Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

kedo posted:

Can anyone recommend a form system similar to Gravity Forms that doesn't require WordPress to function? I have a legacy client who needs a form with an administrative backend attached, but they have an ancient static site.

My buddy really loves to use Wufoo forms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My assumption is you have zero access to unbounce? Could you get it from your client and access their documentation?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I feel like so far all the examples of not using them are examples of people not realizing they shouldn't using them. I don't think it's a black and white solution. Like that zeebox example is just garbage, of course you don't move to a sidebar navigation like that when you only have 4 navigation items. I actually preferred the facebook app without the tab bar.

I just really don't like this jump for hating it so quickly with poor insights into the analytics. We moved to hambuger + slideout on the awful iOS app and sort of fell into this. A portion of people didn't like it because with the tab bar they could use it in a way to browse to threads at once, even though that wasn't the intention. We also planned on having all the site features in the bar, so when we launched and it still only had 4 navigation items, it was a little silly. I still prefer using it and not having the tab bar take up real estate.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah are you using developer tools / firebug to check out where the rule is exactly coming from?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

We just had that conversation at work, and the one front end guy's opinion was that with the way modern browsers handle thing, it's perfectly fine to just stick with PXs.

Centripetal Horse posted:

I know it's clashy and simplistic, but, again, is the information laid out fairly intuitively

I'm not sure it is, moving those stats to the sidebar decouples it mentally (to me) from the main area. The old design also lets me know that I did something with the whole "You selected..." part and stats. With the new design I just have a hard time figuring out what's going on.

And yes, you definitely do not have an eye for design. It's okay though! Modern design is all about decluttering and getting down to the basics as much as possible, while still providing personality. So your site is actually over-designed. The colors you are picking are really harsh, and then on top of that you're using them as background colors, which really punch you in the face. There are tons of websites where you can pick out color pallets if you're not a designer.

Your sight could look a lot better though by just stripping things away and giving things room to breathe. I can tell you're used to designing for small resolutions, but you can safely design at ridiculous sizes now, the most common resolution is actually 1366x768. However you should also design to what you analytics tells you about your userbase.

So just going with removing background colors and being super simple, you can do this with your site, which while plain, isn't visually offensive:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah in a nut shell frameworks, front end or back end, provide shortcuts to get what you want instead of recreating the wheel.

Or for front end, as I say, it's so engineers can actually make good looking websites ;)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah that's fair. The default bootstrap blue button haunts my dreams.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Do you have access to any analytics? Nothing's better than seeing IE as a small fraction of users.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

IMO unless you're getting paid extra for the time it takes, ditch it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I've used respond.js with bootstrap to solve those headaches easily.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

jackpot posted:

Thanks!

Say you're updating your portfolio site because you're looking for a new job (hypothetically speaking, of course :ninja: ). Is there a way to block that site from being viewed by anyone on your office network? You wouldn't want to block anyone more than that, obviously - just the occasional curious coworkers who you'd rather not know about it (and obviously this doesn't stop anyone from just picking up their phone and going there, or looking me up at home - that's fine). I know I can use the htaccess file to block a specific IP, but can I block a range of IPs that would represent my company network? Or am I just showing how little I know about all this?

If you're really worried and there's no benefit to people finding your site organically, I'd suggest just password protecting it and including the credentials on your resume / where ever you share it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Ummm can you post some of these articles saying not to make a responsive site? Are they offering a different solution for mobile?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Ah okay. So the first article is basically that a lot of retailers are making poo poo responsive solutions that are bloating page load.

The second is the responsive vs. dedicated mobile site debate which is usually (IMO) a YMMV thing depending on what you're serving.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Newf posted:

I have a (probably easy) bootstrappish design question. I've got a list of Things that I'd like to display for the user, and also I'd like to provide the option to add a new Thing. Right now it looks like this, with 'New Portfolio' being the active item (eg, somewhere else on the screen the user is able to edit / view this item). This is a bootstrap list-group, and the top is just a regular button. It looks goony as hell but I can't figure out what makes sense. Should I make the entire top row a colored button? Should I just center the button that's there? Should I break the button out of the list-group and have it above or below? This problem is solved in about a billion different webpages but for some reason I can't locate any right now.

If I'm getting this correct, this is like an option select, the are currently in "New Portfolio", and you want to support creating a new portfolio as an option?

This could be alleviated by not having the active item also looking so much like a button. I feel like if "Add New portfolio" was maybe just blue text, and "New Portfolio" was just highlighted by a light grey, it would better convey the message.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

For one project my company has a Confluence ( https://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence ) and we use JIRA to plan sprints so it all works pretty well together.

Are your tasks documented at all? You might want to get them in some sort of service so you have written proof of just how much you're doing, then try to use that as leverage to at the least get an intern if you can't get someone you can manage.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

How weird does this sound? I have a html5 video tag I'm using, with autoplay on the tag, but the autoplay isn't working. I can't figure out why. However, if I load the page with firebug open, the video autoplays. This is on a wordpress site and I'm wondering if that is somehow messing with something. ( I've used the code chunk before and it has autoplayed fined. )

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah the behavior is the same in FF and Chrome. Open dev tools, hit refresh, video autoplays.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

A fun exercise is to say "I want to [cta text". So you want the user to view a detailed view if they press that button, so maybe something just like "View Detailed Information", "Detailed Information", or "See More Details".

