what we do" "about us" "hey look our clients think we're awesome" "lookat dis poo poo" static page stuff.

I was thinking of using Drupal or Wordpress to do this, but I'd like a site that "doesn't look like wordpress" and that is easy to change/theme. Is doing this in wp just a matter of making sure that the theme I design or use is perfect? Is there a CMS that I should take a look at?

Drupal sucks, way more than Wordpress. So use Wordpress for this situation. And just find a decent free or pay theme that doesn't require any weird changes to the template code. Use this for multi-language: http://polylang.wordpress.com/

Other plugins that you may like:

http://themehybrid.com/plugins/widgets-reloaded

http://johnlamansky.com/wordpress/plugins/tweaks/

http://www.romantika.name/v2/wordpress-plugin-collapsible-archive-widget/

http://www.im-web-gefunden.de/wordpress-plugins/role-manager/

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
sperglord warning

On the NY Times announcement page, I like the static hamburger icon with an off-canvas menu for smaller viewports. Though I don't like it in Firefox on my Nexus 7, because the icon doesn't work. So if that menu was filled with important links, instead of just page anchors, this would completely suck. It works in Chrome on the Nexus.

Also, if you take a look at one of their example articles using the new design - which is different from the announcement page design - the page isn't responsive past 768px. If you're on a "mobile" device (based on User Agent it seems), you're forwarded to mobile.nytimes.com/<the-article>.

http://nytimes.com/2014/01/08/opinion/dowd-beautifying-abbey-road.html

I think that is perpetuating an outdated design choice. The modern "mobile first" philosophy would have the mobile.nytimes.com layout be the base layout for the site, and then enhance from there as the screen size grows / device capability expands.

So even though my Nexus 7 is capable of 1920 x 1200, since it is a "mobile" device, I can't take advantage of an enhanced layout. Good going NY Times.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
Speaking of colors, does anyone use Style Tiles? Saw an interesting presentation on this method at An Event Apart last year.

http://styletil.es/

http://designshack.net/articles/graphics/style-tiles-the-flip-side-of-wireframes/

http://badassideas.com/style-tiles-as-a-web-design-process-tool/

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

Nebulon Gate posted:

I'm rather curious: those using SublimeText, what is your FTP solution?

Webdrive to map an SFTP/SSH connection to the dev server(s) in Windows Explorer, rarely to a live server. FileZilla when uploading edits to live servers (deliberately, since you have to pay attention).

Yes drat it, we have no source control in place. Other than daily backups, and the plugin I run in Sublime that backs up a file on every save.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

Bastard posted:

Please look into version control and deployment services. They make everything soooooo much better.

Please email everyone in my department and tell them we're developmentally stunted. I've try mentioning things in round-a-bout ways, emailing links to examples, suggestions etc., and sometimes straight-up pushing for certain things, but since we're all technically under/in a marketing department, too many (non-developer) people need simple access to web assets. It's a slow and difficult progression to make things better around here. And then there's a jackass consultant that tries to wrangle control over everything, making everything possibly from scratch (for total control), re-inventing the wheel, re-inventing the hammer and chisel, and posturing with pseudo-intellectual bullshit to look smarter than you. If this person was gone, I would have a much easier process, and better practices in place at work honestly.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

glompix posted:

That sucks, man! You could always run a local git repository and just never put it anywhere except your machine. There's still lots of value in that for change tracking.

Thanks everyone for the sympathy. I've seen this idea tossed around before, and I started testing it last night with git and mercurial to see how it would fit into my workflow.

Also, to further illustrate the sort of jackassery I have to put up with on a monthly/weekly/daily/hourly(?) basis -- the graphic designer (not a front-end expert by any means) sent me, at 4:50pm today, an example of his NEW! custom grid system/base CSS he'd like to start using for sites. I open the code after looking at the test page and I'm greeted with this sort of fuckery:

code:

.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_1_1, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_1_2, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_1_3, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_2_3, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_1_4, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_2_4, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_3_4, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_1_5, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_2_5, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_3_5, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_4_5, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_1_6, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_2_6, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_3_6, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_4_6, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_5_6, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_1_7, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_2_7, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_3_7, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_4_7, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_5_7, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_6_7, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_1_8, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_2_8, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_3_8, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_4_8, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_5_8, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_6_8, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_7_8, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_1_9, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_2_9, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_3_9, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_4_9, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_5_9, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_6_9, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_7_9, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_8_9, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_1_10, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_2_10, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_3_10, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_4_10, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_5_10, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_6_10, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_7_10, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_8_10, 
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_9_10 {
	width: 100%;
}

