Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

An ID *should* be unique within a document. Libraries like jQuery will just grab the first element and ignore the rest if you have multiple with the same ID. If you need to attach the same behavior to multiple elements, just give them a class. An element can have multiple classes, and you need not specify styling in CSS for every class that exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

use the focus event (onfocus() if you're inlining it) instead of the click event/onclick.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

This is basic stuff, but it's good to be reminded about it every once in awhile:

Including images, CSS, and scripts form third party domains means you must trust those sites completely. You mostly wouldn't think of what CSS can do...

Always ask yourself whether you’re giving a stranger the ability to put hello.jpg on your webpage.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Tei posted:

The current fad is "if is HTTP is not safe" and thats magical thinking. Not everything need to be HTTPS. And not everything is a credit card form.

Some cool features are kidnapped and put behind HTTPS, not because these features need it, just to force people into paying certificated, and push the web to more centralism.

I have a lot of bad opinions, and I hope I am wrong here again.

IIRC the current push for HTTPS started when the US government decided it was permissible for ISPs to sniff your web traffic and sell the data to marketers.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Nolgthorn posted:

how is anyone able to maintain that kind of code base without cyanide?

In practice you don't maintain it, you make changes by tacking more entries on the end :downs:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Clone into a private repo, then use the original to bring the light of goatman into their lives?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Never forget that the broken standards and non-intercompatibility were by design, so the extra costs of supporting it (or from Microsoft’s perspective, supporting non-IE browsers) were entirely intentional

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

tables were frequently used in the Bad Old Days, as one of the only (or at least easiest) ways to get poo poo to line up properly, so if you're doing HTML archeology or reading old guides you're likely to encounter them used inappropriately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Last Chance posted:

What the hell is the Orion browser about? Never heard of it

Kagi (paid web search company) makes it. I thought it was just supposed to be a version of Safari that can run uBlock but a surprising number of things were weird and broken when I hosed around with it for fifteen minutes a couple of months ago :shrug: