Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
Latest Updates: New thread, no updates (06/14/2013)

about : This thread is a companion thread for the new Web Design & Development thread in the Cavern of Cobol. If you have coding questions do not post them here.

What can I post? Current web projects, old web projects, online portfolio reviews, mockups, prototypes, etc.

What to expect? Honest, unbiased, reviews from strangers on the internet. Some people in the thread may be involved in your industry (they should indicate this) so pay attention to the replies you get. Take negative critiques with a grain of salt and improve your design!

How to ask for a critique
  1. An introduction that presents the context of the project and then gives a clear and concise statement of the problem to solve.
  2. A list of design criteria in order of importance with the most important first.
  3. Post relevant images & links for the project. Do not break an NDA if you have one.

Critique Example

Intro

I designed a website which will be used to host funny articles and a forum. It should be so funny that people will give me $10 to have a forum account.

Design Criteria
  • The client really likes the color blue
  • It should list current articles
  • It should list popular forum posts

Images

Links

http://www.somethingawful.com

Oh My Science fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
Reserved.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
Yup, I have a project wrapping up that can be used to kick start the thread.

Don't be afraid goons, you don't have to be a developer to post something here.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

Megaspel posted:

I could use any criticism on colours, style, how feasible this is, what I could do to achieve some of my goals, the appropriateness of it, and anything really.

What kind of animation do you specialize in? If it has nothing to do with the web I would probably forgo fancy designs and stick to a more traditional / minimalist portfolio site. Unless done amazingly well, your plan could impact the user experience of your site and be a unnecessary distraction.

Your goal should be to draw peoples attention to your portfolio work, not the container it's in.

Edit: I think you could still plaster your face all over the background if it fits the overall look. It would have to be removed for mobile devices, which you've already covered.

Oh My Science fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 15, 2013

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

Although basic it does the job. One thing you can do right away is change the body background to #ede8e8 in order to match the content background color. Maybe it's just me but it looks a million times better without the dark background surrounding the content.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

Mewnie posted:

code:
a	{ example: test;
	 size: #; }
Using tabbing to keep things seperated and easier for me to read. Unless having tabs like that is bad. I know semantics is being heavily stressed in class.

Don't ever do this, I along with every other person who writes good CSS will murder you in your sleep.

Always assume other people will have access to or be editing your code, write CSS any code with others in mind. This means following standards as much as possible, writing comments, and encouraging others to do the same. Starting out with good habits is easier than fixing bad ones.

If you need help use tools like http://procssor.com/process or http://csscomb.com/ to make your code more legible.

The two examples used by WaffleSteak are great. If the css element has two or less rules a single line is A OK.

Coding questions belong in another thread.

Edit: If you are using Sublime Text, Textmate, or Chocolate.app they have support for CSS Prettify plugins and CSS Comb.

Oh My Science fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 4, 2013

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
I'm not a huge fan of the solid black background on all your images, including the header.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

Ron Don Volante posted:

Alright here's a side-by-side comparison:

What about a light grey? Maybe the same color as the background of the tags.

I get what you're saying, but the contrast just seems off with solid black.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
1. The trailer/teaser column seems unnecessary, removing it would leave more room for titles. This may prevent titles from taking two lines.

2. You need some kind of header up top explaining what trailerthingy is, and how it can help the user. A callout. In order to make a better suggestion we need to know more about your intentions with this website. Are you getting people to subscribe? Why should people view trailers on your website and not elsewhere? etc.

3. I agree that the way things are organized in the dropdowns isn't ideal, I'll draw something out later if I think of something.

4. The rows should have alternating colours, just a light grey or something.

Edit: I like his picture view idea vvvv

Oh My Science fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 18, 2013

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

Man_of_Teflon posted:

That's all I've got to start... any and all advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

Just a few quick comments while I'm at work:

1. In the main nav the first link "BUY A COLD PRESS JUICER" looks like an active link (styled differently from the others). What's the data look like for that? My first impression is that I'm already on that page, but maybe your data justifies the style change.

2. That's one giant wall'o text in the middle, not brief.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

As it stands there isn't enough content to judge how this site will perform. Others have already pointed out the obvious flaws with your navigation / font choices. Is the main content all on the front page? That may impact the below statement.

samglover posted:

If you want this to be easy to update, you should probably be using WordPress (or a comparable CMS).

This is probably the best advice so far. Eventually you won't be around to manage or maintain the site, using a CMS will make it easier to update content and change or edit themes.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

Do you have some more site like this that showcase nice sites? I really like to look through them for ideas to steal.

http://www.awwwards.com/ - Can search by category / tags.

Just google "website inspiration" and a lot pop up. Many of them use the same examples though, at least that has been my experience looking at multiple inspiration sites in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
With no database you might as well just do a completely static site.

Try looking into static site generators like Jekyll if you need a way to organize a bunch of articles. If it's just the occasional update here and there on a few pages going the traditional route is best I guess.

• Locked thread