@media all and (min-width: 640px) {

/*------(the-worst-grid-system) DEFAULTS------*/

.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_1_1 {width:100%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_1_2 {width:50%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_1_2 {*width:49.5%}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_1_3 {width:33.33%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_2_3 {width:66.66%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_1_4 {width:25%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_2_4 {width:50%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_3_4 {width:75%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_1_5 {width:20%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_2_5 {width:40%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_3_5 {width:60%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_4_5 {width:80%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_1_6 {width:16.66%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_2_6 {width:33.33%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_3_6 {width:50%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_4_6 {width:66.66%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_5_6 {width:83.33%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_1_7 {width:14.28%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_2_7 {width:28.57%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_3_7 {width:42.85%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_4_7 {width:57.14%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_5_7 {width:71.42%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_6_7 {width:85.71%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_1_8 {width:12.5%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_2_8 {width:25%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_3_8 {width:37.5%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_4_8 {width:50%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_5_8 {width:62.5%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_6_8 {width:75%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_7_8 {width:87.5%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_1_9 {width:11.11%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_2_9 {width:22.22%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_3_9 {width:33.33%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_4_9 {width:44.44%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_5_9 {width:55.55%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_6_9 {width:66.66%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_7_9 {width:77.77%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_8_9 {width:88.88%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_1_10 {width:10%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_2_10 {width:20%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_3_10 {width:30%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_4_10 {width:40%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_5_10 {width:50%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_6_10 {width:60%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_7_10 {width:70%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_8_10 {width:80%;}
.the-worst-grid-system-item.span_9_10 {width:90%;}

/*------END the-worst-grid-system DEFAULTS------*/

#respond .the-worst-grid-system-item.span_1_8 {width:50%;}

}
I, I just...

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

Authentic You posted:

What the gently caress is even going on in there? Is that like an inverse media query? I mean, I use media queries here and there to make sure my (already mostly responsive) stuff plays nice with phones, like handling collapsing menus, but... why is it backwards with the defaults inside? Also, when would you ever use a 7-column grid??

I've seen some more of this guy's poo poo in the Coding Horrors, and it's pretty horrific.

No, see that's the consultant's code in the coding horrors thread. This CSS is from the "senior" graphic designer.

Misogynist posted:

He could always be using these as SASS mixins, right?

...right?

...guys?

Hahahabahahhahahahahahahahah that would be assuming this person has any sort of clue about industry wide practices.

I tried showing him Less the other week, to illustrate how much simpler life could be. And then I get this in my inbox yesterday.

substitute fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 4, 2014

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
But you see guys, it's mobile first...

Update: I have what looks like Moby Dick sized email response about how this system is better than all other grid systems/frameworks tested.

substitute fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 4, 2014

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

Heskie posted:

Same. Its pretty funny but its really not that different from many I've seen.

I've never seen the benefit personally, especially if you've adopted something like SMACSS.

The benefit for us would be one agreed upon standard, with ANY sort of documentation, that jump starts development and solves many common problems up front (like still supporting IE8, and I don't know why IE7). Currently it's the wild west up in here from site to site.

From the designer's explanation email though, the system he's devised is not a grid system at all. It may look like it, but it's completely different, and based on the "group model". I don't know what that is, I guess because I'm a server-side developer?

Here are the packages he sent in the email to compare against, with several points on how they're wrong: Golden Grid system, Responsive grid system, The Square Grid, Less Framework, 960 grid.

http://goldengridsystem.com/
http://www.responsivegridsystem.com/
http://thesquaregrid.com/
http://lessframework.com/
http://960.gs/

I only know of 960 from that list, but again I'm a developer.

kedo posted:

What's the name of the grid system anyways? Also:

Well it has "responsive" in the title, but that's all I'm giving away in an open forum.

substitute fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 4, 2014

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

Nebulon Gate posted:

What the gently caress? What were this chucklefuck's points exactly?

To sum up, they all have some combination of the following problems:

* IE specific fixes like <!--[if lt IE 7]><html class="ie"><![endif]-->
* Pseudo elements like :before / :after / :first-child
* Uses float for alignment
* <div class="clearfix"> after every row
* Hard coded break points

* Not mobile first
* Not responsive

Which the last two if this were explained in a meeting (with our manager(s) present) would have me cutting this person off to say "Then why did you even look at any of these systems after realizing that?"

