Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
It's serviceable. I'd say the weakest parts right now are the logo/tagline and the text in the slides. Neither are web design issues, strictly speaking.

I wouldn't mind seeing a color in there but understand that I'm talking something subtle. Sometimes when I say that people hear "NEEDS LOUD COLORS" and that's the opposite of what is good.

Yip Yips fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Sep 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

I don't mind the coins on black this way because for some reason I'm familiar with them being presented this way. Maybe it's reminiscent of black felt lined cases or something.

I'd actually try some sort of felt background just to see what it looks like, but it might not work and if it looks fake in any way absolutely don't go with it.

You know more about coins than I do, you tell me.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
I would probably center it. Separate the comic navigation from the contact/subscribe buttons. The white space at the bottom is killing me.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

snucks posted:

I've got a personal portfolio site that's up but I haven't yet really told people about. I'm recently out of college and not totally sure where my life is headed so the portfolio itself is hampered by being excessively vague and generalized; it'll probably get more specialized as I do.
http://asvvenson.com/
I'm also pretty new to web design so I'm probably making a lot of rookie mistakes. Let me know what I'm doing wrong; I'm eager to fix it :3:

I think it's pretty solid. Being harsh:

I would remove the resume unless you have a specific need for it to be there. If you do keep it you need to overhaul the layout. That whole block isn't working.

I don't like the animation on the contact buttons. If they flipped along the other axis and were sped up a bit (like 2x) I think it'd work better. I hate the font you use for the contact info and would try handwriting that like you did with some of the other stuff.

I feel like the About title is unnecessary and maybe the Projects title as well.

I wish the rightmost column of projects lined up into the grid or broke it entirely. Right now it looks like a mistake.

If you do remove the resume part just get rid of the nav buttons. If you keep them look for a different font and speed up or remove the fade animation. Also look for a different font for the About info.

Anyways, I think it'll look really nice once you tweak some stuff.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Black Is Black posted:

Been working on this off and on. I could use some fresh eyeballs and whatnot. http://www.designapparat.us

Random thoughts:

- The mark in your logo is indecipherable at that size
- I don't understand what the tweets section contributes. Seems like it just adds clutter.
- If you scroll all the way down you see a continuation of the blueprints background. I find it distracting. I'd look for another solution for a footer.
- You have no obvious contact info. See the next comment...
- I understand that the message box goes to you, but the copy in the box makes it seem like you want me to lay out my entire problem up front. I personally find it imposing.
- I wouldn't mind seeing your work featured more prominently. I think that's where you're going to sell your services.
- I think you need to spend a lot of time working on the copy on the Work page. Specifically lay out what the challenge was and what you did to solve it. Show potential clients that you know your stuff. (This isn't web design per se, but I think this is by far the weakest part of the site)
- Don't keep a blog page unless the content on it is going to directly contribute to selling your service. Usually design firms that keep blogs use them to promote the idea that they maintain a certain culture (fun/friendly/creative/driven/etc) that will appeal to the target demographic.
- Not a fan of the font for the projects on the Work page. The kerning is completely hosed. Ka p ita ll

edit - I think the logo is a robotic arm? I almost went blind trying to figure it out.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

sim posted:

Testing out a redesign of single articles on a Wordpress blog:
http://www.fiat500abarth.us/2014/sr-auto-group-project-scorpione (old layout for comparison)

My goal was to create minimal, 100% content focused design. I also wanted it to look good on mobile. I'm using ZURB Foundation for most of the CSS. You'll notice there's no header or navigation to speak of, except for in the footer. I did this on purpose. I'm not sure how it's going to affect my SEO, but I wanted a clean slate and I think I've achieved that.

I would love any comments on the design or the code. Thanks!

Needs white space. I also don't care for the headline -> giant photo -> content layout. It's very confusing. Group the headlines with the body content and put the photos in between each topic.

I'd also experiment with matching the column width with the width of the photos or at least aligning them all on the left. Something about the center alignment is throwing me off.

Also to be honest the site has no character. It resembles something that was automatically generated.

Yip Yips fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 21, 2014

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Yeah it's looking a lot better every time I go back to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
That font is intended for large point titling and even then it's kind of ugly tbh.

• Locked thread