Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I'll throw my recommendation in for Mimosa.

It's a quick way to get a dev environment up with live-reload, coffeescript, microtemplating engine, css pre-processor, require.js, linting, express, etc. without having to configure a bunch of crap. I use it at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

hayden. posted:

There's that and also you're one of those websites I hate and leave because you require JS to load images (I use NotScripts). Can't you do this in the PHP or whatever backend you're using?

If you block Javascript then I don't really care about you as a user at all.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Lumpy posted:

You must have never designed a website that was supposed to generate revenue.

"Hey boss, our company had 19.1M in expenses, the site only brought in 19M. Good thing we told 5% of our users to gently caress off!"

If your margin for success is that slim and you actually have high percentage of paranoid users who block scripts. Then sure, but I wouldn't take that job.

For most web apps? I'd focus on a good experience for users who don't break their browsers.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Newf posted:

Potentially stupid question here:

Why is it that everyone in web design uses hex colour codes rather than rgb? I can't believe that people find it easier to read the hex representation; is it just a convention held over from some time before rgb colours 'existed' on the web?

It's shorter? It's not that hard to read? And what's the deal with airline food?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Oh My Science posted:

If you plan on going the rails route I would highly recommend learning a little bit of ruby first. Try reading poignant-guide to ruby to get a feel for the language... if you like it, you'll like rails.

I couldn't get past the "zany" bullshit in the intro.