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

gmq posted:

SASS + Susy and you're done. Responsive, as semantic as you want it to be, etc.

However, grid-specific classes still have their use, mainly forms.

Thanks. (Edit: oh poo poo you're assuming we even have a Ruby/Rails system in place. Well think again.) And speaking of forms, aka the sort of interactive development stuff I'm usually responsible for, it's awesome to start coding up a page and load it to see invisible inputs (etc., labels, h2-3-4, whatever) -- because the person responsible for styling has destroyed every single CSS element using Eric Meyer's reset, without providing any basic defaults.

Seriously though, I have to say to everyone, sorry for venting so much in this thread. I watch it to better myself, and rarely post. But I've had a bad last few days/weeks dealing with this sort of poo poo at work. I left early today after dealing with all the emails that I've been posting about.

substitute fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 4, 2014

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

Nebulon Gate posted:

Some of these are valid (though do any use clearfix at *all* anymore? We kind of had that wrapped up years ago with :after or even just plain old 'overflow: hidden'), most are not. You can adjust the breakpoints in the grids at your leisure. It's not like they're loving DRMed or anything. What the hell is his issue with pseudo-elements? Is he doing the .span-1-last poo poo?

I also assume he's using 'inline-block' and probably using the -4px margin-left trick and acting like he's a superstar, right?

I'd just like to know his argument for not using Bootstrap or Foundation's grid. You can, in fact, do that quite easily without any CSS pre-processor.

Yeah I agree as well, which is why I don't understand using the poor examples provided either.

And I have mentioned investigating ANY sort of framework (CSS, JS, PHP) to help us all, for about a year or less now. And that's usually met with silent to half-hearted responses. After a design conference last year (An Event Apart), I dropped a few major front-end frameworks in my dev web space for everyone to check out, and my encouraging email to everyone to investigate didn't get a single reply, or any casual discussion afterwards.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

kedo posted:

How big is your firm, and is there anything to stop you from just using one?

The easiest way to sell people on this will be to talk to whoever makes the decisions / stands the most to gain from reducing project cost and saying something like this: "If we use a front end framework we will be able to cut down on development time at all stages of the project and increase or profitability."

Oh I'm in direct contact with the person/people over the team, like next door or down the hall, and it's very relaxed environment. But it's a private and very large worldwide company (not a well known corp.) and the core web team is basically just 5-6 people, depending on how you would define roles.

I think my only route at this point after my constant complaining and being the rear end in a top hat of the entire group, is to provide detailed examples of how people are wasting time re-inventing the wheel, instead of producing results / content for our projects.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

pipes! posted:

I would eschew grid-specific classes in favor of more descriptive OOCSS approach for both performance and accessibility reasons, but this really sounds like a case of an inflexible design prima donna, coming from a former inflexible design prima donna.

Honestly though, it's all from a very likeable guy personally -- who is not an expert in web-dev obviously, and is by all accounts planning ahead to take over the department, I think. So I'm at odds of trying to be a practical team player, but dealing with people that are playing (semi-relaxed) office/career politics.

drat it, I am not posting again for at least a week. Sorry everyone.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

Holy poo poo I just git cloned something from the mid-90s.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
It really sucks that email clients don't play Flash® intros.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

cheese eats mouse posted:

I present the longest meta tag in the world.

I had to delete some of it to make it fit in the character limit and to not annoy the gently caress out of the thread with pointless scrolling.

Around 75,000 characters.

Source : http://bctonline.net/

Everyone go view source on this poo poo. It's hilarious.

There's a hidden form field with a value that is over 100,000 columns.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
Google released a CSS boilerplate yesterday. Thoughts?

https://developers.google.com/web/starter-kit/

http://readwrite.com/2014/06/19/google-launches-starter-kit-for-a-more-consistent-web#awesm=~oHJxTsrOOt99zy

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
I think Atom (https://www.atom.io) in the 6-12 months will probably become one of, if not THE defacto code/text editors for web development (and maybe more). Get on board now people.

I use and love Sublime Text every single day of my life. But I think Atom is going to be huge.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

pokeyman posted:

Why?

(Honest question, I'm curious what makes it compelling.)

It's the super easy package/theme manager that grabbed me. You can get up and running, and being productive very quickly. And people need point-and-click.

