Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

IAmKale posted:

Hey e-commerce project buddy, I just came off a pretty extensive search of current shopping cart systems so we're in the same boat :hfive:

A client of ours wants to implement a bilingual shopping cart with social media logins, recurring orders, and in-store-pickup-only delivery methods. Suffice to say I've tried just about everything under the sun. On the surface Shopify is amazing - tons of plugins and templates, close integration with physical EMV readers and complete cash register systems...Then you realize that you're going to be nickle-and-dimed to death. I suppose once you start doing a certain amount of business the $200/mo you could end up paying for the higher tier packages as well as plugins, hardware, etc... is a drop in the bucket, but god drat if Shopify doesn't snowball real quick.

I don't know if you've tried them out but Volusion was high up on the list of packages we recommended for implementation. It's pretty featureful without going the Shopify "charge for everything" route. There aren't any plugins to speak of but the package pricing is pretty good for all of its standard features. That said, Volusion sites don't look as nice as Shopify ones so you'd probably want to spend some time tweaking a template to add that little bit of polish that all of the templates kinda lack.

If you need multilingual support (but only need a basic shopping cart), Smoolis is worth considering. They had by far the best interface for managing UI translations across multiple languages. Unfortunately their store functionality felt pretty barebones, and they don't have any plugins either so you're stuck with whatever they implement. At least their templates look presentable!

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll investigate.

I didn't mention it, but yes the site we're going to release will support 20+ languages worldwide. It's going to be a nightmare for various reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
Speaking of WordPress, has anyone used Bedrock with success? Looks to solve several WP annoyances.

https://github.com/roots/bedrock

substitute fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 5, 2016