Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.

Lumpy posted:

He's using IE8, so he still is

:downsrim:

http://theie8countdown.com/
Unfortunately for me, we'll be apparently moving a few thousand users to Windows 7 right before XP support expires, so our users will be upgrading to IE8 from IE7! At least we have Chrome Frame...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Yeah, I saw that, I was unfortunately being sarcastic. :|

kedo posted:

It is your personal responsibility to upgrade every computer to IE 10. If you do not, you are a bad person. :colbert:
I'm an admin on my machine only and upgrades for non-admins will be blocked because it's not "supported" or something. I'm trying to verify but I probably won't know til last minute.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Any idea on a better way to display this information overload?

What's being display:
For a given timeframe, show the following fields:
Total (if fake is 0, shown without T, else with)
Fake (hidden if zero) as F
Built as B
Scheduled as S
Jobs as Jobs
Buffer as Buffer
Techs as Techs
Contractors as Contractors

The business owners want it all there per timeframe explicitly as I've tried to hide some of it in tooltips before and the suggestion was declined.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

That looks frustrating but I'm not sure the parentheses are helping very much
Yeah, they were there initially to group the abbreviation with the number without having to bump the number and abbreviation together (like 374T, 455B, etc)

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Skiant posted:

You have to establish a proper information hierarchy.

Pick up one — and only one — field being the most important (something that helps you scan the document quickly is preferred), make it stand out from the rest (size, boldness, color).
Then, establish if you have one or two other levels of information, and define a style for those (grayed out instead of black, smaller font, …).

The fact that the text organization is so much different between the tiny box on the left and the large one on the far right doesn't help neither because you don't have a defined visual structure in common between all your cells, but if they don't want to hear about a tooltip, it's not exactly something you can fix easily.
Thank you, this is very helpful.
My initial reaction is that there are a few levels:
1.) The timeframe name which is a link.
2.) The total
3.) The numbers that comprise that total (real, fake, built, scheduled, buffer)
4.) The job, tech and contractor counts.

I'll look at organizing them so that the hierarchy is visually shown.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Lumpy posted:

Here's a too-fast visual stab at what Skiant posted. Info is consistent, the times and "important" number jump out visually. Layout for one hour box shifts (inline-block hooray!) but keeps the same "feel".

This is awesome, thank you. I guess I'm too close to it but I have no idea why I didn't think of orienting the shorter time-frames vertically.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Lumpy posted:

Here's a too-fast visual stab at what Skiant posted. Info is consistent, the times and "important" number jump out visually. Layout for one hour box shifts (inline-block hooray!) but keeps the same "feel".

I finally had a chance to work on this.
Any further opinions?

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

I'm trying to get a Bootstrap 3 fixed footer to work using this code:
http://pastebin.com/7rs6PEmZ

However, if there is a large amount of content, and you change the browser window size, the footer covers up some of the page content.

The author of the tutorial made this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxmLNctBi10) and someone noticed that and commented, and they said it would be fixed soon.

How would I go about fixing it now?

Uziel fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 15, 2013

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

fuf posted:

Did you add padding to the bottom of <body>?

From the bootstrap docs:
Well, that was easy. Not sure how I missed that. Thank you!

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Using Bootstrap 3's responsive tables, is there an easy way to make the first column fixed?
http://getbootstrap.com/css/#tables-responsive

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

jiggerypokery posted:

Microsoft are not supporting XP as of April so we may be spared this bullshit from now on.
IE8 is the default version for Windows 7, so unfortunately for many intranet sites that means it's the new standard instead of IE6 and 7.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

What if I refuse? :colbert:
If you are your own business, that's certainly a choice you can make. If you work for a large corporate entity, its tantamount to handing in your resignation.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Reposting here as I'm not sure how to fix this.

I have a bootstrap 3 responsive table in which I am trying to have a first column be fixed when on mobile so that you can scroll to the right and left but that column stays in place.

Example:
http://nasgame.apphb.com (example data: search for Eric Frasure and pick the Pro)

On iphones using both Safari and Chrome, the first column is no longer fixed. A few months ago, this exact code worked and the column stayed fixed! Its correctly staying fixed on multiple desktop computers using Chrome, as well as on a Kindle Fire using Silk browser. I'm trying to confirm with an Android phone.

meta tag:
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">

jquery:
code:
$(document).ready(function () {
    var $table = $('.table');
    var $fixedColumn = $table.clone().insertBefore($table).addClass('fixed-column');
    $fixedColumn.find('th:not(:first-child),td:not(:first-child)').remove();
    $fixedColumn.find('tr').each(function (i, elem) {
        $(this).height($table.find('tr:eq(' + i + ')').height());
    });
});
css:
code:
.table-responsive > .fixed-column {
    position: absolute;
    display: inline-block;
    width: auto;
    border-right: 1px solid #ddd;
}

.results-table {
        background-color: #303030;
}

@media(min-width:768px) {
    .table-responsive > .fixed-column {
        display: none;
    }
}

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

What do you call those pages whose sole point is to get your email address to tell you when the real site rolls out?

I've got a site that will be rolling out within a few months and I'd like to throw up some Google ads for relevant searches and get people to sign up for an email saying "yeah, that site you were interested in is now live!".

I'm trying to search around for examples for inspiration, but I'm having a hard time finding them as I don't know what they're called.

Alternatively, if they're not really a thing with a name...anyone have some good examples?
Transactional landing page. I don't have a good example unfortunately but I know exactly what you mean.