Again, I love Sublime Text and I've been using it since early 2013. But I had to force myself to stay with it in the beginning for various reasons. Atom is not polished enough for me (on Windows 7) to completely switch yet, but I think everyone should pay attention, install and play around with it, especially the plugins/packages manager.

And it's free, open source, backed by Github and could get so popular it becomes a cross-platform standard, of sorts. Think Chrome's dev tools, for anyone in web development. (I use Firefox :smuggo:)

(Also, I'm not a shill)

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

fuf posted:

If I want to try Sublime Text should I go with 2 or 3?

Definitely version 3.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

fuf posted:

Does the iphone browser try and detect phone numbers on pages and make them click-able? Client is complaining that when she clicks the phone number link it doesn't work and the number is invalid, but there is no link on the phone number. :confused:

Probably just a number on screen that contains a dash.

This is a problem I've been dealing with for maybe 2 years now. The solution so far has been to use the Apple specific meta tag to turn off auto phone number detection for iOS devices, because any number with a dash will appear as a click-able phone number. Which is just great for things like your product/sku numbers that contain dashes.

Then I wrap all the real phones numbers on the site with <a href="tel:..., and add a specific style to those anchors to make them look like regular text -- so they don't stand out as regular click-able links on non-iOS devices.

If anyone has a better solution, PLEASE post it.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

cbirdsong posted:

When I am working with product numbers like that, I just preemptively style those specific areas so that once iOS automatically creates the inappropriate links they look like regular text, and then unwrap them with jQuery once the page fully loads. Your way seems backwards!

So you add a style, then remove the style, and the non-phone numbers are still click-able (if you're on iOS)?

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

cbirdsong posted:

For numbers that iOS thinks are phone numbers but aren't:

- I add the style so that it looks like regular text as soon as it renders, and continues to, if you're a crazy person who turned off Javascript on their phone's browser.
- I use jQuery to strip the unwanted a[href|="tel:"] links out as soon as any more important Javascript is done. (Practically, this happens almost instantly, but the style prevents any weird flashes of link styling if it doesn't happen quickly enough.)

Actual phone numbers elsewhere on the site still get automatically created on iOS (and Android, I think), so I don't have to worry about adding tel: links manually and suppressing them on desktop browsers.

Got it, thanks for clarifying. So iOS adds the <a href="tel:..> to the source at output?

I'm not a front-end dev by trade. So my thinking on this was "these are telephone links, so semantically they should be explicitly wrapped as such with the appropriate HTML" — so it's not relying on some OS's, or browser's, automation features.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

zfleeman posted:

I dunno, I'm just really new to web development and design and I don't really care about mobile. I don't think about it all that often.

http://motherfuckingwebsite.com

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

The Wizard of Poz posted:

If you think it's quicker and easier to do the entire design process code-first then that really speaks to a lack of experience with Photoshop / Illustrator. Knowing both design and coding is important so you can mock up your design in code when you're done, but rarely would you go for code-first design unless (as others said) it's a very small project that doesn't require a particularly compelling or complicated UI.

But how complicated or compelling should a website be (or get) at 320px wide these days?

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
An update to Sublime Text was released yesterday.

http://www.sublimetext.com/3

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
Concerning source control at Google and Facebook:

http://www.wired.com/2015/09/google-2-billion-lines-codeand-one-place/

... Google has built its own “version control system” for juggling all this code. The system is called Piper, and it runs across the vast online infrastructure Google has built to run all its online services. ...

... The two internet giants are working on an open source version control system that anyone can use to juggle code on a massive scale. It’s based on an existing system called Mercurial. ...

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
SourceTree is my project command center.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

Karthe posted:

What's the quickest and cheapest way to get a temporary WordPress installation up and running? A designer in our company wants to play around with a WP template but it turns out Wordpress.com's hosting doesn't give you full access to the template's CSS files. I'm looking into getting WP running on Heroku but it sounds less than optimal.

For a local dev install, try downloading Ampps and then do a WordPress install from the Ampps admin panel. This is assuming they don't already have a local server setup like MAMP/WAMP/XAMP etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
Does anyone want to share experiences/opinions on current shopping carts and payment systems out there?

I have a fairly complex and custom use case at work, and I'm struggling with finding some software/service that can solve some of the more painful aspects. I fear we'll end up writing most, if not all, of a custom shopping cart/customer portal and tie-in some payment system like Stripe.

I've looked at Magento, Shopify, BigCommerce, PinnacleCart, WooCommerce ...