Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?
nevermind, should make sure there's not another page before i respond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?

fuf posted:

How come when I have 4 divs with:

code:
float:left
width:25%
they line up in a nice little row except on Internet Explorer where the last one gets shoved down a row?

IE doesn't like 100%. Give them 24.9999999%

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?

PT6A posted:

Windows XP is over a decade old at this point and is being EOL'd next year. I'd really rather focus on making my site look great on modern computers instead of making sure it looks equally decent on old computers, unless I have a compelling reason to believe my site's audience will be primarily a bunch of people with old-rear end computers.

The Internet is "primarily a bunch of people with old-rear end computers."

But I fully agree. If you only build stuff that'll work everywhere, you won't innovate.

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?

Knyteguy posted:

What machines are you guys using for your web dev machines?

Do all of my work on a retina MBP. Been Mac-only for the past decade or more, actually. Most of UNIX available if/when I need it and it looks pretty. Vagrant/VirtualBox is really handy too.

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?

Pollyanna posted:

Isn't that kinda how Django works, maybe? I know it assigns HTML "objects" to stuff in the database. Or is that different?

Django doesn't assign HTML objects to anything.

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?
Just some notes from a Django and web dev:

Pollyanna posted:

HTML code:
    <div>
        <h1>Apps and Projects</h1>
    </div>

Don't wrap single block-level elements in other block-level elements, especially unclassed/id'd elements.

Pollyanna posted:

HTML code:
    {% if project_list %}

{% for p in project_list %}

<div id="project">

<h2>{{ p.name }}</h2>
            <ul>
                <li>{{ p.description }}</li>
                <li><b>Paradigm</b>: {{ p.paradigm }}</li>
                <li><b>Dependencies</b>: {{ p.dependencies }}</li>
            </ul>
            <br>

</div>

{% endfor %}

{% else %}

<div class="placeholder" id="none">
            <p>No projects registered.</p>
        </div>

{% endif %}

If you're doing loops like this, save yourself some processing time on the `ifs`:

HTML code:
{% for project in project_list %}
	<HTML HERE>
{% empty %}
	<div class="placeholder" id="none">
		<p>No projects registered.</p>
	</div>
{% endfor %}
Also, why an ID of "none"?

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?
I didn't see one, so I'll ask. Is there a Node thread?

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?

Maluco Marinero posted:

Node is a webserver written in JavaScript.

Node is not a web server. Node is a non-browser implementation of the Javascript programming language. It *can* run a web server, but it can also just be used for file management or anything else you want to do on a computer.

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?

Pollyanna posted:

Okay, I'm a bit lost on the whole Nodejs thing. What usually happens when you decide to make a new webapp? Is there an article that covers the typical development of a web app using not-necessarily-Node? Is Node necessary if I'm planning to use a framework like Flask?

No, you don't have to use Node and Flask together. You could but they end up solving a lot of the same problems so you'd probably want to pick one or the other.

As for guides or whatever, if you're going with Node, learning Express won't serve you wrong.

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?
I have 3 Atom invites if anyone wants one. Just PM me your email address or hit me up in IRC. all gone.

I wasn't that impressed by it, actually.

MonkeyMaker fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 1, 2014

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?
Nthing Django as it's the thing about I'm to start teaching at Treehouse (already have up some Python courses if you want a head start!)

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?

Disappointing Pie posted:

Beginner HTML/CSS guy here. Played a lot mastered nothing. Is team Treehouse worth it?

I'm the Python teacher at Treehouse. Our HTML/CSS/JavaScript areas are definitely the most filled out of any that we offer and they're definitely great for beginners. We don't use any sort of drag-and-drop blockly/scratch-like interface and we give you a pretty full-featured web-based text editor that you can use along with our courses or for building your own stuff. PM me and I can give you a coupon for a free month's trial.

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?
Yeah, if anything proves that Python (and/or Django) can't handle large scale public sites it's Pinterest, Reddit, The Onion, Instagram, PBS, National Geographic, Smithsonian Magazine, YouTube (originally)...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyMaker
May 22, 2006

What's your poison, sir?
Yeah, it's toxic. Get out or get him out.

Anyone interested in teaching .NET at Treehouse? We're hiring.