Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seakindliness
Apr 23, 2009

thegasman2000 posted:

I will throw my new portfolio site up for some opinions. I may ignore them but there you go!

https://www.moneyspiderdesign.com

Where is your logo? First thing any client wants to see on a website is who the company is. Your logo needs to be up front, legible and ready to represent your business. I don't see it anywhere at the moment which leads me to wonder a couple of things 1) What is this company? 2) What does this company do?

Speaking of what is this company and what does it do? I land on your portfolio page immediately. Which is a good thing. But there's no context. Re-write your bio, and make it short. Then slap that bad boy above your portfolio so people see it right away. Think of something you can pitch to someone on an elevator. Two sentences (three tops) that describes who you are and what your work is so your visitors know what to expect. Are you print, web? Design and develop? Videographer? All of the above? Don't assume a visitor will instantly want to click on your portfolio items and puzzle out what your work means.

You need to include the image of the portfolio item along with the description when a visitor clicks on 'read more'. At the moment, I click on "read more", I go to another page with maybe a sentence of information and no image for context. Also, aside from clicking on 'Home' how is a visitor going to get back to your portfolio page?

I agree with most everything RobertKerans has already said, and want to underline that you might want to ditch the blog or start writing relevant, interesting and unique content for it on a regular basis. Otherwise, if you aren't going to bother with the blog or if your content isn't attracting visitors, you are better off without it. An empty blog hurts your site more than no blog at all. And if you're going to dump the blog, then you are probably better off not fussing with Wordpress unless, like RobertKerans said, you're a Wordpress theme designer.

Any way you could get better looking social media icons? The ones you have are blurry and there's some weird artifacts going on to the right of the Facebook icon. You can grab some icons here: http://www.webdesigntunes.com/freebies/funny-social-media-icons-sets/

Since you are using Wordpress, and if you don't plan to get rid of it, take advantage of its Jetpack plugin and use Jetpack's contact form. You can drop that thing anywhere on your page if you know even a little bit of PHP and if you couple the form with Akismet, you can prevent some douchebag from phishing your email address. I'd also recommend you put your contact form on your single portfolio page. Your contact page is useless right now because it's just a sentence with an arrow on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread