Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Thermopyle posted:

Evernote is great for this. Especially since their new Chrome web clipper is pretty amazing, and unlike bookmarks you don't have to worry about the site going away.

Ok, now I'm looking for some critiquin'.

http://www.trailerthingy.com

I'm no design guy, I don't enjoy design, I think CSS is a poorly designed POS, I spend as little time doing it as possible. Thus I'm using Bootstrap.

Maybe you should first look at the url before you read my notes for an unadulterated look?

Some notes:
  1. My goal is a monochromatic and very minimalistic look, but the color is just default Bootstrap...I have no allegiance to it.
  2. I realize About and Contact don't do anything yet.
  3. I'm not entirely happy with the layout of stuff within the collapsed sections, but I don't know of a better way to present the info.
  4. Do I need some small amount of text in the header area or maybe below it describing what this is, or is it just apparent?
  5. Any other ideas? I was thinking about a block at the top with a horizontal arrangement of movie posters linking to the most popular movie trailers, but I'm also thinking that might conflict with the monochromatic and minimalistic goal.
  6. Click on the "Also show featurettes, clips, etc" link. Does that transition feel good?
  7. Should I add a plus sign or something to indicate the divs are expandable?

This is an example of "too minimal". Nothing draws focus, leaving the visitor with no indication of what they're supposed to click. There's nothing indicating that you can actually expand each row by clicking on them. The headings ("Release date", "Director" etc) look too similar to the content, maybe change the font or uppercase them?

Edit: also I'm a bit confused by the link at the top right, it says "Also show featurettes, clips, etc", but it doesn't seem to show more items, the list still seems about the same length. The trailer for "One Chance" for example, disappears.

I just wanted to leave my two cents on this. I think you're trying waayyyy too hard with the web site. Remember you're marketing your illustration abilities, not your web design abilities. By all means include some decorative illustrations if you want but you're turning your whole site into one big illustration, that's a baaaaad idea. Keep it simple, your current site: http://www.kodie.me/ is much more along the right track despite some very unfortunate colour choices. Stay the course though, you'll get it. Have a look around at other portfolio sites and notice how many of them are actually very very minimal.

putin is a cunt fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread