Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simcole
Sep 13, 2003
PATHETIC STALKER
I have a quick design question I'd like someone else's opinion on. I'm helping a friend (no money) setup a website. He is a goods broker, and he has several new contacts who want him to broker their goods. They all do small time stuff but want to appear as part of a larger entity for marketability. So I'm thinking I'll set him up with a wordpress site for now since it's simple and not a huge time suck for me. HOW should I structure the pages for the side business? example:

Top domain http://brokerage.com
Then should I do http://company1.brokerage.com as a sub domain?
Should I do a folder view? http://brokerage.com/company1
or should I simply do a page in wordpress?

My 2 concerns:
1) will all company pages look the same since it'll ride the main pages's theme?
2) What about down the road when these sub companies buy their own domain names, how would I point them to the correct place?

Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simcole
Sep 13, 2003
PATHETIC STALKER

Maluco Marinero posted:

Just one thing to take into account with multi site is the fact that user accounts are global within the multi site network. Thats okay if you intend that, but if there needs to be a clear functional split don't use WordPress multisite and do independent installs instead.

Ohh now there's a good tidbit. Thanks for the responses. Since it's just helping a friend quick and no $, I'll just make sure he/me makes all the changes and doesn't give out the admin password. Thank you.

simcole
Sep 13, 2003
PATHETIC STALKER
Does anyone have any experience with WooCommerce? I have a previous customer wanting me to do a small bakery store with inhouse credit card processing using woocommerce. I know I'll need a SSL certificate but I've never done e-commerce before so I'm looking for any help and guidance before I quote it.

simcole
Sep 13, 2003
PATHETIC STALKER

Scaramouche posted:

I've set up about a dozen WooCommerce sites and have been working in eCommerce for the last 10 years, AMA

Thanks for the reply. Let me explain what they want and you can tell me what's maybe the best route to take. They have 4 bakeries across a large town. They want an online order system for these bakeries where certain items require a minimum purchase (say 3 dozen cookies or more). They want a sort of universal menu with online ordering/pickup where the user picks the "pickup location" once they order. This will email the correct bakery the order. It needs SSL (no problem), and some form of credit card processing preferably within the same web page without a ton of re-directs.

I have a bunch of questions:

1) What's my direct cost for using WooCommerce? Is there a yearly subsciption or plugin cost etc? I don't see one.
2) Are there any specific theme requirements to use WooCommerce or should I stick with their selections
3) Any must have plugins for Woo?
4) What kind of time commitment will it take to setup the e-store?

With all I've listed do you mind doing some hand holding here and pointing me in the direction you'd take. Thank you a bunch!

simcole
Sep 13, 2003
PATHETIC STALKER

Scaramouche posted:

I'll answer your questions first and then address your use case second:

1)Direct cost for Wordpress is nothing. Totally free, requires Linux Hosting with MySQL database access (which is not free) and Wordpress (which is). However, there are two areas where you'll likely spend money. Plugins, and Themes. Woo is free, but it's also a bit under-featured, and that lack of functionality is made up by specific-purpose plugins made by a variety of authors. An example: The last site I did was for a wholesaler/importer of European equipment, all of these relatively well known brand names within his industry. The problem? WooCommerce doesn't support Brands as a concept. So we had to buy a plugin. Another example: We ship across Canada+US for the sales made on the site. Woo doesn't support a Tracking Number/Close Order kind of workflow, so I wrote a crappy one that re-purposes Order Notes. Last example: Our (Canadian) Payment Processor had no integration with WooCommerce, so we bought a (really good) plugin that saved me tons of time and headache. Depending on your use-case you're probably going to have to buy some plugins for Woo, or spend some time adding in the functionality you want by hand. What I like about it though is, those plugins are generally flat rate buys. No monthly recurring costs. Themes are the same; if you're super wizardy at WP you can just hack something together with the default themes. Or, you can save time/money and buy one. For me, the best for pay theme I've used on Woo is Flatsome. Lots of built-in shortcodes, grids, sliders, controls, menus, all great stuff. Support is quite good too. A good free theme for Woo in my experience is Customizr, however it's not super user friendly. Basically you're expected to configure everything, and everything you don't configure you'll have to hand-style/code using the (relatively elegant) Bootstrap implementation underlying it. It takes a bit of tweaking (think messing with grid height, corner style, etc.) but you can get a nice looking site out of it.
2)Generally if a theme says it supports WooCommerce, it'll work for it in my experience. What's nice with the free ones is that you can just install them, see what it looks like, and then mess around/change to another theme, without really "losing" anything since your product/logic stuff is abstracted out.
3)Good plugins for Woo are going to depend on functionality. For my last three projects I've used these (all free): Abandoned Cart Lite for Woo, All In One Scheme.org Rich Snippets (might not be necessary for a bespoke product like baking), Better Wordpress Google XML Sitemaps (Webmaster Tools bait basically), Booster for Woocommerce (a bunch of pricing/shipping/cart functionality, some useful some not), Ninja Forms (pretty good basic form creator/handler), The SEO Framework (basic set and forget SEO plugin), WooCommerce Conversion Tracking (Google analytics conversion metrics for ecommerce specific targets), YITH Ajax Search, YITH Gift Cards, YITH Wishlist, WP All Import - WooCommerce (so I can create products in Excel instead of in Woo interface; generally only needed if you're doing 100s of products at once).
4)Setting up a new Woo is basically broken down into two big things: 1)styling/aesthetics/photoshop/css'ing and 2)data entry for products. Buying a pro theme cuts down on 1) considerably, but not much will help you with 2). I've down a small Woo (~40 products) in about 20 hours, but that was bare minimum, and was actually more of a conversion of an existing property so all the information I needed was already present.