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

When I loaded the page I was like "That menu seems fine", then the hover knocked me out of my chair.

Yeah it looks like you have 3 levels of information, with level 2 being you're actual items. I don't see a need for level 1 on any of the dropdowns, just sounds like some marketing fluff that only adds to the confusion. Then on like Products it's almost like you're trying to fit a whole landing page in the navigation. Would right more but I'm in a rush.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You could make your menu bar be what goes 100% then have a container inside of it that adds width constrictions / centering. Like: http://codepen.io/anon/pen/GAuaI

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm not a heavy developer, but why not have a custom templates that embed whatever you need to and still have people use the WYSIWYG? If it's a matter of the content being split by your embeds, you can just use custom fields to have multiple text areas in the WYSIWYG interface.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Are analytics available? Because 960 is a really small resolution at this point to design for unless it represents a significant portion of your audience.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Have you tried A/B testing putting just one 300x250 there and seeing if it actually has that much of a revenue impact versus the ginormous ad combo? atleast you could get to 100% width quicker.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm not going to say go with Wordpress because I don't know if there's better, but WP is pretty expandable to be whatever you want it to be. You could have a custom field just for the tables that lives inside each post and you can display outside of / in addition to the post content.

It would be more helpful to hear about how he is building those tables now, is he just using an html wysiwyg and saving static files?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm starting to feel like if you're starting from scratch you need a really good reason to be doing so. Otherwise you're spending more time and making something that will be harder for other people to pick up and help work on / modify.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

fuf posted:

Is it better to load one large js file than multiple small ones? I've always wondered this.

I think this looks nicer at least:

code:

<script src="js/main.js"></script>

than this:

code:

<script src="js/lib/jquery.js"></script>
<script src="js/lib/jquery.scrollto.js"></script>
<script src="js/lib/jquery-scrollspy.js"></script>
<script src="js/lib/foundation.js"></script>
<script src="js/lib/modernizr.js"></script>
<script src="js/lib/fastclick.js"></script>
<script src="js/lib/director.js"></script>
<script src="js/main.js"></script>

Yeah but if you need to update a vendor script you've made more work for yourself.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

fuf posted:

hey this is interesting:
http://jsfiddle.net/1en2q2x2/2/
theme stylesheet had font-weight:300 on <body> for some reason.

I've actually just started doing this because when it's supported it makes the page look so much lighter and nicer.

Could you set a rule for the strong tag for font weight 900 or something? Or does adding !important to the default help?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

fuf posted:

I guess but grunt makes it pretty easy to concatenate and minify a bunch of scripts.

Oh that makes sense, I don't know about all that cool stuff.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah UX is really more of a mindset that isn't really tied to any coding in particular. I think studying something like information architecture or how to conduct usability research would make you a good UX practitioner.

I actually just finished a great book that is all about coming onto a team as the sole UX evangelist: http://rosenfeldmedia.com/books/ux-team-of-one/

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

^^^ a very good post about ux

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

kiwid posted:

Anyone here familiar with Adobe Illustrator CS6?

I've been given a logo in vector format. I need to export this logo as a 180px height png file. Normally I would just save for web and pick the size, uncheck "Clip to Artboard" and I'm done. However, I need to have a few pixel padding to the exported image. What I'm now doing is save for web and choosing 176px high, then opening the exported image into Photoshop and expanding the canvas. Is there a way to skip the Photoshop step and just export the logo from Illustrator with the 2px padding?

So you can make an artboard that is 180px tall, resize the logo to be 176px high, center it, and save for web without unchecking 'clip to artboard'.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

I hate the way tables behave in Bootstrap. As you are resizing the window horizontally, the table width jumps in increments and does not make good use of the available space.

What kind of container / column is the table in? Can you show us the page?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The jumping is from the breakpoints. If you don't want the jumping you can put it in a .container-fluid. You also have mismatched columns in your row, when exactly do you want them to stack? Or do you never want them to stack?

Check this out, never stacks, doesn't jump, and I threw in some responsive numbers for good measure:
http://jsfiddle.net/umy3b64h/

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If you're hung up on layouts and not design inclined I'd use a framework IMO.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Ehh, WYSIWYG generally implies no code manipulation.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My company's CTO, one of the smartest developers I've ever encountered, uses it as his IDE. I kind of stopped hating on it after that (and the fact that I stopped caring about its product development about 10 years ago).

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I would also assume whatever your all CSS menu would do, would break in IE (or rather, old IEs). So if that's important, use a JS menu.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah last we measured IE9 and lower made up less than .5% of our audience. Dancing ensued.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I don't know if you have zero design instinct I would probably say just get it in bootstrap 3 with all standard bootstrap markup and then you at least have a good base to then either customize the css yourself or look for themes that build off of a bootstrap base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

fletcher posted:

That's pretty much what I did for the original version of AYB, I kinda want it to have a more distinct style. I'm not really sure what I want though.

I'm a hair interested in collaborating with you on this, I'm currently in a position where when I can design pages I can't put them in my "portfolio" ( really my dribbble ).