Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
People are really protective of their websites. Whenever I've offered to look over someones really messy website I've always received ultra-defensive responses akin to 'gently caress off it's mine', as if they are Gollum and I'm asking to borrow their ring or something. Also I guess developers hang out more in SHSC than here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Me too but for the reason I posted above I am reluctant to go first as I am a massive hypocrite.

Although I can a post a WIP of our work site re-design, mainly for feedback on the interface as it's very content-bare still. I want to add in a tiled thumbnail gallery to showcase our work but a lot of it is difficult to show off as a static image, so I'm working on an interactive solution which is reaaally time-consuming. I only started 'learning' web design about a week ago since every agency locally are uninspiring and time-inefficient.

Creepy Goat fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 10, 2013

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Suspicious Dish, what particularly about the icons don't you like? Generally the people we are 'selling' to are not the most tech-savvy so I tried to make the icons 'friendly' looking. Everyone I've shown so far in that target market has liked them, so I'd be interested to hear some critique.

I do need to update some of the assets like the favicon- the wonder of dropbox hosting is that the folder is synced to the files on my computer. I literally hit export from photoshop or illustrator and it automatically updates the file on the site. It's awesome. Regarding white space, we're still deciding on text and image content to go in so it will begin filling up. I used the carousel to accommodate extra 'slides' that will likely be added in the future. I am trying to get someone better at drawing than myself to do some illustrations for the Who We Are section too.

Transmogrifier I was toying with the idea of putting a 'down arrow' and header under each section and usin parallex scrolling to make each section flow into one-another, so that will be something I address once I've learnt how to do it. I did have a horizontal navbar previously but I just didn't like the aesthetic of it. Good point on the indicator, I totally forgot about that and even found myself clicking the same section twice without even registering that was something I could fix.

Just checked the cropping of the menu in Chrome and it's present too, didn't even think to try shrinking the window for testing purposes. Is there a go-to method for fixing that? The menu is pinned in place on the page, so I assume just removing the pinning would allow it to scale with the page? duh of course not, then it won't scroll with the page.

Creepy Goat fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 13, 2013

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Thanks, that's a lot of useful information. The company itself is recently founded as a splinter from our previous place of work, and we don't have anybody with an ounce of knowledge about graphic design so it's a bit of a learning curve. Are there any recommended blogs or recent publications on website interaction? I'm used to physical print (brochures, portfolios, presentation briefs etc) and moving to web has a lot of similarities but far more significant differences.

:v: Okay I'll ditch the carousels.

I really like LayerVault's approach, as our logo design came from the idea of putting a product (the cube) onto a screen (the flat box) and developed from there. Using more shapes and icons with depth would probably fit our (currently still evolving) brand a lot better. The Noun Project is fantastic even just for inspiration.

It's a lot more work than I would have guessed, but I need to learn since I don't think we'll be able to hire a designer anytime soon so it's worth putting in the hours to learn. I think the most important step right now is to sit down and consolidate all of the content that we want on the site and put it down on paper. I tend to jump off at the deep-end quite often, so it helps for someone to tell me to stop and go back to the basics else I get frustrated.

Creepy Goat fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 13, 2013

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Been really hectic the past week, but squeezed in some updates today. Probably need to re-think some of the text formatting when I get a chance, but everything else seems to have gone down well with those that have seen it. Let me know what you think!

Working on some new icons as well, one for each sub-header (Create, Develop, Support, Home, Think, Help), and four for the 'Our Work' section that will allow people to navigate between different types of work (Web, Video, etc). I was thinking of making the sub-header sections do the same thing, but I'll get to that when I've got the Our Work bit complete as that's more important right now.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Thanks made the z-axis and spacing fixes, but how do I go about making the landing page browser height? The whole site would look far better if I could make each section browser height, I'm just not sure how to do it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
I made the silly assumption of thinking it would be easy to design in Muse, then clean up / tweak code in Dreamweaver. I was sorely mistaken. I'll probably go in and re-do everything by hand when I have the time, I've just barely had an hour to myself this month. I tried to do it with div but refused to work so I'll try JS, cheers.

• Locked thread