Now for what you're asking for features wise.
- Minimum order qty: There's plugins that do this (https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/woocommerce-incremental-product-quantities/ note: I have not used this). There's also a Minimum Order Amount ($$$) option in the Booster plugin above.
- Pickup locations could be done with a thing called Shipping Zones, where you set up say 4 shipping methods called Local Pickup - (Location 1), Local Pickup - (Location 2), etc. Automatic assignment/notification of those orders to those locations would have to occur separately, or maybe there's a plugin that does it? Worst case is each bakery can log into the Orders section of the site; there's a column that lists the shipping method and they could pick up their own orders that way.
- Credit card processing requires a payment processor of some kind. Usually, for a real world case, you can piggy back on their existing processor. For example if they use Chase Paymentech as their in-store POS processor, you can also use Chase online. This could be the sticking point actually, depending on how big/good/popular your payment processor is, and is usually the cause of a plugin purchase. At worst, Woo can default to PayPal/PayPal Express pretty well out of the box. The latter does not require SSL (since everything gets thrown to PayPal) and can be a good testing/starting point. If their in-store processor is totally worthless you can go Stripe/Braintree/etc. quite easily, but it really makes financial sense to only be paying a percentage/per order fee to one processor in the business.

Wonderful write up. I appreciate the amount of time that must have taken you. I'm pretty good at setting up the themes/coding but I do love a good theme to save lots of time. It seems I need to do a potential test install on my development site and see what's what. The plugins are the interesting thing. There are tons and I'll have to make sure the ones I select will work. I REALLY appreciate you listing all the plugins you use. I see the Local Pickup plugin, the minimum order, etc. I think this will work nice.

I think I'm doing to dip my toes into this one and see how I come out. Again, Bravo at the writeup! I'll post another question if I get stuck. I'm going to budget 40 hours roughly to start/learn.

simcole
Sep 13, 2003
PATHETIC STALKER
I have a margin/padding question I'm stuck on. I'm giving a friend a free Wordpress site to work on, and it went up in 2 hours. I can't for the life of me get the navigation menu to not block the background logo when it's in responsive mode. Here is the site http://designtemp.colemanworld.net

I'm stumped and I'm sure someone can look at this and instantly show me how I'm dumb. Thank you.

simcole
Sep 13, 2003
PATHETIC STALKER

Grump posted:

@media (max-width: 000px){
header{
margin-top: 2em;
}
}

Change values to match your liking.

Close but no cigar. It's a body background image and I can't seem to even change it to make it work. I'm trying

@media (max-width: 767px){
body.custom-background{
margin-top: 2em;
}
}(no dice)

EDIT: But I think I got it:
@media (max-width: 767px){
body.custom-background{
background-position: 0px 60px;
}
}

simcole fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simcole
Sep 13, 2003
PATHETIC STALKER
I think I have an easy question for someone. I'm not a developer but I used to do small time sites WAY back when. I'm volunteering my time to make and maintain a cub scout website my son is involved with. I had a sidebar (widget) calendar looking good before, but now the height is all messed up and I'm not sure why my style is being overridden.

The page is http://denverncpack83.org
The widget in reference is the calendar upcoming event widget which is the first one. Here is the code for that TEXT widget (that worked previously):

code:
<iframe style="border-width: 0;" src="https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?showPrint=0&amp;showTabs=0&amp;showTz=0&amp;mode=AGENDA&amp;height=800&amp;wkst=1&amp;bgcolor=%23FFFFFF&amp;src=nccubscoutpack83%40gmail.com&amp;color=%232F6309&amp;ctz=America%2FNew_York" width="300" height="600" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
Edit: Nevermind... switching it to Custom HTML fixed it. Weird it worked before for months.

simcole fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 24, 2018