Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

Hello everyone! I would really appreciate some feedback. I am a newbie trying to get into freelance and I recently designed and developed my portfolio site. The goal is to instil a sense of web design and development competence when potential freelance clients visit my site.

http://aidanwaite.com

As an aside, how much would you say I should reasonable charge to design and develop a Wordpress site? (ballpark figure, ignoring functionality and project specifics).

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

Thank you everyone very much for all the feedback! The page will be crazy for a day or so while I'm changing and testing stuff based on all the awesome input you all gave me. Once I'm done and happy with the new version I'll edit this post and explain some choices and stuff. Until then please disregard the page.

Thanks again, much appreciated y'all! Samglover, I think I'll go for hobbyist@aidanwaite.com :j:

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

The Dave posted:

Again, that was dumb advice, so don't just bend to it if you don't want to.
Yeah I was just joking around. Okay so I finished a revision https://aidanwaite.com. I'll highlight some parts. I also put a shoutout to the SA forums in the footer :smug:

Fonts

I took Kedo's advice and switched to a bold and a light weight of Open Sans. I upped the font size on everything and I'm feeling it. Using the whole screen. Alright.

Cube animation

Inspired by Anony Mouse's pointing out that I just slightly tweaked a three.js example I set to experimenting with three.js further and eventually settled on what you see now. The way it's set up is on load it randomly picks between 2 birds and 4 mammals. These animals are in an infinite flying/running loop on top of the box header with the site title on it. There are divs on the left and right side of the screen that when pressed rotate the camera 90 degrees in that direction (or should I say PI / 2, amirite fellas).

Responsiveness

Turnt this up so it flows nicely-er. Works alright on my iPad and not at all on my iPhone so there's more work to do to tweak mobile. Looks like I'll need an image alternative to the three.js animated header on devices and browsers without openGL.

Pricing

Regarding pricing, thank you for the advice!

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

Anony Mouse posted:

Looks a lot better, nice work!

Thank you! The help is much appreciated.

my bony fealty posted:

A small improvement, but one that I would recommend: Add a custom favicon to your site. It isn't much but seeing something neat besides your website in a tab might encourage people to pay more attention to it.

Done and done! Thanks for the tip.

• Locked thread