Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

substitute posted:

Probably just a number on screen that contains a dash.

This is a problem I've been dealing with for maybe 2 years now. The solution so far has been to use the Apple specific meta tag to turn off auto phone number detection for iOS devices, because any number with a dash will appear as a click-able phone number. Which is just great for things like your product/sku numbers that contain dashes.

Then I wrap all the real phones numbers on the site with <a href="tel:..., and add a specific style to those anchors to make them look like regular text -- so they don't stand out as regular click-able links on non-iOS devices.

If anyone has a better solution, PLEASE post it.

When I am working with product numbers like that, I just preemptively style those specific areas so that once iOS automatically creates the inappropriate links they look like regular text, and then unwrap them with jQuery once the page fully loads. Your way seems backwards!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
For numbers that iOS thinks are phone numbers but aren't:

- I add the style so that it looks like regular text as soon as it renders, and continues to, if you're a crazy person who turned off Javascript on their phone's browser.
- I use jQuery to strip the unwanted a[href|="tel:"] links out as soon as any more important Javascript is done. (Practically, this happens almost instantly, but the style prevents any weird flashes of link styling if it doesn't happen quickly enough.)

Actual phone numbers elsewhere on the site still get automatically created on iOS (and Android, I think), so I don't have to worry about adding tel: links manually and suppressing them on desktop browsers.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

substitute posted:

Got it, thanks for clarifying. So iOS adds the <a href="tel:..> to the source at output?

I'm not a front-end dev by trade. So my thinking on this was "these are telephone links, so semantically they should be explicitly wrapped as such with the appropriate HTML" — so it's not relying on some OS's, or browser's, automation features.

Yeah, the phone OSes make them clickable by default. It would be great if we could just put them all there all the time, but desktop browsers don't handle tel: links very well.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

NovemberMike posted:

I didn't really notice it.

Same.

You could ditch the separate category pages and just do filtering on click with this fancier version of Masonry: http://isotope.metafizzy.co

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not really sure where to post this question, so, here goes:

The hosted CMS my agency uses is not HIPPA-compliant, and since switching to a different one is out of the question for the short term, the solution I've come up with for clients that require HIPPA compliance is:

- implement on our CMS as usual
- create a flat HTML version of the site using wget on the temp URL recursively
- use find and replace to remove <script> tags that are no longer needed and causes console errors
- upload the flat HTML version to a HIPPA-compliant host

Obviously, this makes updates a bit labor-intensive, and I'd like to automate this whole process so that it occurs automatically. My initial thought was Node since I'm already comfortable with Javascript, but I can't really find any modules that replicate this particular use case of wget. Anyone ever had to do anything similar to this? I'm a front-end dev who is way out of his comfort zone, so alternative ideas are absolutely welcome.